Should XBox Scorpio be an 'open PC' like MSX? *spawn

Other than Metal Gear, I'm not seeing much there that's special.
Only Metal Gear? Could you tell me a friends of yours who played a videogame sometime, if they know about Bomberman? Most likely 100% of your friends know or have played Bomberman.

Parodius is also very popular. Somewhat less but still popular is Aleste. And many kids of the 90s played Penguin Adventura.

Microsoft are themselves playing two different fields, consoles and Windows 10. If they want a ecosystem, their approach of getting rid of Xbox exclusives is somewhat understandable. However, what's the point of doing so when many people buy a machine to play its exclusivities? That means less sales.
If people are buying games on MS's software platform they won't care. Ultimately if people buy PCs to play UWP games, saving MS the effort of maintaining hardware, that's a win for them. Until then, they want a 'trojan horse' to help grow Windows Store. That'd be a console. If that same console let's people run Windows and other game services, it'd completely defeat the point. Instead of buying a console, buying games over Windows Store (or UWP games on XBox Store), and building up a library that encourages them to buy a Windows PC instead of a Mac and a Windows phone instead of iPhone or Android, people would buy the hardware and source the software cheap from Steam and GOG, reducing MS's profits and failing to grow their ecosystem.

Yes, what you describe is more flexible and better for gamers, but it's a business dead-end.
Only Metal Gear? Could you tell me a friends of yours who played a videogame sometime, if they know about Bomberman? Most likely 100% of your friends know or have played Bomberman.
Yes, Bomberman is fairly well known, but it also released on other devices than MSX. Wiki suggests it was the NES that made it popular.

Parodius is also very popular. Somewhat less but still popular is Aleste. And many kids of the 90s played Penguin Adventura.
Never heard of them.

The concept as you describe, then was not bad, it was the marketing of the machine, the complex console industry at the time with Sega en Nintendo battling for supremacy and only Sony managed to compete and then reign, but it sounds more like the Jaguar which wasn't bad but needed that something extra to beat Nintendo and Sega. Maybe it hadn't much to do with the concept of 3DO itself.
The MSX predated PlayStation by over a decade. Sony offered their own MSX model, the Sony HB-F1XDJ, which only sold in Japan.

Some iconic sagas were created on the MSX only as initial MSX games, like R-Type or Aleste, etc...
R-Type was an arcade game and Aleste was released on SEGA Maser System game before it hit MSX. Let's not rewrite history. :nope:

Project Scorpio (or any MS gaming console) can be served well as being a Windows gaming machine. There's some synergies there that make sense, like lowering the development cost of deploying a game to console and PC.

There are, however, no benefits and large downsides for Microsoft to open it up as a general Windows computing device (like a PC).
  • The console is at best always going to be a low margin device. In a closed system like a console, those margins are boosted by software sales on the platform. In an open system where you don't control where people buy software, offering a device that is very low margin and possibly 0 or negative margin makes no business sense.
  • Microsoft relies heavily on their OEM partners. This makes it significantly easier for them to scale Windows devices to fit an extremely diverse array of hardware solutions. As they only have to focus on providing the software and not the myriads of hardware designs to address everything from low end budget consumer devices to high end data center installations. Pissing off their OEMs by cutting them out of the budget PC market would not go well for Microsoft. Even more so considering Project Scorpio as an open Windows machine would likely cannibalize the more lucrative 1000 USD OEM PC market. Even more so as it would cannibalize the higher margin OEM PC gaming market, a high margin PC segment that is still growing even as general PC machine sales decline.
It'd certain be nice to have a 400 USD console that could service most of my general PC needs (work related stuff would require a more capable CPU). But it'd be virtual suicide for Microsoft to provide such a device.

There's a reason that the hardware they sell to consumers doesn't directly compete with their OEM partners. Their OEM partners are the foundation of Microsoft remaining successful and profitable. Surface Pro was designed to address a market segment that OEMs were unwilling to address. And once it was successful, instead of locking their OEM partners out of its design, they encouraged their OEM partners to copy the Surface Pro design as much as they wanted. The end result? Microsoft Surface Pro sales are down YoY as OEM designs take away sales. And overall, Microsoft are happy with this, as the machines are still using Windows.

The only way I see Xbox as a console being opened up as a general Windows PC would be if Microsoft allowed OEMs to make Xbox consoles and then price their own Xbox console to be similar in price to the OEM Xbox console. In other words, the console would require guaranteed higher margins. The practical effect would be much higher priced Xbox consoles which would then no longer be attractive compared to PlayStation consoles as it'd be priced much closer to a comparable high margin gaming OEM PC.

That would in effect keep their OEMs from being unhappy with Microsoft and prevent a MS manufactured Xbox from being incredibly unprofitable (small margin console hardware wouldn't begin to cover operating expenses).

Regards,
SB

I could see them going with just support UWP/DirecxtX 12 games. Similar to the just announced Windows 10 S on the Surface Laptop.

Tommy McClain

Last edited:
I could see them going with just support UWP/DirecxtX 12 games. Similar to the just announced Windows 10 S on the Surface Laptop.

Tommy McClain

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
they've already said that both x1 & Scorpio will support full uwp games by end of year.
that wont mean uwp wrapped win32 though. As that would require win32 libraries.
so with that and uwp apps, I personally think for a console its pretty open and versatile.

their even opening up store for self publishing, won't be able to have multiplayer or achievements though. For that you will then have to move it into id@xbox.
will get a lot of shovel wear but at least its segregated and will allow for possibility of some gems in the making to maybe get released.

If people are buying games on MS's software platform they won't care. Ultimately if people buy PCs to play UWP games, saving MS the effort of maintaining hardware, that's a win for them. Until then, they want a 'trojan horse' to help grow Windows Store. That'd be a console.
UWP needs to be a huge success to keep windows relevant in that sense and relied on. So there's a good chance Microsoft may go to really push all of Windows features into the home, outperforming and out functioning other devices. I guess there is something more than a console war riding on this, and in fact it's never been that, if we take into account why Xbox was created in the first place.

If that same console let's people run Windows and other game services, it'd completely defeat the point. Instead of buying a console, buying games over Windows Store (or UWP games on XBox Store), and building up a library that encourages them to buy a Windows PC instead of a Mac and a Windows phone instead of iPhone or Android, people would buy the hardware and source the software cheap from Steam and GOG, reducing MS's profits and failing to grow their ecosystem.

Yes, what you describe is more flexible and better for gamers, but it's a business dead-end.
Your theory sounds reasonable, business wise.... it could also go in circles. The console market is unpredictable. Switch is breaking all records left and right...Nintendo use their imagination very well, although it's not super uber revolutionary, it is a tad better than similar devices.

If you sell hardware running your ecosystem the more chances you have to sell your own stuff, especially on a console where you had the closed hardware layer for great performance and you can offer a Play Anywhere service for people who want to play with PC gamer friends.

Again, if you get rid of true exclusives.... This has been the fly in the ointment, there has to be a reason.

Switch is breaking all records left and right...
That means squat, I'm afraid (even if true. Left and right?). Long term sales are what's important. Interestingly, if Switch played Steam games it'd probably sell many, many more. And/or played Android games. But then Nintendo would lose software sells...

If you sell hardware running your ecosystem the more chances you have to sell your own stuff.
The more options for alternative software services on your platform, the less chance you have of selling your own stuff. Would you rather have an install base of 100 million with 10% using your shop, or 20 million with 100% using your shop? There are few good reasons for people to use Windows Store. A console releasing with the current style Store and access to GOG, Steam, etc., is going to sell practically no software from the Store AFAICS. If the reasons to use Windows Store are that compelling on Scorpio that everyone wants to use it instead of GOG and Steam, then people would be doing that now on PC, no?

MS need to make the Store the place everyone buys their software. Until then, it's suicide to sell a box that lets people use other people's shops. A closed box 'forces' growth of your software ecosystem, increasing the reasons for non-console owners to use it on their PC or mobile or whatever.

I am thinking of the Amiga CD 32 here. It would have ended in rampant piracy, once CD-R got available and affordable.. or even much earlier, if adding a floppy drive.
You can even burn a CD with one hundred Amiga 500 games if you like.

So, there was a computer-as-a-console which wasn't quite locked down. It also seemed to come with previous-gen games!, even though there's no console version of the previous gen : repackaged Amiga 500 games with a CD Audio soundtrack were a cheap and easy way to release something, although the console has Amiga 1200 hardware which is more advanced (games for the A1200 aren't well-known anyway)

But had it been not bogged down in a patent lawsuit which also bankrupted and killed off Commodore for good, I am sure it would have been a popular and classic console, with a good few years where CD piracy wasn't too big a concern. Perhaps a couple millions to fight off the bogus lawsuit would have been enough, esp. if the lawyering had managed for the console not suffering a quite literal naval blockade. Of course by then Commodore had wasted way too much money and engineering on useless computers like the Commodore 16 and Plus 4 in the 80s and the CDTV in early 90s. If you wonder the latter is a "multimedia CD-ROM appliance" thing i.e. overpriced garbage that no one wanted, to read multimedia encyclopedias on the living room's TV and the like. (but add the missing keyb, mouse and floppy and it's a full advanced 80s computer)

I wonder if Commodore collected royalties for CD 32 games. I guess they did, for the logo on the CD case. But my guess is there would have been rogue and self-published games, that also happen to work in 32bit Amiga computers with CD-ROM drive attached. So, is that a computer game or a console game? Just say it's a computer game and you won't have to pay royalties (perhaps that's one reason banks/investors didn't chip in)

Dishonorable mentions : the Atari XE game system (outdated, can use a keyboard etc. to turn into a souped up 1979 computer), Commodore 64 GS (outdated computer with no keyboard. you can use old cartridge games and be stuck because you miss the keyboard to navigate the game menu), Amstrad GX4000 (too bad, it was cute and had a good color palette. But two buttons on the controller with no start/select in 1990?), Apple Bandai Pippin : multimedia CD-ROM with slow ass Internet!

Turn a console into a computer : this existed although usually disastrous. That was the Coleco Adam in 1983, and perhaps rarely the Amiga CD 32 (with third party expansions). The PS2 linux kit later ; Dreamcast was maybe almost there (keyb, mouse and the built-in modem), it sure did accidentally support execution of arbitrary code because they built some support for.. multimedia CD-ROM! Then PS3 had computer mode out of the box : effectively linux on a slow single core hyperthreaded CPU, 256MB RAM and raw 2D graphics. But that was good enough for people to like it, until that ended in removal and law suit.

It's possible to sell the upgrade from console to computer. MS has just announced something very similar, Windows 10 S is half way between a console and a computer like an iPhone/iPad iOS thing is. They sell a $49 "upgrade" (that is likely a glorified registry setting). I can certainly imagine MS selling a Windows 10 version for say $99 to run on the Scorpio. MS is also a good keyboard and mouse vendor (this is what I give them credit for ;)). I guess the piracy or unlicensed (to them) games, stores, applications wouldn't be a big deal then. The desktop and laptop OEMs would not appreciate the competition. MS would endanger its position by pissing off the Dells, Acers and Lenovos (/edit : as you said Jay on the first page). But as it was already said, the slow CPU is impractical. You'd get high end PC games running at a smooth 20 fps no matter the resolution.

Last edited:
The MSX predated PlayStation by over a decade. Sony offered their own MSX model, the Sony HB-F1XDJ, which only sold in Japan.

R-Type was an arcade game and Aleste was released on SEGA Maser System game before it hit MSX. Let's not rewrite history. :nope:
That's good to know, and I am quite surprised, just to an extent... because making some revisionism you are in for a few surprises. Britain's nascent computer industry at the time had some other devices like the Sinclair..., afaik I think a cousin of mine from the place where Manchester United played tonight, had one, iirc --that or it was a Spectrum.. but I remember seeing one of those when my parents visited my uncle and aunt, it wanst in a working state but the black mate colour and the keyboard looked very cool to anyone.

As for MSX the business model was quite identical to PC's MS-DOS and what is now Windows business model, I think.

Tommy McClain
It is aimed at students, that's what I've heard. Maybe that's the W10 version that is likely to be in Scorpio, if any? Shifty's theory would make sense then.

That means squat, I'm afraid (even if true. Left and right?). Long term sales are what's important. Interestingly, if Switch played Steam games it'd probably sell many, many more. And/or played Android games. But then Nintendo would lose software sells...

The more options for alternative software services on your platform, the less chance you have of selling your own stuff. Would you rather have an install base of 100 million with 10% using your shop, or 20 million with 100% using your shop? There are few good reasons for people to use Windows Store. A console releasing with the current style Store and access to GOG, Steam, etc., is going to sell practically no software from the Store AFAICS. (....)

MS need to make the Store the place everyone buys their software. Until then, it's suicide to sell a box that lets people use other people's shops. A closed box 'forces' growth of your software ecosystem, increasing the reasons for non-console owners to use it on their PC or mobile or whatever.
Theoretically If I weren't morbidly curious about Scorpio and some of the hints at its design -like the green and blue stripes as in Play Anywhere- those thoughts of it being a Windows machine wouldn't be there, but Steam wanted to show the path to go with their steam machines, just like they did with their store, which is an example for many (I very much like GoG, and kinda prefer it though).

If the reasons to use Windows Store are that compelling on Scorpio that everyone wants to use it instead of GOG and Steam, then people would be doing that now on PC, no?
This I highly doubt, but it's still up in the air.

The point was that more hardware sales the more likely people are to buy a game on your system, and by that I mean a typical game in Scorpio console mode. If that game is UWP and Play Anywhere buying it for Scorpio means that you could play it on PC mode for free, with your friends on PC. But yes, the more I think about it the less I think is going to happen.

I am thinking of the Amiga CD 32 here. It would have ended in rampant piracy, once CD-R got available and affordable.. or even much earlier, if adding a floppy drive.
You can even burn a CD with one hundred Amiga 500 games if you like.

So, there was a computer-as-a-console which wasn't quite locked down. It also seemed to come with previous-gen games!, even though there's no console version of the previous gen : repackaged Amiga 500 games with a CD Audio soundtrack were a cheap and easy way to release something, although the console has Amiga 1200 hardware which is more advanced (games for the A1200 aren't well-known anyway)

But had it been not bogged down in a patent lawsuit which also bankrupted and killed off Commodore for good, I am sure it would have been a popular and classic console, with a good few years where CD piracy wasn't too big a concern. Perhaps a couple millions to fight off the bogus lawsuit would have been enough, esp. if the lawyering had managed for the console not suffering a quite literal naval blockade. Of course by then Commodore had wasted way too much money and engineering on useless computers like the Commodore 16 and Plus 4 in the 80s and the CDTV in early 90s. If you wonder the latter is a "multimedia CD-ROM appliance" thing i.e. overpriced garbage that no one wanted, to read multimedia encyclopedias on the living room's TV and the like. (but add the missing keyb, mouse and floppy and it's a full advanced 80s computer)

I wonder if Commodore collected royalties for CD 32 games. I guess they did, for the logo on the CD case. But my guess is there would have been rogue and self-published games, that also happen to work in 32bit Amiga computers with CD-ROM drive attached. So, is that a computer game or a console game? Just say it's a computer game and you won't have to pay royalties (perhaps that's one reason banks/investors didn't chip in)

Dishonorable mentions : the Atari XE game system (outdated, can use a keyboard etc. to turn into a souped up 1979 computer), Commodore 64 GS (outdated computer with no keyboard. you can use old cartridge games and be stuck because you miss the keyboard to navigate the game menu), Amstrad GX4000 (too bad, it was cute and had a good color palette. But two buttons on the controller with no start/select in 1990?), Apple Bandai Pippin : multimedia CD-ROM with slow ass Internet!

Turn a console into a computer : this existed although usually disastrous. That was the Coleco Adam in 1983, and perhaps rarely the Amiga CD 32 (with third party expansions). The PS2 linux kit later ; Dreamcast was maybe almost there (keyb, mouse and the built-in modem), it sure did accidentally support execution of arbitrary code because they built some support for.. multimedia CD-ROM! Then PS3 had computer mode out of the box : effectively linux on a slow single core hyperthreaded CPU, 256MB RAM and raw 2D graphics. But that was good enough for people to like it, until that ended in removal and law suit.

It's possible to sell the upgrade from console to computer. MS has just announced something very similar, Windows 10 S is half way between a console and a computer like an iPhone/iPad iOS thing is. They sell a $49 "upgrade" (that is likely a glorified registry setting). I can certainly imagine MS selling a Windows 10 version for say $99 to run on the Scorpio. MS is also a good keyboard and mouse vendor (this is what I give them credit for ;)). I guess the piracy or unlicensed (to them) games, stores, applications wouldn't be a big deal then. The desktop and laptop OEMs would not appreciate the competition. MS would endanger its position by pissing off the Dells, Acers and Lenovos (/edit : as you said Jay on the first page). But as it was already said, the slow CPU is impractical. You'd get high end PC games running at a smooth 20 fps no matter the resolution.
this post is Wikipedia worthy. Some of the devices you talk about are very specific models that you remember and it surprises me. the fact that some of them are evoking MSX in some way makes you think that the era was so device rich that it was complicated to reign.

What are your fondest memories from a specific device of those you mention? My fondest PC gaming memories are from my old Pentium 100 featuring 32MB of RAM.

It was my first PC, where I played the shit out of The Need for Speed on, and Microsoft Golf was a gift from the salesman at a store which is now a Game store-. It was the first PC to offer games that rivaled what people were playing on consoles at the time.

PC gaming then is characterized in a few ways - it typically showcased a 16 bit VGA palette-indexed colour at most, music tended to be MIDI from a SoundBlaster compatible card and I had the awesome -at the time- SoundBlaster AWE 32 with wavetable synthesis for MIDI, the MIDI port was used for controllers, and can´t remember what was the controller supreme but I think Sidewinder by MS looked the coolest, and most everything was still MS-DOS.

There was still a focus on 3D gaming, or an hybrid, but most of the focus was on 2D gaming, in typical genres more often seen on home consoles than on PC, with PC exclusive shoot'em ups, fighting games, and also platformers, to the normal PC fodder like adventure games, strategy games -Command & Conquer-, and FPS games.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - believe it or not, was the first version of Street Fighter 2 I owned -got it in 1997-, and it was so thrilling. The MS-DOS version was pixel perfect.

I remember a console gamer, best childhood friend who owned many consoles, from NES to Megadrive and he had the PS1 when I got my first PC in September 1995, and he was so surprised that I remember him watching my PC and trembling with envy, literally. I played many times on his console though.

Btw, I purchased a new PC today.

1. personally, no I don't wish they would. I've got a pc, but I also like idea of consoles also.
Finally, I got a PC too. I keep firm on my idea of having a single platform to focus my free time on one, and I can use the PC all the time for that. Plus Xbox exclusive games will run on PC too. If MS releases the X360 emulator for PC someday then it would be perfect.

I couldn't want to go over budget and I got this --my goal, 1080p 60fps at ultra settings on basically any game, is achieved:

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHZ
(CPU)
MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor 4G OC 4GB GDDR5 (GPU)
MSI B350M Gaming Pro (Motherboard)
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 8GB 2x4GB CL16 (RAM) (could go with 16GB of slower DDR4 but I remember a Digital Foundry article on the Intel 6600k where they mentioned that overclocking the CPU was less important than having a faster DDR4, so I went with 3200MHz DDR4, max supported by the mobo)
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 7200rpm (Hard drive)
Tacens Mars Gaming MC0 (Box)
Corsair VS450 450W VS Series 80 Plus (Power supply)

747.07€ total (assembly + Paypal expenses included)

Benchmarks, 1080p 60 fps is realistic enough:

Last edited:
That's good to know, and I am quite surprised, just to an extent... because making some revisionism you are in for a few surprises. Britain's nascent computer industry at the time had some other devices like the Sinclair..., afaik I think a cousin of mine from the place where Manchester United played tonight, had one, iirc --that or it was a Spectrum..

It was the Spectrum, [Clive] Sinclair was the designer. Unless you're talking about the kit ZX80 or pre-built ZX81.

It was known in full as the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, abbreviated to Spectrum, Speccy, or more rarely Sinclair.

In full it included the RAM size, 16k or 48k. So there!

this post is Wikipedia worthy. Some of the devices you talk about are very specific models that you remember and it surprises me. the fact that some of them are evoking MSX in some way makes you think that the era was so device rich that it was complicated to reign.

What are your fondest memories from a specific device of those you mention? My fondest PC gaming memories are from my old Pentium 100 featuring 32MB of RAM.

It was my first PC, where I played the shit out of The Need for Speed on, and Microsoft Golf was a gift from the salesman at a store which is now a Game store-. It was the first PC to offer games that rivaled what people were playing on consoles at the time.

PC gaming then is characterized in a few ways - it typically showcased a 16 bit VGA palette-indexed colour at most, music tended to be MIDI from a SoundBlaster compatible card and I had the awesome -at the time- SoundBlaster AWE 32 with wavetable synthesis for MIDI, the MIDI port was used for controllers, and can´t remember what was the controller supreme but I think Sidewinder by MS looked the coolest, and most everything was still MS-DOS.

There was still a focus on 3D gaming, or an hybrid, but most of the focus was on 2D gaming, in typical genres more often seen on home consoles than on PC, with PC exclusive shoot'em ups, fighting games, and also platformers, to the normal PC fodder like adventure games, strategy games -Command & Conquer-, and FPS games.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - believe it or not, was the first version of Street Fighter 2 I owned -got it in 1997-, and it was so thrilling. The MS-DOS version was pixel perfect.

I remember a console gamer, best childhood friend who owned many consoles, from NES to Megadrive and he had the PS1 when I got my first PC in September 1995, and he was so surprised that I remember him watching my PC and trembling with envy, literally. I played many times on his console though.

Btw, I purchased a new PC today.

Yep it's like ended up writing some blog post or article, but I never quite had those systems (briefly used the GX 4000, found in a garage sale)
Had some good moments with the Dreamcast, in particular with a game called Shadow Man (we also had a Marvel vs Capcom game) but we got it used ; the console died out on the market - wouldn't have been a big deal but ours physically died too. Just before I would have committed a ton of copyright infringement and legally dubious use of emulators.

We had a similar PC with a Cyrix 6x86, this was childhood and yes we had good times, many things but I can mention Dark Forces in particular. What was unique is the rather cinematic adventures games like Full Throttle and The Dig. The tech certainly didn't feel limiting. It's as if a team made a million dollar flash game with professional voice acting in your local language. Some late DOS games like these two had digital music rather than midi, sidestepping the issue of adlib-like vs various brands and sizes of wavetables. We had simple Sound Blaster 16 and so music wasn't always good or important (the aforementioned Dark Forces was an example of making good use of it). Some other games used CD Audio on the game's CD as the music.
Some of them we had on the 486 before and some on a very low end 386SX before, like the Indiana Jones games and KGB / Conspiracy. This later is screen based adventure game (static first person like Dune) where a lot of the action is in text descriptions written in the 2nd person, often describing the way you've died or been sent to Siberia, or Wrangel Island, or along the sino-soviet border etc. as your most common game over. If you manage to reach the second chapter, there's eventually a point where you have to get rid of a dead body in your hotel room (the guy wanted to kill you in the bathroom for knowing too much or something like that). So you select "Move" from the pop out menu to move the dead guy across doors etc., have to steel a wheel chair and dress the guy in trench coat etc. but of course you can throw the guy out of the hotel's window.
Then the game reads you a description of the reactions you "hear" from the streets and signs of the militia getting on the scene and coming to bust you. So it was a source of things to laugh or joke about with the brothers (that's good memories)

Most multiplayer was on the SNES instead and then the N64, including Street Figther II Turbo, Mario Kart Contra III and too many to list.
You were lucky to have a good Street Fighter II on the PC! The first one released for DOS was a joke (I think I found a demo years after the fact), in fact it's not a game, the graphics are there but it's just completely unplayable and unfinished. Like you bought a cheap arcade or game conversion for one among the C64, Spectrum, Amstrad, Atari etc. but it's shovelware made by a different company, while some other platform may have the real thing.
There was a bit of single seat multiplayer on the PC (a famous example might be Worms), in particular there's Big Red Racing which is a 3D game (very decent), split screen, that doesn't take itself seriously but is very wall made, varied (every track has its environment and vehicles) and plays on the same keyboard for two players.

Now to conclude perhaps it would be good to get a cheap iOS or large-ish Android device to use strictly for games as there are many ports, re-releases and remakes it seems (often found by fooling around on wikiepedia). I've otherwise refused to get Android etc. gear for a few reasons.
This allows me to coincide with the thread's topic : Android and iOS are the closest thing to a computer/console hybrid, are established with thousands of game. I'm sure there are a lot of garbage, games where you buy smurfberries with credit card, games that spy on your contacts etc., and ten thousand titles like (I suppose) Angry Birdz, Angered Birdies, Cookie Crush, Candy Clutch, Clandy Crutch. But I'm sure you can use the web and discover the good games in a way or another.

It was the Spectrum, [Clive] Sinclair was the designer. Unless you're talking about the kit ZX80 or pre-built ZX81.
It was known in full as the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, abbreviated to Spectrum, Speccy, or more rarely Sinclair.
oh nevermind, I thought they were two completely different things. I think my cousin called it the Sinclair. Since Britain is its country of birth things were different there perhaps?

First time I heard about it being called Speccy.

The keyboard looked so futuristic to me, that's when for the first time in my entire life I thought "computers are my thing", I was awestruck at the keyboard layout and how fun had it to be touching the keys to achieve results. I was completely enthused and fascinated just looking at it --had seen great consoles like the Atari 2600 or the NES, by then, but never felt the same thrill because they lacked the keyboard and stuff.

I proud owner of the 48k, not working though

If i had any soldering skills, i´d tried to fix it lol
Tell @DSoup or @Shifty Geezer about it, I think about them and then I think about a nick like Mr. Fixit. ;)

Yep it's like ended up writing some blog post or article, but I never quite had those systems (briefly used the GX 4000, found in a garage sale)
Had some good moments with the Dreamcast, in particular with a game called Shadow Man (we also had a Marvel vs Capcom game) but we got it used ; the console died out on the market - wouldn't have been a big deal but ours physically died too. Just before I would have committed a ton of copyright infringement and legally dubious use of emulators.
As I said, the most similar system I had seen was the "Sinclair" (Spectrum).

Never had the Dreamcast, nor I ever seen one in person iirc. Back then my best friend had the PS1 and got the PS2, and those I played them thoroughly at his house, while I was into the PC at home of course --completely different philosophy and games. I always hear good things about the Dreamcast from Sega fans.

We had a similar PC with a Cyrix 6x86, this was childhood and yes we had good times, many things but I can mention Dark Forces in particular. What was unique is the rather cinematic adventures games like Full Throttle and The Dig. The tech certainly didn't feel limiting. It's as if a team made a million dollar flash game with professional voice acting in your local language. Some late DOS games like these two had digital music rather than midi, sidestepping the issue of adlib-like vs various brands and sizes of wavetables. We had simple Sound Blaster 16 and so music wasn't always good or important (the aforementioned Dark Forces was an example of making good use of it). Some other games used CD Audio on the game's CD as the music.
A Cyrix? Hah, that's cool. I can recall the Cyrix 6x86 at the store catalogue where I purchased my first PC. Wasn't it the equivalent to the Pentium 100? Or the Pentium overall? iirc the 486 equivalent was the Cyrix 5x86.

Never wanted one because of reviews in PC magazines at the time. They said that the Cyrix was a 32 bit CPU like the Pentium but it wasn't an actual 32 bits CPU or something like that, according to the, just a 16 bits CPU with like 16 bit + 16 bits registers, can't remember it all very well, but it wasn't loved by PC magazine reviewers.

I wanted a Pentium Pro instead of a Pentium 100, but I had read it was meant for servers and maybe I was right not to get it with a Windows 95 machine.

Some of them we had on the 486 before and some on a very low end 386SX before, like the Indiana Jones games and KGB / Conspiracy. This later is screen based adventure game (static first person like Dune) where a lot of the action is in text descriptions written in the 2nd person, often describing the way you've died or been sent to Siberia, or Wrangel Island, or along the sino-soviet border etc. as your most common game over.
Even from that era, and after playing console games at the house my best childhood friend, I read pages of a magazine called Micromania and I was impressed by PC graphics, despite running on 386 or 486 processors. Indiana Jones, adventures like Elvira, etc, had very beaufiful cartoony graphics and a graphics style that was very very different from console games which were like cleaner -more square shaped so to say-, but less complex in my eyes.

I had also seen a 286 PC in my school and people always talked about the News, that you could see the News in it, like something related to the internet.

If you manage to reach the second chapter, there's eventually a point where you have to get rid of a dead body in your hotel room (the guy wanted to kill you in the bathroom for knowing too much or something like that). So you select "Move" from the pop out menu to move the dead guy across doors etc., have to steel a wheel chair and dress the guy in trench coat etc. but of course you can throw the guy out of the hotel's window.
Then the game reads you a description of the reactions you "hear" from the streets and signs of the militia getting on the scene and coming to bust you. So it was a source of things to laugh or joke about with the brothers (that's good memories)
haha, those were the kind of things that impressed you in games, elements of the game reacting to your actions in a logical way. Especially in a time where one is more easily impressed.

In arcades digital voices where a thing, and the volume of the machines was soooooo loud to enhance that... Neo Geo games were so exaggerated in that sense, but that impressed people.

Something that also impressed me was the typical digitalised screen, where you could see images that looked like photos. If you had a Megadrive or SNES like my best friend did, any digitalised voice or any screen with a huge character on it drawn all over, looked incredible!!

One wondered, "how they did pull that off? They wasted a lot of memory there."

You were lucky to have a good Street Fighter II on the PC! The first one released for DOS was a joke (I think I found a demo years after the fact), in fact it's not a game, the graphics are there but it's just completely unplayable and unfinished. Like you bought a cheap arcade or game conversion for one among the C64, Spectrum, Amstrad, Atari etc. but it's shovelware made by a different company, while some other platform may have the real thing.
Well, yes, lucky me I first played Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on MS-DOS. Talked about it a few days ago with a friend who mentioned the original SF2 MSDOS version just for comparison and shared this video with me. Nuff' said....

There was a bit of single seat multiplayer on the PC (a famous example might be Worms), in particular there's Big Red Racing which is a 3D game (very decent), split screen, that doesn't take itself seriously but is very wall made, varied (every track has its environment and vehicles) and plays on the same keyboard for two players.
Single seat multiplayer was a thing with one of my favourite franchises ever, Heroes of Might & Magic -especially 2, 3 and 5-. But I discovered Heroes of Might & Magic very late, because single seat multiplayer in HoMM 3 was very common in 1999, but I had never played the franchise then.

Now to conclude perhaps it would be good to get a cheap iOS or large-ish Android device to use strictly for games as there are many ports, re-releases and remakes it seems (often found by fooling around on wikiepedia). I've otherwise refused to get Android etc. gear for a few reasons.
This allows me to coincide with the thread's topic : Android and iOS are the closest thing to a computer/console hybrid, are established with thousands of game. I'm sure there are a lot of garbage, games where you buy smurfberries with credit card, games that spy on your contacts etc., and ten thousand titles like (I suppose) Angry Birdz, Angered Birdies, Cookie Crush, Candy Clutch, Clandy Crutch. But I'm sure you can use the web and discover the good games in a way or another.
Had an Android phone and never tried except for the most basic games like Snake. I play very little on my phone, despite having purchased a few emulators. In addition, the issue I found with android games is that all of them look kind of flash like games to me.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Back