Senjo No Valkyria (Valkyrie of the Battlefield) : Best Cell shading ever?

Then your play style is similar to mine except for the Lancer deployment. I don't use Lancers except for very specific targets (
like the towers in the last battle and Marmota's heat dispensers
).:

I Took Maximillian down in two turns, not on the first try though :), I had to alter my original strategy, because hitting those mid level armored towers proved to be too much of a task for lancers and tanks even from relatively short distance. I was first afraid of Maximillian firing, so I decided to use the Edelwais, but couldn't hit anything. Then on turn one, I used the sniper to took down the far away tower and lancers to take down the two close ones, then I shot two mortars at Maximillian which caused the cutscene and him going to the back end of the map. Then I drove Edelweiss back to the camp in order to get full mortars for the next round and then I skipped turn.

On the second turn I again used the sniper for the one in the back, One tower was the armored one in the middle and one far on the right, I used Lancers from one feet away to take those out using three CP's and fixed my tank with an engineer, then I skipped and made sure I had full action points in the next turn and then it was quite easy to take him down. I actually did all the damage to Maximillian with Edelweiss, apart from the last kill shot that was given by a Trooper, since I had only one CP left, and for some reason I thought only tank could deal significant damage to him, but the trooper on level 17 also dropped the health bar quite nicely!

I also treat Shamrock as a decoy/bullet sink only, but I have seen someone prefers Shamrock exclusively since it's expendable compared to Edelweiss:

Imo Shamrock is way too weak and inaccurate to make using it worthwhile, sure it has a little better range, but it doesn't make for the other suckiness. Edelweiss with an engineer is pretty good combo and you can rush with it relatively risk free. I think the enemy was incabable of taking Edelweiss down in one turn, except if they hit the radiator, so you could charge with it, take punishment, fix it and unleash hell! :)

Towards the end, I trust my snipers the most, followed by shock troopers and then Alicia. It seems that people in GAF prefer scouts, especially a level up'ed Alicia (using special orders). I didn't find out about the scout's grenade launcher until the last chapter :LOL:

I played all the skirmishes and many of them several times on my first playthrough, so I think my classes were something like: 18,17,15,12,14 (scout, trooper, lancer, engineer, sniper) and troopers and lancers were extremely durable and very hard to take down, sometimes I used them as decoys to protect the weaker units and sometimes my trooper could easily take down two enemy troopers in one enemy turn, with cover and return fire (or whatever those are called :)). Scouts were also good if you could get behind enemies unnoticed, and the rifle grenade was great to fire from behind the corner or over a obstacle while you were safe in a safe place. It was extremly usefull against crouching enemies behind sandbags. It would destroy the sandbags and make them stand and thus significantly lowering their defences, and then they were easy to take down. In fact I think the hardest battle by far in the game for me was the one in chapter 11.

It was very hard to occupy the last camp without the rifle grenade as at that point my scout was one level shy of being elite and the tanks were neutralised from reaching the final camp. The enemy defences were extremely strong at the end and getting reinforces on every turn, I suffered heavy losses there including my sweetheart Jane Turner... :cry: With rifle grenade it would have been easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Took Maximillian down in two turns, not on the first try though :), I had to alter my original strategy, because hitting those mid level armored towers proved to be too much of a task for lancers and tanks even from relatively short distance. I was first afraid of Maximillian firing, so I decided to use the Edelwais, but couldn't hit anything. Then on turn one, I used the sniper to took down the far away tower and lancers to take down the two close ones, then I shot two mortars at Maximillian which caused the cutscene and him going to the back end of the map. Then I drove Edelweiss back to the camp in order to get full mortars for the next round and then I skipped turn.

On the second turn I again used the sniper for the one in the back, One tower was the armored one in the middle and one far on the right, I used Lancers from one feet away to take those out using three CP's and fixed my tank with an engineer, then I skipped and made sure I had full action points in the next turn and then it was quite easy to take him down. I actually did all the damage to Maximillian with Edelweiss, apart from the last kill shot that was given by a Trooper, since I had only one CP left, and for some reason I thought only tank could deal significant damage to him, but the trooper on level 17 also dropped the health bar quite nicely!

I used Archgamer's strategy here

Imo Shamrock is way too weak and inaccurate to make using it worthwhile, sure it has a little better range, but it doesn't make for the other suckiness. Edelweiss with an engineer is pretty good combo and you can rush with it relatively risk free. I think the enemy was incabable of taking Edelweiss down in one turn, except if they hit the radiator, so you could charge with it, take punishment, fix it and unleash hell! :)

Yeah, I think they upgraded it instead of Edelweiss.

I played all the skirmishes and many of them several times on my first playthrough, so I think my classes were something like: 18,17,15,12,14 (scout, trooper, lancer, engineer, sniper) and troopers and lancers were extremely durable and very hard to take down, sometimes I used them as decoys to protect the weaker units and sometimes my trooper could easily take down two enemy troopers in one enemy turn, with cover and return fire (or whatever those are called :)). Scouts were also good if you could get behind enemies unnoticed, and the rifle grenade was great to fire from behind the corner or over a obstacle while you were safe in a safe place. It was extremly usefull against crouching enemies behind sandbags. It would destroy the sandbags and make them stand and thus significantly lowering their defences, and then they were easy to take down. In fact I think the hardest battle by far in the game for me was the one in chapter 11.

At the end of the game, mine was 12,12,9,10,11.

It was very hard to occupy the last camp without the rifle grenade as at that point my scout was one level shy of being elite and the tanks were neutralised from reaching the final camp. The enemy defences were extremely strong at the end and getting reinforces on every turn, I suffered heavy losses there including my sweetheart Jane Turner... :cry: With rifle grenade it would have been easy.

11 was indeed hard because of certain character in the last camp. Had to rely on the team's friendship (simultaneous fire) to take all the troopers out.

For me, the most difficult one to tackle was Selvaria's last battle. I find it hard because she could move so far and fast. Then she dodged every single shot even when I tried to flank her. She'd positioned herself such that her back was not exposed. Her machine gun rifle was terrifying.

I lost 2 soldiers (Hector and Herbert) in Chapter 7. There was no way for me to save them because most of the time I had only 1 soldier left at the end of the turn. :)

Shamrock with machine gun is just deadly, there were some missions where carefully placed Shamrock annihilated all the advancing reinforcements

For me, the most difficult one to tackle was Selvaria's last battle. I find it hard because she could move so far and fast. Then she dodged every single shot even when I tried to flank her. She'd positioned herself such that her back was not exposed. Her machine gun rifle was terrifying.

I think you forgot about smoke rounds. Using these this battle came out as pretty easy. ;)

I had both of them pretty much fully upgraded and thought it still wasn't very good for attacking, but like psorcerer said it was pretty good at killing enemies on their turn, I remember atleast on chapter 10
Shamrock placed just in front of a small bridge was pretty lethal against the enemy forces as all the reinforces tried to advance through there.

On that level I took a lancer, a trooper and Alicia to the left route, which was easier than the right route, shot a smoke round close to the upper exit of the stairs, which blocked Selvaria's fire, took the enemy camp up there and lifted Edelweiss up there, then I advanced close to Selvaria and send few troops to the right side flanking that machine gun turret that was causing problems and doing that secured the right side also. Then I brought Shamrock up to the right side and drove it up to Selvaria having her pinned in between Edelwaiss and Shamrock, then I just fired alternately with both tanks and Selvaria would expose her back to the next tank. most of my soldiers were hidden from the enemy during this mission and there were many enemy turns in a row in which they didn't fire a single shot.

I used smoke screen to advance through the stage. But during my fight with Selvaria, the smoke didn't work as well. She was still able to dodge. May be I didn't place my smoke well enough.

In the end, I ordered an "Awake All Potentials". Basically nailed Selvaria with 2 "Undodgeable Shots" consecutively.

I am surprised you upgraded Shamrock. I simply left it in its original state and ditched it at the beginning of a level usually (to save command points).

I am surprised you upgraded Shamrock. I simply left it in its original state and ditch in at the beginning of a level usually (to save command points).

Well I had played quite a many skirmish battles, so I already had all the weapons, suits and Edelweiss maxed out to the level that was possible at any given time and still had extra points, so might just as well put them into
the Shamrock

edit: the 7th skirmish battle at
Burhl
was a relatively easy and fast way to gain money and experience, as you could easily clear it in two turns, with Alicia, Edellweiss and few command points spent to a sniper to take out the enemy snipers, who were quite exposed.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Valkyria DLCs incoming. [size=-2]Why so &%*$(&$%* late ? That's a lot of months to wait[/size]

You might have read that the Japanese folks got an extra mission and an Extra Hard skirmish mode as downloadable content.

It’s my sincere and distinct pleasure to let you know that we’re bringing those two content packs over to the US and European shores early next year. We did this to support all the fans of the game and make sure that everyone can get all the enjoyment out of the game. We hope you enjoy it!

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...chronicles-shipping-out-today-dlc-on-the-way/

2 Valkyria DLCs incoming. [SIZE=-2]Why so &%*$(&$%* late ? That's a lot of months to wait[/SIZE]
Are you sure that's not next financial year? It seems pretty crazy to advertise DLC 10+ months in advance for what amounts to regionalisation.

Ah, I see Eurogamer list as Spring...
The three DLC packs, all due this spring, consist of a Hard EX Mode and two missions: Edy's mission 'Enter the Edy Detachment', and Selvaria's mission 'Behind Her Blue Flame'.

:LOL: Yes, it's several weeks away.

[size=-2]Damn marketing people for not using calendar year when talking to consumers or consumer websites.[/size]

Interesting Valkyria Chronicles review, focusing on the beautiful sound track: http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=1122

A lot of people have been talking about Valkyria Chronicles, a visually-pleasing strategy title that SEGA is releasing in North America this month. Despite the game’s stunning visuals and engaging gameplay, the main draw for me was a soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto, performed in part by the Eminence Symphony Orchestra.

Rather than hit you with a traditional review of the game’s score, we thought it would be a lot of fun to pick some of our favorite tracks and have Sakimoto himself pick some of his own favorites, then have him provide something similar to liner notes to give some insight into a few of the many amazing pieces featured on the game’s soundtrack. It’s always a lot of fun to get a dialogue going between composers and their fans, so we hope you enjoy this approach....

Sakimoto on “Main Theme”
To tell you the truth, I didn’t realize it had a “Western” sound until Western people told me. When I started this project, I wrote the melody of this piece first and then made 3 different types of arranges for it. They then selected this and it became the main theme. I think the reason this arrangement was chosen as the Main Theme was because it best suited the games theme on war...

EDIT: Wow, I didn't know they have sites on anime music @_@
http://blog.animeinstrumentality.ne...and-guin-saga-a-look-at-the-composers-within/

You can find another review and samples of the Valkyria Chronicles music in the above link.

Mr. Bender...

Continuing from our brief chat room exchange...

Here's the GAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339919&highlight=Valkyria

I read through the first few pages and bought the game based on their feedback. The thread is not as bad as the usual LOL, pixel counting, or platform war GAF drivels.

As for your question on whether the game is "corny" like some second rate anime. The answer is no. Welkins may be somewhat naive and sometimes cringy, I find the story weighty and entertaining at the same time.

I wouldn't say the game looked gorgeous. The models and texturing were mediocre. I'm not sure how you're making the comparison as one is 3D and the other anime. In terms of art design I don't think the anime has the sketchy filter and the comic book onomatopoeia. And some of the character designs look different in the anime especially Alicia I prefer her look in the game.
I don't remember anime cutscenes in the game.

What do you mean by anime cutscenes ?

I thought Valkyria is beautiful, and better looking in the game than the anime. The "sketchy" filter is there but more subtle in the final game. The music is nice too.

I wouldn't say the game looked gorgeous. The models and texturing were mediocre. I'm not sure how you're making the comparison as one is 3D and the other anime. In terms of art design I don't think the anime has the sketchy filter and the comic book onomatopoeia. And some of the character designs look different in the anime especially Alicia I prefer her look in the game.
I don't remember anime cutscenes in the game.

I'm mostly talking about the poor animation, and I still think the game looks gorgeous (the models definitely don't look mediocre to me). I don't really care how many polygons the engine pushes and how high texture resolutions are as the long as the results look good. In the end, VC easily overcomes it's technical shortcomings (whatever those may be) because the art direction is so beautiful.

A little off-topic, but did anyone here play Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm? I think it's easily the best looking cel-shaded game on the market right now. It just looks absolutely spectacular in motion.

A little off-topic, but did anyone here play Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm? I think it's easily the best looking cel-shaded game on the market right now. It just looks absolutely spectacular in motion.

Me ! But it's quite time consuming to grind through the village to collect stuff. I'm still very early in the game, but have not found enough energy to go back yet. Yes, the graphics are nice there too (and looks authentic).

I prefer a range of different looks/styles in games. Valkyria is a breathe of fresh air for me. ^_^

Back