Sony in talks on commercial use for PS3

patsu

Legend
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1238b9f2-e799-11db-8098-000b5df10621.html

Masa Chatani, chief technology officer at Sony Computer Entertainment, said in an interview with the FT on Tuesday that the company had received numerous inquiries regarding this “distributed computing†model.

Under Stanford University’s Folding@Home programme, which studies how protein cells assemble, PS3 users can join the network by clicking on an icon on the screen. Stanford automatically sends packets of data out to these machines – which have to remain switched on when they are idle – to analyse and collect, tabulate and visualise the results.

“This kind of computing model could be used in a commercial application,†Mr Chatani said. “For example, a start-up or a pharmaceutical company that lacks a super-computer could utilise this kind of infrastructure. We are discussing various options with companies and exploring commercial applications.â€

It could work, if you get some money for your PS3 computing time. It would be great, if there was multiple programs as FOH. In example, you could participate on rendering some new animation movie or taking part on Saddam's military program, which he tried with PS2's;)

Good find Patsu, it'll be interesting to see if anything actually comes of the PS3 network on the commercial distributed computing front. It's no doubt cool, but it seems like it may be too much of a logistical/framework hassle to actually put into motion.

I told you so;)

Good find Patsu, it'll be interesting to see if anything actually comes of the PS3 network on the commercial distributed computing front. It's no doubt cool, but it seems like it may be too much of a logistical/framework hassle to actually put into motion.
The F@H client for PS3 was I think basically a demonstration project to show PS3 consoles are a manageable computing resource that are ready for commercial use, it's not that they suddenly became philanthropic. Also the pie grows every month. For a cool GUI or a mini game PS3 users are likely to return their watts. SCE can sell a place in XMB or be paid to build a GUI client distributed for free. So in this new economy it's like buying entertainment not by actual money, but by watts. It's a form of utility computing about which Kutaragi was talking in an interview or a speech. Currently it's just a simple form such as F@H, but in future, more complex form of this system will appear on PS3 like mixing distributed computing workload into an actual game or forming a P2P cluster.

Why SPE has a small local memory is not only because of the memory hierarchy, but also because it's suitable for distributed computing. The old APUlet is still alive as SPUlet in this patent application in 2005
http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=US2007074206&F=0
Operating cell processors over a network

Publication number: US2007074206
Publication date: 2007-03-29
Inventor: IWAMOTO TATSUYA (US)
Applicant: SONY COMP ENTERTAINMENT INC (JP)

Abstract of US2007074206

Cell processors, data structures and methods for operating two or more cell processors over are disclosed. A cell processor can load, store and save information relating to the operation of one or more of its synergistic processing elements (SPE) in units of migration called extended SPUlets that include either two or more SPU images or one or more SPU images and additional information related to operation of multiple SPU, e.g., shared initialized data. Data representing such extended SPUlet may be embodied in a processor readable medium. The extended SPUlet provides a larger grain size unit of migration.

The security sandbox of SPE is useful not only for DRM, but also for tamper protection in distributing work units onto random nodes.

It won't work without either being a background operation that people don't mind running, or having some incentives (could be paid in Sony network credit). Sony's petaflop dreams have been dashed by a lack of interest - 80,000 PS3s, a quarter on at a time. There's lots of processing power there, but that's from people with an interest in the Folding cause. Who's going to want to donate Cell cycles to some corporate startup or pharmaceutical compnay (and we all know what great reputation those compnaies have!) making money from their research?

It won't work without either being a background operation that people don't mind running, or having some incentives (could be paid in Sony network credit). Sony's petaflop dreams have been dashed by a lack of interest - 80,000 PS3s, a quarter on at a time. There's lots of processing power there, but that's from people with an interest in the Folding cause. Who's going to want to donate Cell cycles to some corporate startup or pharmaceutical compnay (and we all know what great reputation those compnaies have!) making money from their research?

Me and by the looks of it i´m not alone, if the Folding Client was a truely background working program that didn´t intrude in anyway more would run it as well.

Do you think your negative tone reflects the FOH guys as well, they doubled their efforts with the PS3 and it can only go up.

I don't think you read my post properly. Folding is a 'charity' good cause. It's open knowledge for everyone. People like that. Would you rather instead of running Folding or other good cause clients, run commercial ventures for companies?

I don't think you read my post properly. Folding is a 'charity' good cause. It's open knowledge for everyone. People like that. Would you rather instead of running Folding or other good cause clients, run commercial ventures for companies?

I think it's suggested that you would be compensated for your contribution in some way. That's the incentive. You'd then have the question of whether people would be charitable with their CPU cycles and stick with things like F@H, or be more tempted by commercial reward.

The incentive is how the client is built. 1 SPE is reserved so it's enough for donation, but 2 or 3 SPEs won't hurt. With the left SPEs, you can build a game PS3 users can play for free. While users play that game online, computing resources are donated.

It's similar to in-game advertisements in the way that it donates a part of computing resources in a game console for a non-gaming purpose.

So in a practical scenario

pro

The cost to build/lease a good GUI client (which is a visualizer, a game, or whatever that is entertaining) can be much cheaper than buying a hardware computing cluster. A hardware computing cluster gets obsolete quickly, but the PS3 install base grows every year.

con

It's unpredictable how much computing resources can be obtained. No one may play it if other more interesting things appear. (But this can be amendable by not associating a specific client with a specific workload)

Last edited by a moderator:
The incentive is how the client is built. 1 SPE is reserved so it's enough for donation, but 2 or 3 SPEs won't hurt. With the left SPEs, you can build a game PS3 users can play for free. While users play that game online, computing resources are donated.

That's just one possible model though. You could also receive money in your PS3 account, for instance.

That's just one possible model though. You could also receive money in your PS3 account, for instance.
Of course, but there can be a case where collective payments get larger than the cost to buy an actual hardware supercomputer.

Of course, but there can be a case where collective payments get larger than the cost to buy an actual hardware supercomputer.

If you actually had one million PS3´s crunching data how would it compare to one super computer?

Pay pr workunit into the Sony Wallet and draw a price every day for example downloadable games.

Supercomputers are already being leased if it's too expensive to buy just like cars.
Yeah in that case paying each contributer is even more difficult. Giving them rewards in the form of software (game, movie, music, in-game item) is more affordable and competitive. Anyway supercomputers with Cell or Cell-like processors are still not so common.

It'll be like Google's advertising model where the highest bidder gets the largest resources.

I think there's alot of potential here..

Sony could do so much with it in terms of commercial potential to business and incentives for users..

Some ideas:-

A) Simply setup aditional schemes where users can sign up and offer idle time for commercial distributed computing.. The users could benefit from earning incentive points which could be redeemed for real world vouchers for specific products, points for Son'ys online store and more.. Problem is unless a global platform was established, seperate clients for seperate companies could swamp the system..

B) Same as A) but where the client offers some kind of game platform where users can download and play games whilst the distributed processing goes on in the background aswell as full Cell use during idle time.. (thus encouraging users to spent more time overall with their PS3s in use..)

C) Setup a platform the same as B) but tie it into the whole Game 3.0 idea by allowing user-created games to be put together and deployed onto the platform which allows users to sign up and play homebrew games built to a restricted Sony-defined spec leaving the rest of the system open for background processing throughout..

The best option would be to take the elements of all three and combine them into another great service (along side Home) which the PS3 could offer to add value to the consumer and to Sony themselves..

But that's the thing, isn't it? A competitive pricing point will be found, or not. Whether this is through combining it with game-sales, Sony wallet rewards, or whatever else, doesn't really matter.

Say that it costs me 14.4 euro to keep my PS3 on for a month. Someone is willing to pay me 30 euro to keep it on when I am not gaming (for, say, 12 hours per day) and have it contribute towards their project, that could be worth it for me.

Of course, there are areas in the world where electricity is cheaper.

That would mean 60 euro for having a PS3 available 24/7 for a month (2x12 hours). 1000 PS3s would therefore cost 60000 per month. I'm taking fairly generous numbers here, I think.

How would that compare to hiring a super-computer with comparable performance?

Even if I got only 14.4 euro per month, that would still cover my electricity bill and still give me 12 hours per day to use my PS3. So I might still do that, in which case monthly cost would be 30000 for 1000 PS3s. Etc.

It all depends on whether or not there 1) is an alternative and 2) is more affordable in terms of real costs (programming, operating, logistics, etc.)

That's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of (if it's in the original article...:oops: !). I guess we can look forwards to Burger King embedding medical research in it's future download titles to develop a pill to counteract all their saturated fats...and then sell those pills! :sly:

Heh heh... it doesn't have to be games though. PS3 has plenty of free cycles while playing music and DVD too. Don't know how well it will turn out.

It looks like Sony is consolidating/repackaging Internet into the Playstation brand.

* Distributed/Grid computing (F@H and now this)
* MySpace, SecondLife, ... (Home)
* P2P media/file sharing (Downloadable game sharing, Playstation Home video sharing)
* YouTube, Grouper (Home)
* Web surfing
* RSS
* Remote access (Location Free, Remote Play)
* Online gaming + built-in specialized community (LBP, SingStar, and other Game 3.0 related effort)
* Media sales like iTunes (later this year)

We may see PayPal/eBay (Consumer-to-consumer commerce) in the future too.

They could save a couple of SPE to run those programs when the PS3 is running "Home". Imagine if you hang out in the Home matrix long enough you will get free downloadable games. That's awesome.

While interesting, distributed or utility computing schemes have been thought of before.

I think Sun's tried pushing something like that to little effect.

I don't know if the PS3 can do well for a commercial scheme if the entire platform didn't already have that as a primary goal.

Back