Shadow of the Tomb Raider [XO, PS4, PC]

but they sure aren't Rise of The Tomb Raider quality.

Certainly not :p

Shadow indirectly lit:
stsf8y.png

Rise indirectly lit:
rfdcdh.png

Last edited:
Certainly not :p

Shadow indirectly lit:
stsf8y.png

Rise indirectly lit:
rfdcdh.png
I think Shortbread is referring to the polygon count and texture res of the model in which Rise definitely has Shadow beat, shading looks better in Shadow no doubt but still not super impressive.

This is a theme of modern video games that I actually like - when it's done right. I won't be playing Shadow for some months yet but I'm a fan of games that cater to different play styles (full on combat, more sneaky etc) because I can chose how I want to play it (and/or replay it). It's surely better for sales as well as you're not pigeonholing a game in a specific genre to appeal to a specific crowd. I think it's part of the reason why RPGs like Elder Scrolls and Fallout sell so well.

I'm much more likely going to pickup a third-person shooter, or any RPG, if I can play sneaky-stealthy because basically I like to be Batman is every game ;) It's something I never get bored of and I was actually disappointed that stealth was not a viable option for many encounters (particularly bases) in Spider-Man given his skillset is stealth orientated.

Yeah. If it's done right. Thing is, most games don't really do it right. Doesn't matter whether you play TR, or Spider-man, or Batman, or what have you, these games aren't really designed for drastically different approaches. You cannot play Arkham Knight purely as a brawler, or a detective, or a ninja. As for Shadow: Sure, if you like the bow, you can plonk some points into its respective skill tree and give yourself a bit of an edge, but it's not really changing the game in a dramatic way. This is especially true because 90% of your time is spent traversing the environment. There's barely any combat in it to begin with.
I like how some of the quality of life skills in Shadow are the rewards for completing challenge tombs. That's the way to do it in a game in which everyone will eventually end up with the same character anyways. Way more intersting than picking up "scrap".

Last edited:
So I just beat this game, seriously a borefest of the most extreme. Terrible acting, boring, useless character development, ludicrous story telling with an ending more predictable than a grandma. The team just did not take any risks, if only they killed off
Jonah after he got captured
it would give the whole thing a bit more depth and thrill. I say it's time to reboot the franchise to a more grounded approach and more mature tone. Also need better Lara voice actress, better writer and for the love of god no more XP hunting.

So I just beat this game, seriously a borefest of the most extreme. Terrible acting, boring, useless character development, ludicrous story telling with an ending more predictable than a grandma. The team just did not take any risks, if only they killed off
it would give the whole thing a bit more depth and thrill. I say it's time to reboot the franchise to a more grounded approach and more mature tone. Also need better Lara voice actress, better writer and for the love of god no more XP hunting.

I find that my wife and sister-in-law really love Shadow's and the prior one as well. Me personally, I'm too invested into Spider-Man and God of War at the moment. Shadow's is fine... just not keeping me interested at the moment.

I've not played any of these - an hour or two of the first, but nothing of the story - so I can't really form a strong opinion on the narrative.

That said, when the first game came out, I understood it to be Lara Croft's origin story. Fair enough. Then, a few weeks ago, I watched some feature on YouTube, in which the presenters stated this entire trilogy is her origin story.

Is that a valid interpretation? Because it sounds like a God-awful idea to spend 10 years telling the story of how a character became who they are. Especially when you consider that, when Lara Croft appeared in the first Tomb Raider game on the PS1, she appeared fully-formed as a badass that could kill a T-Rex with handguns.

I dunno, I'm just curious. Uncharted 3's the weakest of that series for me, and that's because they tried to get serious, and did so by giving us a bloated back story, when the pulpy fun of the first two games is all that was really needed.

Its the problem with retconning an existing well known property. Rich confident tomb looter looking for thrills to Innocent archaeologist thrust into danger who just happens to be very efficient at mass murder for reasons. Its an absurd narrative and I find myself detached from her plight and I tune out anything suggesting that the character I am playing is not some mass murderer looking for treasure. So luckily the gameplay in 2013 and 2016 was solid enough that I could bear the absolute eye-rolling plot and character dialog. I haven't played Shadow but I assume its more of the same weak narrative.

If I'm not mistaken, the latest Windows update is out, so we get DXR.

In a matter of a few days CD should launch the patch for RT shadows. :D

Did you get an RTX card?
hmm.. do we need an RTX card to turn on DXR?

That's the real question. Put DXR to the test and force compute shaders to perform the function if the hardware doesn't exist.

Shortbread and his 2x 1080TI go go go

That's the real question. Put DXR to the test and force compute shaders to perform the function if the hardware doesn't exist.

Nice question!

According to Nvidia’s surely very accurate and not at all misleading estimates, you can but it would run 10 times more slowly. So that’s a nice slideshow of a very pretty Lara with very pretty bouncing... light.

EDIT: oh, it’s only raytraced shadows. No bouncing ‘light’ for you then!

Back