Senjo No Valkyria (Valkyrie of the Battlefield) : Best Cell shading ever?

You see, you keep putting in this whole thing. It's okay to like something as a whole but still point out criticisms. You don't have to gloss over things just because you liked something as a whole.

Huh ? I didn't notice the texture quality issue at all. That's why I didn't bring it up. :LOL:
Like I said, you may be able to see it, but not everyone will.

I already took that into account which is why I said by this gen's standards. I am not talking about looking back at this game ten years from now I'm talking about looking at this game by today's standards.

...by your standards.

To tell you the truth I was just trying to throw you people a bone. I still think the landscapes could've used more polys to better flesh them out.

See what I mean ?

I realize that. I don't think anyone will say all those awfully dark Unreal Engine 3 games have gorgeous art design. But when a game does have good art design you do need a good level of technical excellence in order to better deliver the art design to the user.Ugh. I do like the art style. I'm just arguing that the art design could've come off looking much better had it had a higher level of technical excellence.

It's good enough for me! and for those who raved about it. Sigfried have stated he doesn't care about texture quality in this game upfront. I haven't even realized the texture issue. Even after you brought it up to attention, I still think it's a non-issue... for what they are doing. :)

They are not going after a Heavy Rain look.

If you read those threads, most of the posters, including weeaboos and pikachus, talk about the gameplay (e.g., How to clear $&#*(&$#* level 7 ? Which characters are better to play ? What level do I need to grind my team to ? etc.).

Some will talk about the visuals and the music.

I have seen Okami. Looks great ! but I am not sure if it plays as well.

To tell you the truth I was only arguing for the sake of arguing. I just got so fed up with seeing all the weeaboos worship this game on several forums. It was a bit of a tantrum feel free to delete my posts in this thread.

Although I gotta disagree on Okami. The paper effect and inks were 'gorgeous' and do a better of job of emulating what it was going for. Although the Wii version has degraded effects so I'd avoid that version.

I have no idea what a weeaboo is, but most players worship the game for a good reason. Looks isn't the only thing VC's got going for it. They'd probably like to play a sequel as well, and a bit of propaganda to hopefully boost sales isn't going to hurt anyone. I mean Sega obviously doesn't care, so fan-based word of mouth will have to do.

Btw, Jann Walker is awesome (walking cliche, I know, but I still love the guy)

Watched it. The anime is a far cry from the game's quality in every aspect. The art, music, story and character design do not carry the game's weight at all. Please don't judge the game by this anime.

http://www.ps3center.net/news/2692/sega-wants-to-make-a-sequel-to-valkyria-chronicles/

Valkyria Chronicles producer Nonaka Ryutaro was recently interview by the Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu Weekly. He said he was ecstatic that Valkyria was embraced by the Japanese public in the way it was. Nonaka was excited about the anime's debut, explaining that the anime served as another means to further develop the IP.

The big news is that Nonaka, in light of the recent popularity, told the magazine that he really wanted to do a sequel to the game, and he was adamant about not leaving the game at just one title. While it's far from a confirmation, that does bode well for the possibility of a sequel.

Btw, 3 Valkyria Chronicles DLCs coming to US next Thursday.

Huh ? Pay attention. The character designs are noticeably different. Game is more mature. The anime drawing is of lesser grade. The special shading effect is lesser too. The overall presentation of the game is tighter... not just "the same" and "some of the character designs have been changed".

Game:
ps3_alicia.jpg

Anime:
2cwoi1s.jpg

The music score may be the same, but the delivery is not the same :) (Game cutscenes are LPCM 5.1)

While the story is based on the game, it's more draggy. They need to pad the story to fill all the episodes right ?

Huh ? Pay attention. The character designs are noticeably different. Game is more mature. The anime drawing is of lesser grade. The special shading effect is lesser too. The overall presentation of the game is tighter... not just "the same" and "some of the character designs have been changed".

Game:
ps3_alicia.jpg

Anime:
2cwoi1s.jpg

The music score may be the same, but the delivery is not the same :) (Game cutscenes are LPCM 5.1)

While the story is based on the game, it's more draggy. They need to pad the story to fill all the episodes right ?

Amazingly the in game graphics cutscenes have alot more definition and detail than the anime art style, other than the usual new Anime flair of constantly making character appear younger like as if older people are an endangered species (not so in older anime :p )

Dr Evil said:
Hmm Alicia's upper chest area seems more defined in the anime.

:LOL: That's what you hope ! It's inconsistent :)

30axuko.jpg

Hahaha OH MY GAWD THERE ARE SLIGHT VARIANCES BURN THE ANIME AT THE STAEK!!!Some are closer to the game than others.

Heh, like I said, it's not only the character design. The execution is lacking. You may not be able to see it but I can. It's not just one-two quick scenes above too. Sometimes the artists got the perspective wrong, resulting in the characters looking weird or awkward for the entire scene.

Your comment "some are closer to the game than others" just confirms that the designs are indeed different and in my view, lower quality.

If you're talking about the cheesey jew and band of brothers drama don't worry the anime is getting there.

I'm talking about the overall presentation. You can't see the 2 kids in the anime shot above ? :oops:
Storywise, I don't think anyone has seen the rest of the anime yet. So it's really not fair to comment beyond what's in episode 1.

This is only the first episode. What? Compared to the 3D videogame? Or against other anime?

Both. See above. The anime is based off the game afterall.

I don't think you can expect the exact same sketch shading but it still looks good. Did you watch it through that stream? Maybe you should download an HD encode.

I watched it via the above link. I will double check on the sketch + water color effect but I doubt the HD encode will look much different based on screen shots. The problem is not only texture-based or resolution. :)

The videogame wasn't perfect in presentation. There were many cutscenes where you were staring at a background with characters popping up when their dialogue came.

I never said the game is perfect. I simply said the game has higher quality. And the anime has some presentation problems.

So then wait for the Blu-ray which is sure to have a lossless track. Did you even have a $3k+ speaker system to take advantage of the LPCM or are you just spec whoring here.

Could you confirm the anime is 5.1 ? :)

I am commenting on what I experienced. If another version has LPCM and better sound production, then obviously, my assessment will change.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the pacing of the anime but even if there is that was a problem with the videogame too where you had to sit through several cutscenes before you got to gameplay.

The "several cutscenes" gave you the background to the battles. I don't see them as an issue at all. The only problem is they should have give us an auto-play mode so we don't have to press X continuously. The gameplay remains engaging. Overall, the story is still tighter compared to the anime -- which is my point.

The anime is draggy. Conversations between the 2 kid soldiers were mostly unnecessary. I remember Welkin was identified as a good guy in the game pretty early on too. This allows the game to move rather briskly (naturally because it has limited time !).

The anime isn't dramatically different from the game quit holding the videogame as a bible and anything that slightly strays from it as heresy.

Again, that's your opinion. I can speak my mind too.

You seem to think people are holding the game as a bible. I certainly do not. While I am at it, I can still point out flaws in the anime at the same time.

It's good to see Valkyria Chronciles become a franchise when everyone was sure it would be a one-game niche and now good chances for a sequel. I know I've sounded like a hater but that was against the fanatic fandom segment not the IP. I don't think it's the incarnation of perfection but I actually do like the videogame and I usually don't like SRPGs, I do like the art design and the sketch shading(it looks really nice although I'm not doing a double take as to wether the game looks like an actual painting) and I appreciate what the story tries to do even if it comes off as cheesey like most other anime drama.

Who says the game is perfect ?

EDIT:
Yea amazing how much detail you can have when you only have to model something once instead of drawing it several times a second. But hey an advantage the anime does have is better geometry.

And you have identified one reason why the game can have consistently higher quality art than the anime.

As for geometry, it depends. While the potential geometry is high, details may be dropped from the anime to save animators hassle and time. Look at the comparison shots. A casual observer may see more details in the game shot regardless of the poly count or current texture resolution.

Lower quality? How can you quantify art design like that? It's just different. Some look almost like they do in the game others like Alicia have been noticeably changed.
Actually compare the images. One has progressive shading, whereas the other style is typical cartoon binary light/dark. One has a lot of subtle shading detail in the faces, whereas the other defines the faces purely as a flat form with thin slither of shadow for nose and chin, with features penciled in. This level of detail extends even more into the clothing, with one rendering clothes in the simplest of two-shade colour swathes. In one version the leaf detail is very defined but very repetitious (more prominant in other images), whereas the other uses non-outlind sprays of colour. I'll let you work out which image is which. ;)

Independent of image origins, the anime is clearly a simplified form of the art and style from the game. As for maturity, the choice of a younger cast is suggestive of wanting to appeal to a younger audience, so there is a case there though I don't know how valid it is.

And most importantly, all this discussion can be had in a civil and polite fashion without ad hominems. There's absolutely no need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist over an essay on the cross-media artist implemetations and their impact on story as an art-form.

Edit : I'm pleased to see you've made edits without prompting. :)

You're comparing 3D models to tv animation too!
Well yes, because that's what these two sources are! If you're saying we shouldn't expect the TV anime to look like the game, firstly AFAIK the comparison doesn't need to make that distinction from a discussion on pure artwork, and secondly why not use the game engine refined for the anime?! I'm sure if they wanted to, they could have got exactly the game look driving the animated series. I think patsu's point valid, that the anime doesn't look as good as the game. whether it should or not is a different matter ;)

Back