Shenmue 3

cthellis42 said:
Evil_Cloud said:
Yes, and only in China & Korea at the moment. Japan will follow soon, and depending on the succes of the title, it will/will not be released in the West.
Seems awfully weird for Sega to deliver there before Japan. I could see "right alongside" just fine, but...

I guess it may be driven more by JC Entertainment, which is Korean-based, and that localization effors and extra programming for other regions will take a while?

South-Korea is one hell of a MMORPG market, since the genre is extremely popular over there and everybody uses broadband. That same market is also booming in China, which has a rather huge population. In Japan, MMORPG's are still not quite that big (growing significantly each year, however), and PC gaming still isn't as big there as in the West.

This explains why China and Korea get Shenmue Online first, while Japan will have to wait for a short timespan. Korea and China are far more potentially profitable than Japan concerning MMORPG's, at the moment.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200508/141_p1.asp

s we touched on earlier, a final platform, or platforms, for Shenmue 3 are yet to be finalised. Indeed, we weren't able to clarify whether the exclusivity discussions with the firstparties have actually started yet. But from a purely speculative point of view, it seems most likely to us that Xbox 360 will be the initial host for the future of Shenmue; Microsoft has been absolutely determined to sign up exclusive Japanese-developed content for its new console, yet Sega signings are largely conspicuous by absence.

Its intersting . I would def pick it up since i loved the first two

Interesting. I actually never got into Shenmue.

I bought the original on Dreamcast, and waited for it to "get good". I ended up being fairly frustrated with the "There is No One Home" message going from door to door in town. When I eventually had to wait hours for someone to arrive home to continue the story - still on the first disc - I turned off. I'd appreciate it if someone divulged.. does the game get better, or if I was turned off at that stage, should I keep going because it gets great?

I've also seen the Xbox sequel for cheap - $AU35 (<$US20). Given the "epicness" of this game, it would be good to see a Sega baby grow up.

Shenmue isn't for everyone. With that being said, my 8-year old stepson became obsessed with Shenmue 2 a little while back and has completed it 5 times now. I would say that Shenmue is worth the experience, but it's really a mixed bag. There are some moments of pure brilliance and also some moments of total boredom. Almost like the real-life it tried to simulate. :)

I hope it gets released at least for Xbox 360 as it could make good use of the hard drive for certain things. Speeding up load times would be really nice.

PARANOiA:
bought the original on Dreamcast, and waited for it to "get good". I ended up being fairly frustrated with the "There is No One Home" message going from door to door in town. When I eventually had to wait hours for someone to arrive home to continue the story - still on the first disc - I turned off. I'd appreciate it if someone divulged.. does the game get better, or if I was turned off at that stage, should I keep going because it gets great?
Progression never actually necessitates waiting for someone to arrive home or wandering door to door. The game gives the freedom to do things like that within the story which may have confused some people into trying, but the next action for advancement can almost always be taken immediately. In the few instances when progression needs to be triggered by a time sensitive appointment, the game provides plenty of related background content to explore in the meanwhile (Shenmue II actually adds the option to fast forward time and skip directly to the appointment in those instances.)

A new Shenmue game would rock very hard, but somehow I doubt we'll see one. If it is true and it will be an exclusive, I'd bet that it's for MS. Sony doesn't really need it (whereas MS desperately does) and Nintendo doesn't buy exclusives (IIRC). Maybe we'll hear more at TGS.

I haven't heard anything about this game in forever. I'm getting an itch for some Shenmue action though.

Any new news on this?

I haven't heard anything about this game in forever. I'm getting an itch for some Shenmue action though.

Any new news on this?

Last I heard in an interview with Simon Jeffery, not gonna happen. I don't think Yu Suzuki is even at Sega anymore.

This is sad. The story is left unfinished. And a few years ago Sega showed a teaser of Shenmue Online or something but it never materialized.

Where is Yu Suzuki now if he isnt with Sega? We arent hearing anything about him any more

Last I heard in an interview with Simon Jeffery, not gonna happen. I don't think Yu Suzuki is even at Sega anymore.

Seems like Simon Jeffery has corrected his statement:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19807

"I can safely say that Yu Suzuki is in fact still a Sega employee," said Jeffrey in a corrective statement made to Gamasutra today, adding that Suzuki "...is a Creative Officer of Sega Corp."

Personally (imho) this could be due to his age and number of years at Sega or it could be due to Shenmue and now Virtua Fighter 5 not selling as well as was hoped in Japan as either a PS3 or XBox 360 port.

*Note that Virtua Fighter 4 and Evolution were shipped years into the PS2's life cycle and most likely posted huge profits for Sega in Japan mostly.

I was and still am a big Yu Suzuki fan since the early Saturn dayz, I really got into flat shaded VF1 with flaws and all after renting a Saturn in 1995 from Blockbuster and went on to get the Saturn during the DaytonaUSA+VF2+Virtua Cop combo in 96, then got Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix pretty much all on release and more.

Its too bad that in my opinion Sega's games got very little coverage and that the consoles did not do that well thanks to the unstable nature at Sega's console division, reguardless to the OP there is no chance in hell that we are ever going to get Shenmue III and personally as a fan I believe it does not make sense to make such a game.

The main reason why I believe it does not make sense to make Shenmue III is because its a "sequel game" so it is implied that you should have played the previous games.

Basically Shenmue 1 and 2 would have to be remade, reprogrammed and so on for the console it would be running on. Also there would have to be an interest in the console platform before doing so and reguardless of what anyone may say I don't think the game would do that well on XBox 360 because the old XBox 1 port of S2 did poorly.

Another thing is that the game is very much a single player type experience and there is this current trend to demand that shipping current gen games have online MP features by game reviewers/article writters and it is my opinion that, that is the reason why a title like White Knight Chronicles ended up with a online mode even though it was supposed to be a SP RPG.

I do hope that mkillio does go over and check the Yakuza (Ryu Ga Gotoku) thread and look at the 20 minute video and the RGG Kenzan videos so that you can see that as for the Playstation 3, your dreams of what a current gen Shenmue would be are exceeded.

currently the Ryu Ga Gotoku series is highly acclaimed in Japan and it is supposed to have a good steady following from the PS2 (1 and 2) to the PS3 (Kenzan) so part 3 is expected to not only sell lots of copies but help sell more PS3s in Japan.

Also, if you have a PS2, and you want to increase the chances of Yakuza 3 coming out in the West, buy Yakuza 2. Graphics aren't great, but the game is pretty fun so far. Sorry for the OT.

Seems like Simon Jeffery has corrected his statement:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19807

Personally (imho) this could be due to his age and number of years at Sega or it could be due to Shenmue and now Virtua Fighter 5 not selling as well as was hoped in Japan as either a PS3 or XBox 360 port.

*Note that Virtua Fighter 4 and Evolution were shipped years into the PS2's life cycle and most likely posted huge profits for Sega in Japan mostly.

I was and still am a big Yu Suzuki fan since the early Saturn dayz, I really got into flat shaded VF1 with flaws and all after renting a Saturn in 1995 from Blockbuster and went on to get the Saturn during the DaytonaUSA+VF2+Virtua Cop combo in 96, then got Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix pretty much all on release and more.

Its too bad that in my opinion Sega's games got very little coverage and that the consoles did not do that well thanks to the unstable nature at Sega's console division, reguardless to the OP there is no chance in hell that we are ever going to get Shenmue III and personally as a fan I believe it does not make sense to make such a game.

The main reason why I believe it does not make sense to make Shenmue III is because its a "sequel game" so it is implied that you should have played the previous games.

Basically Shenmue 1 and 2 would have to be remade, reprogrammed and so on for the console it would be running on. Also there would have to be an interest in the console platform before doing so and reguardless of what anyone may say I don't think the game would do that well on XBox 360 because the old XBox 1 port of S2 did poorly.

Another thing is that the game is very much a single player type experience and there is this current trend to demand that shipping current gen games have online MP features by game reviewers/article writters and it is my opinion that, that is the reason why a title like White Knight Chronicles ended up with a online mode even though it was supposed to be a SP RPG.

I do hope that mkillio does go over and check the Yakuza (Ryu Ga Gotoku) thread and look at the 20 minute video and the RGG Kenzan videos so that you can see that as for the Playstation 3, your dreams of what a current gen Shenmue would be are exceeded.

currently the Ryu Ga Gotoku series is highly acclaimed in Japan and it is supposed to have a good steady following from the PS2 (1 and 2) to the PS3 (Kenzan) so part 3 is expected to not only sell lots of copies but help sell more PS3s in Japan.
There will be a shenmue 3. It may not be this generation, but it will eventually be made.

Back