Shadow of the Tomb Raider [XO, PS4, PC]

Girl should really invest in a scuba regulator.
This wasn't really a big deal in the old, cartoony tomb raider games. But when you're shooting for something that tries to pass itself of as somewhat realistic, having all these easily avoidable near death experiences pile up seems a little silly.
This is a very minor nitpick mind you. I'm actually glad underwater action is making a return. I always considered it to be a strong pillar of the TR experience.

Last edited:
New gameplay video:

Maybe this Tomb Raider is a bit more... tomb-raiderish than previous games?
This actually feels more like a TR game indeed, shame the graphics are not up to standard, the lighting and shading look almost Uncharted 3 era aka the era of plastic :). The sooner we ditch a 1.3tf baseline the better I say, need to see a true next gen TR game on a 12tf machine asap.

Girl should really invest in a scuba regulator.
This wasn't really a big deal in the old, cartoony tomb raider games. But when you're shooting for something that tries to pass itself of as somewhat realistic, having all these easily avoidable near death experiences pile up seems a little silly.
This is a very minor nitpick mind you. I'm actually glad underwater action is making a return. I always considered it to be a strong pillar of the TR experience.
You mean people can actually backflip off 10 metre high branches while shooting arrows at enemies on the ground? At least it's not as bad the Dead Rising series in terms of presenting a pseudo-realistic worldscape. The zombies in DR4 now drop gold coins when killed.

But when you're shooting for something that tries to pass itself of as somewhat realistic, having all these easily avoidable near death experiences pile up seems a little silly.
I agree. This was one of the most annoying things to me in the reboot game (even though I loved it), as an old Tomb Raider fan. I mean, I don't understand what criteria they follow to pick where they want to obviously go for the unrealistic approach in a game that boasts a higher realism than the previous games.

You mean people can actually backflip off 10 metre high branches while shooting arrows at enemies on the ground? At least it's not as bad the Dead Rising series in terms of presenting a pseudo-realistic worldscape. The zombies in DR4 now drop gold coins when killed.

I don't think the can do a backflip from a tree branch and a 10 meter drop is actually pretty lethal iirc. That said, she can pull off similar things without much of a problem. On the other hand she's almost always on the verge of drowning during the diving sections, so why not bring some diving gear? She's not exactly cash-starved, is she.

Lara is from aristocratic family so she has no need to be putting herself in any danger period. She is a thrill seeker though, so it's not that surprising she'd eschew any safety gear.

I don't think the can do a backflip from a tree branch and a 10 meter drop is actually pretty lethal iirc. That said, she can pull off similar things without much of a problem. On the other hand she's almost always on the verge of drowning during the diving sections, so why not bring some diving gear? She's not exactly cash-starved, is she.
Diving gear are not exactly easy to carry around

Lol :

Anyway, Metacritic is a good indicator but ultimately, you have to try the game yourself. Obviously, if the score is very low the probability is higher that you won't like the game too, but you could very prefer a game rated 75 on Metacritic than an one rated 95.

Metacritic is not everything. I'm saying that because some people only give value to game rated at 90 and more.

Last edited:
Lol :

Anyway, Metacritic is a good indicator but ultimately, you have to try the game yourself. Obviously, if the score is very low the probability is higher that you won't like the game too, but you could very prefer a game rated 75 on Metacritic than an one rated 95.

Metacritic is not everything. I'm saying that because some people only give value to game rated at 90 and more.

Didnt reach the high scores I was expecting. It repeats the same mistakes of the previous 2 games but at least they expanded the exploration.

Lacks the soul of a Tomb Raider game.

Launch Trailer

If you pause at @0:53, this is what annoys me the most about the current Tomb Raider (and games in general), is the overuse of specular mapping, rather than a more diffused look. Never in my life have I ever witnessed someone wearing normal cotton clothing (i.e., shirt, scarf, pants, etc.) with that amount of sheen or gloss. It looks like someone sprayed a whole bottle of clothing-starch on the material, and applied heavy heat beyond the typical iron. But it doesn't end there, its the overall environment esthetics like the rainforest areas and caves that have that awful plastic-gloss. You can create the illusion of wet surfaces and materials within wet environments, without the need for overly obvious effects that give them that glossy plastic look. And yes, not every character needs to look like they came from a perfect spray-tan as well.

Last edited:
If you pause at @0:53, this is what annoys me the most about the current Tomb Raider (and games in general), is the overuse of specular mapping, rather than a more diffused look. Never in my life have I ever witnessed someone wearing normal cotton clothing (i.e., shirt, scarf, pants, etc.) with that amount of sheen or gloss. It looks like someone sprayed a whole bottle of clothing-starch on the material, and applied heavy heat beyond the typical iron. But it doesn't end there, its the overall environment esthetics like the rainforest areas and caves that have that awful plastic-gloss. You can create the illusion of wet surfaces and materials within wet environments, without the need for overly obvious effects that give them that glossy plastic look. And yes, not every character needs to look like they came from a perfect spray-tan as well.

Looks like wet clothes to me. I walk in the rain a lot and this looks perfectly normal to me. Now, if he's supposed to be dry, that's an entirely different story. :) But that's not the case as it's raining (you can see the raindrops) in that scene.

Regards,
SB

Looks like wet clothes to me. I walk in the rain a lot and this looks perfectly normal to me. Now, if he's supposed to be dry, that's an entirely different story. :) But that's not the case as it's raining (you can see the raindrops) in that scene.

Regards,
SB

Sorry, still looks terrible. If he was drenched with rain, the clothing should be matted to his body, not glossy like a car wash shine. It looks cheap and obvious, IMHO.

And to think that PBR was supposed to save the day... ¬_¬

On a curious note, I really liked how a proper wetness was achieved in Tomb Raider: Underworld. Of course, the graphics are not on par with current generation graphics, but I was really impressed in the rainy jungle level.

I concur with @Shortbread regarding the incorrect representation of wetness, specially on vegetation. It can also look very plasticky to me. In this case, the shirt doesn't look like wet cloth at all, to me. Usually, when cloth gets wet it gets darker and only shinier in some narrow angles in the wrinkles if it's very very wet (with a film of water on top, not absorbed in the cloth).

Back