Senjo No Valkyria (Valkyrie of the Battlefield) : Best Cell shading ever?

As it is, I don't see that the right choices can be made prior to entering a mission. It's better to save the game before a mission, have a play through or two to get the necessary intelligence, and then come up with a plan.

Yep, that's pretty much what I do. I also save extensively throughout a mission, to go back to any given point if I find a better way to beat the mission faster (to say go from an C to B, or B to A rank). Hindsight is 20/20, and all. Although, perhaps that just speaks to our poor tactical forecasting skills? :p

That's perhaps the biggest bugbear. It's a great game, very refreshing, but the whole core concept of planning and executing a military offensive isn't particularly intuitive. The choices can't be based on what seems logical, so tactical forecasting fails. I would much prefer it if tactical forecasting was important and rewarded, instead of precognition. I would reward a higher grade for completing a mission without taking casualties, minimal damage, etc. Not for sacrificing a member, buffing another and sprinting the end! :p

Initially, I played the game "blind". Only save it before a mission and then complete it all the way, with zero or at most 2 saves.

Later, because I was out of time, I saved the game often.

The feeling is different. IMHO, it's much more enjoyable to *not* save frequently. Usually I could come up with alternate plans to win the battle, despite medium to heavy losses. Most of the time, I could recover the retired soldiers.

Your mileage will of course vary.

That's perhaps the biggest bugbear. It's a great game, very refreshing, but the whole core concept of planning and executing a military offensive isn't particularly intuitive.

Wait until you see some of the nasty scripting events, when suddenly your situation and troop placement goes from great to sucky as hell in a split second. For example there are missions where capturing an enemy base will trigger massive enemy reenforces and they appear in locations that makes you screwed, now if you happen to capture the base with your last move of the turn, reenforces appear and it's the computers turn, you'll get crushed, raped and all those other nasty things and that's a bit sucky since capturing an enemy base pretty much should be and always feels like a great thing to do as you heal your units there and can transfer members quickly across the field or bring in some benchwarmers.

So it's sometimes better to capture the bases when you still have plenty of action points left. The nasty thing is that the enemy can send reenforces through the base if you don't capture it with your last action.

The biggest problem I have with the game is the fact that you wouldn't stand the slightest chance in most mission if the A.I. didn't behave intentionally moronic. It's more about figuring out A.I. behavior patterns for each mission than it is about sound strategy.

I'm playing Jeanne d'Arc on the PSP right now, and if you do something reckless and stupid in the game it's game over. Beating a mission feels way more rewarding as a result.

VC2 to be at TGS

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/07/24/valkyria_chronicles_tgs/

Tanaka spoke a bit about the game's BLiTZ System. As previously detailed, Valkyria 2 inherits this system from its predecessor, but adds in some major power ups.

Tanaka refers to the BLiTZ system as one of the fundamental systems of the original. "As long as it's Valkyria, we have to properly replicate it," he says about the system.

In making the move to the PSP, there are a number of changes at the control level to the system -- things that had to be implemented because the PSP has a different control layout. However, he feels that players will still get the feeling that they're playing Valkyria.

As for those powered up areas, although pressed by Edie, Tanaka said he couldn't say too much.

He did share one point, however. It's something that Valkyria fans might have noticed in today's screenshot batch...

Playing some more, this game is plain whack! the missions really are cock-eyed. The desert Skirmish (4) is aced by
buffing Wavy and sending him up the left.
10 minutes for 26k XP and 40,000 DCT. The night-time
kidnapping
mission is solved in 2 turns, 4 CPs, by completely ignoring the advice. Just
run a Shocktrooper to wait at the end of the first alley. The armoured car drives down. Buff the Trooper with the extra damage to tanks order and gun the cooling grill.

Everything about the mission design has the player throw intelligent strategy out the window and look instead for the exploits. I'm finding it's better to take on the evil Empire with ~3 soldiers a mission and very little supporting combat tactics. eg. In the
giant tank
mission, to get a good grade it as important to not populate deploy a strong conitingent of forces, because then all your time is spent moving them out of danger. Instead the Snipers continue to be a waste of time, even with improved accuracy and weapons.

It's a good game in its way. Visuals are great, characters are fun, and all that jazz that has been praised before. It just isn't what it appeared to be, especially from the demo. It's not a game of tactical combat but finding where to run past the enemy and hit the objectives ASAP. I guess we're still without a proper tactical combat strategy game, which is a shame as VC could really have been a great one.

Desert Skirmish is Chapter 4 ? Which Chapter are you at now ? And how many turns to complete Chapter 7 ?

The grading for Valkyria is based on speed of achieving objective. So there is a way to speed run the missions (mentioned it before: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1258855&postcount=155). Yes, it's bonked in that sense.

As for snipers, continue to upgrade them. What level is your sniper class now ?

Sniper skills are indeed weird. They are almost a waste at the beginning, but once you have the final weapon upgrade the guys and gals become godly. Every single sniper round will be a 100% guaranteed one hit kill (unless the enemy is in cover of course). You can really thin out enemy lines with them later in the game. I think you can use one of Welkin's commands to make them a lot more useful earlier.

As for the night time mission where you have to take out the vehicle before it escapes: having a bunch of shocktroopers ambush the radiator sounds like a sound strategy to me. Otherwise I have to agree: there is not a whole lot of strategy to the game. I still loved every minute of it, though.

It's hard to explain.

If the player is interested in speed run, then he may want to compare himself against the bests (e.g., Finish the mission in one turn). Doing so will ruin the game though.

If the player is interested in thinning out enemy lines and careful menuveur, then well... there are ways to do that too.

I support any Nazi video complaining about missing English sub/dub for Yakuza 3.

Not making VC2 on PS3 sucks too, since I'd like to see Valkyria 2 on a big screen.

I'm currently Chapter 10. All classes are now Elite. Chapter 7 was a grade B for me in the end, after lots of retries and reloads to get past the insane story events that making intelligent strategy ridiculous!

It's hard to explain.

If the player is interested in speed run, then he may want to compare himself against the bests (e.g., Finish the mission in one turn). Doing so will ruin the game though.

If the player is interested in thinning out enemy lines and careful menuveur, then well... there are ways to do that too.
My problem is that you need XP and DCT to upgrade. The first time I encountered the Cemetery guy, he offered me an order and I didn't have enough XP for it, so it's gone. I don't think it's been offered since. So I don't want to be caught short. The bonus for aceing a level, or certainly a B grade, is substantial. Not hitting that target makes life harder. I'd have been happier if there was no grading system, just a final score. That would put less pressure on players to speed-through and give a sense of more freedom. Although given the CP limit, I think the game could never really work as an alternative to XCom. When you have to leave soldiers behind every turn because they're so damned slow and a CP spent on them could achieve twice as much spent on a Scout, they just don't move. Even moreso when the Lancers accuracy is sooo poor you can waste CP missing tanks.

I'd prefer every soldier moves every turn, a flat score at the end without huge bonuses, only smaller tallies as we've got, and no in-battle 'events'. That'd make VC the perfect game for me.

I'm currently Chapter 10. All classes are now Elite.

Chapter 10... is it the beach landing battle ? If you have Elite snipers, they should be pretty accurate now (as are enemy snipers). I am surprised you are still not happy with their performance. You'll have to wait for the scope to become a dot then.

Chapter 7 was a grade B for me in the end, after lots of retries and reloads to get past the insane story events that making intelligent strategy ridiculous!

Ha ha, you should see me in Chapter 7. I wasted the first few turns trying to figure out what the game wanted. In the final few turns, I only have one wounded soldier left against about 7 of them. Fortunately, he was a Lancer, and could take lot's of damage when crouched. My tank was well tucked away because it's only one rifle shot away from death.

I didn't want to restart because I went through so much sh*t. I didn't bother to save too because frankly I thought the next turn was the last one. Eventually completed it in one long try. Scored a D with 2 lost souls. It was a great relief for me.

My problem is that you need XP and DCT to upgrade. The first time I encountered the Cemetery guy, he offered me an order and I didn't have enough XP for it, so it's gone. I don't think it's been offered since. So I don't want to be caught short. The bonus for aceing a level, or certainly a B grade, is substantial. Not hitting that target makes life harder. I'd have been happier if there was no grading system, just a final score. That would put less pressure on players to speed-through and give a sense of more freedom. Although given the CP limit, I think the game could never really work as an alternative to XCom. When you have to leave soldiers behind every turn because they're so damned slow and a CP spent on them could achieve twice as much spent on a Scout, they just don't move. Even moreso when the Lancers accuracy is sooo poor you can waste CP missing tanks.

Don't worry. I started out late too. Didn't buy anything from the old man until rather late in the game (after Chapter 7). I used "Awake all potentials", "Increase Defense", and "Increase Attack" most often.

I never cared about the grade when I played. So it didn't bother me at all. I only focused on my strategy.

I disliked Lancers too, but they have their use. You'll find out later. At the end of the game, my soldiers were 12,12,9,10,11 (scout, trooper, lancer, engineer, sniper)

I'd prefer every soldier moves every turn, a flat score at the end without huge bonuses, only smaller tallies as we've got, and no in-battle 'events'. That'd make VC the perfect game for me.

Hmm... the current system gives me the flexibility to deploy my soldiers more creatively though. I thought that is critical (e.g., for engineer to refill a few units). If I try to use a unit too often, his/her movement will be shortened.

Chapter 10... is it the beach landing battle ?
Just on that one.
If you have Elite snipers, they should be pretty accurate now...
The real problem is there are no vantage points where a sniper is worthwhile. The movement of a Scout means they can run up close and headshot most baddies. Distance shooting means expense of a CP with no movement, when it's movement that counts most towards hitting an objective. Basically the game is a matter of moving your troops as quickly as possible, expending movement to shoot baddies when they'd inflict too much damage otherwise.

Don't worry. I started out late too. Didn't buy anything from the old man until rather late in the game (after Chapter 7). I used "Awake all potentials", "Increase Defense", and "Increase Attack" most often.
Increase Def and Evasion creates practically god-like troops! You can just run thrugh mobs a lot of the time. This is key to hitting A grades.

I never cared about the grade when I played. So it didn't bother me at all. I only focused on my strategy. I disliked Lancers too, but they have their use. You'll find out later. At the end of the game, my soldiers were 13,12,9,10,11 (scout, trooper, lancer, engineer, sniper)
I'm 12, 11, 11, 11, 11 already. Just unlocked the Lancers useful feature, which should make them more worthwhile. This is where Aceing levels is important, because I have access to better skills and equipment. the game wants me to unlock everything and get all the medals, right, which is accomplished by...'unnatural' tactics ;). Also you can't have unlocked all their potentials. At level 13 my Scouts have 2 out of 4 Battle Potential available.

Hmm... the current system gives me the flexibility to deploy my soldiers more creatively though.
How can moving only some of your troops each turn be more creative than moving all of them? The benefit to this system is you can rush troops. In Fouzen I buffed a Scout, took the tram, ran along the left ledge and killed 2 Shocktroopers and blew up a tank with him, clearing the way to capture the base and blow the bridge the following turn. Well, I guess that is creative use of the soldiers, but the only other option if I were to move the forces 'intelligently' and support each other was to slowly march them over the bridge providing each other covering support.

Let's give another example. When I first entered the Big Tank mission, I thought 'there's a big, tank, I'll take lots of Lancers.' But Having more Lancers is no benefit. The number of shots per turn is dictacted by the number of CP. One Lancer and an Engineer is more efficient. You can buff the Lancer (although increased Tank damage doesn't appear to affect Lancers or the Edelweiss) to get more effective shots. The mission preamble bore no relation at all to effective tactics of its completion. Surely a proper tactical combat game would tell you the intel and you'd choose the setup to best that? Lots of Lancers should give lots of anti-armour firepower. As it is the squad never needs be mixed up between missions. Add Alicia, Largo and Rosie for the extra CPs. Have a couple of Scouts, Wavy, Melville and Ted and my favourites, for doing all the work. I'll also add Jane the psycho Shocktrooper for her Potentials. Chuck in an engineer to patch up the Edleweiss or clear mines, and any spaces can be left empty.

The addition of the Lancers' new feature should see more reason to actually bring Largo along instead of leaving him at the base. There is also some reason to mix up the team with use of potentials now I have the single character Unlock Potential, which can make for quick head-on tank kills in 4CP. As long as they don't miss :rolleyes:. And fingers crossed the missions vary now so snipers actually get some action. Seriously, a game like this really wants snipers to have opportunity fire, so you want to position them on high ground to give covering fire! That's what snipers are for!

The real problem is there are no vantage points where a sniper is worthwhile. The movement of a Scout means they can run up close and headshot most baddies. Distance shooting means expense of a CP with no movement, when it's movement that counts most towards hitting an objective. Basically the game is a matter of moving your troops as quickly as possible, expending movement to shoot baddies when they'd inflict too much damage otherwise.

It depends on the level design. You will encounter some enemies where the Scouts can't get to.

Increase Def and Evasion creates practically god-like troops! You can just run thrugh mobs a lot of the time. This is key to hitting A grades.

I'm 12, 11, 11, 11, 11 already. Just unlocked the Lancers useful feature, which should make them more worthwhile. This is where Aceing levels is important, because I have access to better skills and equipment. the game wants me to unlock everything and get all the medals, right, which is accomplished by...'unnatural' tactics ;). Also you can't have unlocked all their potentials. At level 13 my Scouts have 2 out of 4 Battle Potential available.

Yap ! That's one of the reasons I liked the game. I could complete it without grinding but still have fun without speed running.

How can moving only some of your troops each turn be more creative than moving all of them? The benefit to this system is you can rush troops. In Fouzen I buffed a Scout, took the tram, ran along the left ledge and killed 2 Shocktroopers and blew up a tank with him, clearing the way to capture the base and blow the bridge the following turn. Well, I guess that is creative use of the soldiers, but the only other option if I were to move the forces 'intelligently' and support each other was to slowly march them over the bridge providing each other covering support.

You said it. That's creative use of your resources depending on your objective. I did it the traditional way since I don't care about the scoring (but 1-2 still get left behind)

Let's give another example. When I first entered the Big Tank mission, I thought 'there's a big, tank, I'll take lots of Lancers.' But Having more Lancers is no benefit. The number of shots per turn is dictacted by the number of CP. One Lancer and an Engineer is more efficient. You can buff the Lancer (although increased Tank damage doesn't appear to affect Lancers or the Edelweiss) to get more effective shots. The mission preamble bore no relation at all to effective tactics of its completion. Surely a proper tactical combat game would tell you the intel and you'd choose the setup to best that? Lots of Lancers should give lots of anti-armour firepower. As it is the squad never needs be mixed up between missions. Add Alicia, Largo and Rosie for the extra CPs. Have a couple of Scouts, Wavy, Melville and Ted and my favourites, for doing all the work. I'll also add Jane the psycho Shocktrooper for her Potentials. Chuck in an engineer to patch up the Edleweiss or clear mines, and any spaces can be left empty.

It changes with the situation. For Chapter 7, at first, I had a good spread of talent. Then I relied on the scouts for the top radiators. In latter part of the game, I only summoned lancers because they could take more hits. Plus the scripted event forced me to improvise. I know some will cry foul but in a real battlefield, intelligience is not always timely, complete or accurate anyway.

Since my crew are lower level than yours, my deployment has to be more optimized and dynamic. That's part of my strategy.

The addition of the Lancers' new feature should see more reason to actually bring Largo along instead of leaving him at the base. There is also some reason to mix up the team with use of potentials now I have the single character Unlock Potential, which can make for quick head-on tank kills in 4CP. As long as they don't miss :rolleyes:. And fingers crossed the missions vary now so snipers actually get some action. Seriously, a game like this really wants snipers to have opportunity fire, so you want to position them on high ground to give covering fire! That's what snipers are for!

I only use Lancers for specific purpose and missions. I retire them from the bases and summon them as needed. They travel slow. :)

I always have 1-2 snipers on staff because they help to take out 1-2 enemies per turn.

I always have 1-2 snipers on staff because they help to take out 1-2 enemies per turn.
In every mission so far the snipers have tended to start too far back from the action to be any use, and move too slowly to get anywhere useful. By the time they're in position, the guys they're supposed to be supporting have run on ahead beyond the Sniper's effective range. The only level I recall where the Snipers were 'well positoned' is Chapter 4's desert, in which I wasted about 4 rounds injuring one sniper and missing everything else, and then that same sniper killed my sniper. On the second attempt, I rode Edelweiss in and mortared the top of the roof, killing both snipers and severly injuring the shocktrooper. I killed another Shocktrooper on route, making 3.5 kills in 4 CP and setting up Edleweiss to give opportunity+support fire, versus 4 CP to half-kill a sniper. That's a far more efficient use of CP!

That obviously reflects upon me as a game player and a person - I like efficiency and dislike wasted effort! So it is fair to say that I could choose to play the game differently be more squad based. But it's still far short in that respect versus the game I am comparing it to, XCom. That game required management of time and proper troop movements and covering fire. Positioning and pacing were essential. And by design VC encourages reckless play. The buff system and grading is all about individual performance. Getting a proper squad-based tactical game requires ignoring the game design and making you're own rules of engagement. As another example, finding bonus weapons requires ignoring the objective and sneaking around back corners to find hidden Aces.

In every mission so far the snipers have tended to start too far back from the action to be any use, and move too slowly to get anywhere useful. By the time they're in position, the guys they're supposed to be supporting have run on ahead beyond the Sniper's effective range. The only level I recall where the Snipers were 'well positoned' is Chapter 4's desert, in which I wasted about 4 rounds injuring one sniper and missing everything else, and then that same sniper killed my sniper. On the second attempt, I rode Edelweiss in and mortared the top of the roof, killing both snipers and severly injuring the shocktrooper. I killed another Shocktrooper on route, making 3.5 kills in 4 CP and setting up Edleweiss to give opportunity+support fire, versus 4 CP to half-kill a sniper. That's a far more efficient use of CP!

For me, Snipers are in-between Lancers and Shocktroopers. I summon them early. Once the enemies got out of range, I retire them to base and re-summon them from a new base. Sometimes, a combination of elite sniper and scout is more efficient than using scouts alone (or scout and shocktrooper).

That obviously reflects upon me as a game player and a person - I like efficiency and dislike wasted effort! So it is fair to say that I could choose to play the game differently be more squad based. But it's still far short in that respect versus the game I am comparing it to, XCom. That game required management of time and proper troop movements and covering fire. Positioning and pacing were essential.

I don't think VC aims to be a strict strategy war game. RPG stuff is thrown in to appeal to more gamers.

And by design VC encourages reckless play. The buff system and grading is all about individual performance. Getting a proper squad-based tactical game requires ignoring the game design and making you're own rules of engagement. As another example, finding bonus weapons requires ignoring the objective and sneaking around back corners to find hidden Aces.

Those're the RPG elements. I actually think they are part of the game design, not unlike side quests in RPG games. The speed run tactics are meant for replay (and may be hardcore Japanese gamers who like to speed run).

The problem is VC's grading system. It should encompass all these value-added activities, rather than just speed of completing missions.

Regarding the multiple move per unit per turn, I think as long as the enemies can do the same, it makes the game more varied.

Back