SCE Joins Stanford's Folding@home Program (B3D ID=32377)

Yes, my score for the first WU is 350 points. I'm working on a bigger one now (43% completed)... similar to xbd's.

Do I get X-ray vision when I hit 10,000 points ?

Looks like they are getting 350

Whee! For 8.5 hours? That's better than GPUs were getting when I was doing my X1900 XT in November. Unless they've jiggered the points again since. I was getting 330 each, but only 2 per day (PS3 seems to be not quite 3/day).

By the way it is being said on the folding forums that the PS3 client DO have the same 'limited type of WUs' restriction that the GPU client does. So from a $/output perspective, plain old ATI GPUs are still the way to go, as I mentioned earlier in this topic.

Judging by the endless discussion of points per WU, tflops, and WU types, Stanford is not providing a decent metric for "value" of a unit of work. They have already stated that points awarded do not accurately reflect "science" done.
Personally I think they are over their heads with the diversity of users, clients and platforms and are just trying to keep participants tuned in and working without actually being able to feed back to the community enough information for it to decide what the cheapest cruncher-per-dollar actually is. Is it a multi-core rig, an ATI gpu, or a PS3? right now this appears to be impossible to calculate .. not because we aren't given vital info, but because nobody really knows..

It's not about comparison between A and B, it's about using extra (and existing) resources. These people may not fold (without F@H PS3) to begin with.

So they may have no interest to buy a GPU or a dedicated folding client. They have a PS3 and just want to use the idle time to help out. I don't really see any conflict/wrongdoing with that.

Something I didn't catch on to until it became night time; the lights (the blue ones, not the yellow) you see around the various parts of the globe reflect where it's night time. Right now (9:32PM) the eastern coast of the US is pretty lit. :)

Sounds cool but I'm going to play it a little selfish with this one. I want to extend the life of my PS3 as long as possible so I think I'll pass on the extra wear and tear.

Hrrm. I'm not seeing any evidence that PS3 points got added to the team today. And I know there were several people who did WU for us.

I'm 197 on the list... Molecule #2 is only 66% completed because my PS3 was piping music to the entire house this afternoon :D

EDIT: Hey Sony, Make F@H friendly to background music playing ! (Simultaneous web browsing with F@H is already in... I'm sure PS3 has resources to play my own music in place of the hard-coded ambient sound in F@H).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hrrm. I'm not seeing any evidence that PS3 points got added to the team today. And I know there were several people who did WU for us.
I've finished up 1 work unit, so far. It has not (nor has my username) been added yet. I'm guessing they (Standford's servers) were hit with far more traffic than they had originally anticipated. Looking at the OS stats, they're almost halfway to their initial "goal" of 10,000 active PS3s and it hasn't even been a full day since the client was made available.

I'm 197 on the list... Molecule #2 is only 66% completed because my PS3 was piping music to the entire house this afternoon :D

EDIT: Hey Sony, Make F@H friendly to background music playing ! (Simultaneous web browsing with F@H is already in... I'm sure PS3 has resources to play my own music in place of the hard-coded ambient sound in F@H).

Apart from playing games, is there any other thing that is disabled while PS3 is folding? I was wondering about things like watching BR movies and slideshow and other things.

Apart from playing games, is there any other thing that is disabled while PS3 is folding? I was wondering about things like watching BR movies and slideshow and other things.

In F@H, you can access the web browser to check your stats (but you can't enter new URL, only follow links and submit forms).

Background downloading also seems to work (Downloading Transformer trailer as we speak).

Everything else is off. You can't put F@H into the background, so time sharing with BR watching, slideshow and music playback is impossible now.

You can surf the web too while Folding. But only one website can be open, not 6.

Oh and here's the lastest information.

2w66l4x.jpg

Unreal!
This could be an insane temptation to dedicated PC folders, you know, those who have multiple rigs running 24/7 and throw the latest multi-core CPU in there just to watch their scores sore (remember 3DMark2k1, before it started sucking? -- like that).

If you show persons with a demonstrated willingness for regular PC hardware updates that all their best efforts are obliterated by a 600$ console, one that any doofus can buy and which is even adequately quiet for 24/7 operation anywhere, what are the chances of them switching horses?

The numbers are increasing so fast. Stanford will have their 10,000 PS3s in a matter of hours. Should be there within the first 1.5 days. Maybe it's time to up their expectations. :LOL:

29muihd.jpg

Back