Silent Hard Disks

Mummy

Regular
What is, in your opinion, the most silent Hard-Disk out there? i don't care if it's slow, could be a 4200 RPM for what i care, since it's for an emule servery, now with RMClock utility i tuned my a64 perfectly, adding silent hds would be teh silent box, any suggestion ?

Yeah silent pc gave surprisingly good marks to the WD 500GB that would be an ideal drive for HTPC I think.

Samsung SpinPoint series. I own a 250GB one that is a lot more quieter than my Seagate. In any case, take a look to silentpcreview.com if you are interested into silent computing. There are lots of articles and interesting stuff about silencing your computer.

Pretty much any 3.5" desktop HDD is 'silent' these days, possibly barring actuator noise, and I wouldn't want a slow actuator rather than a bit more silence since faster access speed is so important for disk IO performance. What you gotta watch out for with 3.5" units though is resonance. Particulary with drives with more than one platter (more mass spinning, meaning more vibrations), and PARTICULARY if you got more than one HDD installed.

I had to put my PC on a large rectangle of compressed foam rubber (basically car engine compartment insulation, that I bought at an auto dealership many years ago now), in order to stop the resonance in my box; I have 3 HDDs and 4 large fans plus 2 small ones mounted in it. Try that; disconnecting the entire PC chassis from the desk can lead to substantial noise savings!

Pretty much any 3.5" desktop HDD is 'silent' these days, possibly barring actuator noise, and I wouldn't want a slow actuator rather than a bit more silence since faster access speed is so important for disk IO performance. What you gotta watch out for with 3.5" units though is resonance. Particulary with drives with more than one platter (more mass spinning, meaning more vibrations), and PARTICULARY if you got more than one HDD installed.

I had to put my PC on a large rectangle of compressed foam rubber (basically car engine compartment insulation, that I bought at an auto dealership many years ago now), in order to stop the resonance in my box; I have 3 HDDs and 4 large fans plus 2 small ones mounted in it. Try that; disconnecting the entire PC chassis from the desk can lead to substantial noise savings!

No... no... no... that is not called resonance ;) What was happened in your case is when you put more than one hard disks in to the same structure and all the disks spin at the same RPM which results in higher harmonic force apply to the case's structure. I don't think all computer case will have its natural frequency at the same rate of Hard disk spidle, which if it was... your case would be saking insanely like mad since the case have only stiffness and less damping. The way you installed the insulation between the drive and the case is mean that you put some absorbing device in between so that it will absorb most the vabrating energy (harmonic force) from hard disks. However, if you are lucky that the harmonic of the drives have opposite phase, the force will likely to cancel each other, thus no vibration at all. The resonance problem in the hard disk is related to it head, and the weight on more disks will likely to cause unbalancing in the spin rotation. But this kind of unbalancing can be corrected at the drive manufacturing :D

Anyway, the most annoy saking thing nowaday I would nominate the DVD/CD device more than Hard disk.

Last edited by a moderator:
disconnecting the entire PC chassis from the desk can lead to substantial noise savings!
which is why I've always had mine sitting next to the desk... currently on top of the box with my CD collection in it :smile:

Pretty much any 3.5" desktop HDD is 'silent' these days, possibly barring actuator noise,

Unfortunately this is not true. It may be the case that some drives can't be heard over the rest of the racket that a PC makes, but that's a completely different thing from "silent".

I have 3 HDDs and 4 large fans plus 2 small ones mounted in it.

Ahh... this explains much :)

Regarding the Samsung spinpoints, these were the quiet drives of choice a few years ago (the P80 series), when suspended and with AAM enabled they were virtually inaudible outside a case (a case with no fans that is!). The more recent models are much more noisy, and even the P80 now isn't what it was since Samsung started sourcing the drive motors from Nidec instead of JVC. As far as I'm aware there's nothing on the 3.5" market currently which is as quiet as the P80's were.

Look at silent pc review they say the 500gb WD is very quiet, they companred it to the old samsung drives and I think they said it was quieter, but the vibrations were worse so you need to rubber mount it.

I just bought a 500GB WD RE2 drive, and hot damn, it's silent. I thought my previous Seagate 7200.7 was silent but this is really impressive! Highly recommended.

A couple of years ago, I built a chamber out of wood and "silencing foam", hanging a 2.5" drive in rubber straps inside of the chamber. That was 100% silent. But neither practical nor good performance...

I am glad to hear that BTW it is on my "to buy list" but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I want a SATA burner, and that HDD for my HTPC to clear up the internals and quiet it down a lot. I will still need a better motherboard, but that can be done later. (mine has a loud Heatsink on it)

Back