Shenmue 3

I want to play lots of mini-games for fighting scrolls.

I want to learn fighting moves from random people, like hotdog salesmen and harbour bums.

I want to be able to practice a lot in atmospheric but vacant spaces to become bad ass.

I want to have another 70 man battle. What the hell, make it a 71 man battle.

I want to be able to do lots of seemingly mundane stuff to help random motherfuckers.

You know, stuff that most gamers don't want to do.

When Shenmue 2 was released it was the best game ever (after NiGHTS maybe...). However, I am a bit worried how Suzuki will manage without the old AM2 team....

Yu Suzuki took much of AM2 with him when he opened his own studio. As he's said a few times now, the only problem is money.

If any of you care about this, I implore you to share it on every forum / podcast / youtube video you partake in.

In an interview Suzuki said he's trying to get back as many people who worked on the originals to help finish Shenmue III.

Also, unless you're a game hating reprobate you should watch this. It's Mark Cerny, the Daddy of the PS4 giving mad props (and translations, which is cool and means he's a genuinely multiskillezed dood) to Yu "I Love him" Suzuki while he talks about Shenmue and the challenge of making basically the most ambitious game for it's time using "fuck all" and while have to make everything else up from scratch.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/219314/Video_Shenmue_postmortem_from_Yu_Suzuki_and_Mark_Cerny.php

I'm rewatching that video.

I am blown away by Yu Suzuki's ambition and Cerny's dedication in communicating for Yu Suzuki.

Shenmue 1, Dreamcast, Shenmue 2, xbox, Shenmue 3, PS4.

Hopefully it comes with an hour long prologue else most people won't have a clue what the story is.

Before I start replying I just wanna say how disappointed I am reading all these comments...no one has yet to mention how SEGA used Shenmue elements to make Ryu Go Gotoku aka Yakuza series which are two games on PS2 and five games on PS3 where apparently in Japan the game has a following and the localized for North America didn't sell so well.

Now we are on PS4 which already has two Yakuza games at least in Japan already...hence a lot of development at Sega has been done so since Sony and Corny and Suzuki are teaming up we are in for a completely new experience considering the original Shenmue was started on Sega Saturn.

Yeah, translating the old art style and model proportions to a far higher quality engine doesn't quite work. Needs tweaking ...

I only pledged $60, because I'm poor. I'm sorry, Yu!

Who said it doesn't work? Studying the old assets and remaking new assets to fit with the new resolutions and capability that PS4 can do and once a 3d engine is complete we can pretty much or at least I can expect the game to start in Shenmue 1, go into 2 (albeit as new director's cut ) and then go into Shenmue 3 at which point no reviewer would be able to whine...and the series can become episodic releases (in physical media with engine revisions and upgrades) for sequels.

I just want the story to continue and to soak myself in the atmosphere again.

The old games weren't afraid to go with distinctly unusual - and sometimes uneven - pacing. And for people like me that really hit a chord.

You got to examine Ryo's life and relationships in a distinctly none-stat based and none-shoot-bang way. Then you build on the character and the journey that you know and the pace accelerates in the second game. Really, no other game uses the mundane and the grounded as a base for the fantastical and life-and-death in this way. Most games don't do it at all.

This is the reason that after 15 years there are so many fans who will throw cash at a game disregarded by many at the time as niche and boring. We still have feels for our bro, Ryo.

Again...dissapointed that there was no acknowledgement that Ryu Go Gotoku aka Yakuza ever existed...

On what budget? No one knows what Sony is kicking in. Less than 10 million Dreamcasts were even built. This game will sell low volume.

The game will definitely sell in Japan, I'm more worried how the western gamers will receive it...back when it first released it wasn't a sales sensation because of gamer and store practices.

When Shenmue 2 was released it was the best game ever (after NiGHTS maybe...). However, I am a bit worried how Suzuki will manage without the old AM2 team....

In theory it would do great for Suzuki and AM2 to get back in the game after all they used to make a lot of Arcade games for those sit down and experience type games...they and we have a lot to gain if they come back.

*looks at Knack* Yep not worried

Knack was a launch game...not worried...if Knack was made as a 2015 game it wouldn't even look similar.

I want to play lots of mini-games for fighting scrolls.

I want to learn fighting moves from random people, like hotdog salesmen and harbour bums.

I want to be able to practice a lot in atmospheric but vacant spaces to become bad ass.

I want to have another 70 man battle. What the hell, make it a 71 man battle.

I want to be able to do lots of seemingly mundane stuff to help random motherfuckers.

You know, stuff that most gamers don't want to do.

Well...I mentioned Ryu Go Gotoku aka Yakuza. ..oh well...

The game is Shenmue 3, Yu Suzuki has explicitly said as much. It's not a remaster of 1 and 2.

Yu Suzuki is getting some of his old team back together but Sega aren't involved in development.

Also, Yakuza isn't Shenmue. Ryo isn't a gangster, and mostly does decidedly none gangster stuff.

In return for a spot on stage at E3 (the biggest, most exposed place to launch a game kickstarter) and probably technical and publishing assistance with the PS4 version, he probably had to give something in return.

A period of console exclusivity might be on the cards...

He should add Mac and Linux, that would probably bring in some extra cash.
Thats if he can not add Xbox due to agreement with Sony

Putting it on xbox wouldn't fit his m.o. He's only doing 2 versions now as he's ending the series. I'm sure if there was another one in his mind 3 would be ps4 only then 4 would be pc only.

Before I start replying I just wanna say how disappointed I am reading all these comments...no one has yet to mention how SEGA used Shenmue elements to make Ryu Go Gotoku aka Yakuza series which are two games on PS2 and five games on PS3 where apparently in Japan the game has a following and the localized for North America didn't sell so well.

And nobody mentioned that the same camera programmers worked on Panzer Saga and Shenmue 1!!! The HORRORS!

Will you look at that? It only took them 12 years.
Too bad that Duke Nukem Forever still holds all the records in getting late.

Panzer Dragoon Saga II kickstarter next!

Team Andromeda were incredible. Saga was one of the most advanced 3D RPGs of its time with a camera that had to work in complex 3D environments, it seems logical that they'd build on that experience with what was for it's time by far the most complex 3D game of all time.

Shenmue 1 had more advanced transitions between action and cutscenes than 2. I guess it was just too time consuming for a huge game for a dying platform.

The GDC from last year really gives you an idea for how many new things they were trying at once, with brand new tools that they were also having to build.

10,000 items in the excel based bug tracker, with 300 staff, paper reports and no version control. Amazing they pulled it off!

Back