Scalebound

It might have also been the case of Phil Harrison or whoever personally handled the interaction between MS and Platinum games hand waving away the issue and telling them that it's technically easy to implement.
Quite a lot of Platinum Game's titles have included incredibly precise 3D combat mechanics that wouldn't translate well to the latency-heavy online realm.

Phil Harrison was appointed to a Europe-focused position, I'm not sure why he would have had any role here. This would have more likely have fallen under Phil Spencer in his various previous roles prior to becoming head of Xbox in 2017. This was sort of conceded in various statements that Phil Spencer has since made. These things happen.

Quite a lot of Platinum Game's titles have included incredibly precise 3D combat mechanics that wouldn't translate well to the latency-heavy online realm.

Phil Harrison was appointed to a Europe-focused position, I'm not sure why he would have had any role here. This would have more likely have fallen under Phil Spencer in his various previous roles prior to becoming head of Xbox in 2017. This was sort of conceded in various statements that Phil Spencer has since made. These things happen.

The statements in that article don't reflect what Spencer had or had not had a direct hand in prior to him becoming head of operations overseeing the Xbox division. Since becoming the head of operations, however, he's taken full responsibility for everything that has happened since he's head of operations now. He generally doesn't tend to blame past people for past bad decisions because people don't really care about that, they only care about whether the person in charge no is going to take responsibility and address any deficiencies now regardless of whether that person was responsible for deficiencies caused by anyone previously in charge. Also since he was VP of MS Game Studios prior to this, he can't "throw anyone under the bus" regardless of whether or not he disagreed with the direction of 1st party game developement.

Much like what happens in many companies, internal politics are pulled one way or another depending on how well any given person in the organization can persuade the person in charge that X is the direction the company or division of the company (We've seen this at Sony/PlayStation as well as MS/Xbox) should go. In this case, who had more pull with Don Mattrick? Phil Harrison was an incredibly vocal proponent of everything having an integrated online GAAS component and he obviously held more political currency in Xbox at the time compared to other regional directors. This lines up with the direction that Don Mattrick wanted to take things in order to further monetize Xbox WRT integration of Xbox into the living room of everyone on the planet :)p a bit of exaggeration). So, his association with Gaikai and belief that the future of gaming was in monetized GAAS gave him far more internal political clout than Phil Spencer. Comments by Spencer that made it to the public prior to becoming head of Xbox in 2014 were extremely rare in comparison.

What we can see is that after being put in charge of MS Gaming is that he was quick to reverse course on all of those initiatives, if he didn't feel they aligned with the market or how he wanted MS gaming to evolve. He obviously couldn't do it immediately as he first had to establish that he was the right person to head the division. So he first stabilized the internal situation within Xbox before tackling the challenge of addression Microsoft's direction WRT 1st party game development with the various 1st party studios that they had at the time.
  • Rare was allowed to continue with Sea of Thieves because it was a pet project of theirs that they really wanted to do.
  • Scalebound and Fable were cancelled.
    • Scalebound was a 3rd party effort while Fable was no longer a tentpole IP.
    • Additionally, unlike Sea of Thieves, the Fable devs never really talked passionately about how they wanted to make the game.
  • Gears of War 4 was a tentpole IP so couldn't be cancelled or delayed so it had bad microtransactions.
    • Gears 5, however, which started development under Phil's watch only had cosmetic microtransactions.
It's interesting to think that Project Xcloud was a carry over from the previous administration, but that couldn't be further from the truth if interviews are to be believed. It wasn't even Phil's idea or anything Phil was thinking about until Kareem Choudhry approached him about it back in 2016. And that idea came to him as a result of work he'd done on his secret Xbox BC project. Up until then Phil had a razor-sharp focus on getting MS 1st party studios to refocus on single player experiences that didn't rely on an online component, regardless of whether or not those games would have an online component.

I have seen people mistakenly take this interview with Phil Spencer to mean that he wants microtransactions in games and wants all games to be GAAS:

Xbox chief: we need to create a Netflix of video games | Xbox | The Guardian

But that's actually about providing a market for games where microtransactions aren't required. A market where single player narrative games can co-exist alongside games as a service. Basically Game Pass where a narrative focused game doesn't have to worry about monetization because more people will play the game if there is less of a barrier (having to purchase the game) between them and playing the game.

Hmmm, I better stop here before I start rambling too much on a sidetrack. :D

Regards,
SB

The statements in that article don't reflect what Spencer had or had not had a direct hand in prior to him becoming head of operations overseeing the Xbox division. Since becoming the head of operations, however, he's taken full responsibility for everything that has happened since he's head of operations now. He generally doesn't tend to blame past people for past bad decisions because people don't really care about that, they only care about whether the person in charge no is going to take responsibility and address any deficiencies now regardless of whether that person was responsible for deficiencies caused by anyone previously in charge. Also since he was VP of MS Game Studios prior to this, he can't "throw anyone under the bus" regardless of whether or not he disagreed with the direction of 1st party game developement.

Much like what happens in many companies, internal politics are pulled one way or another depending on how well any given person in the organization can persuade the person in charge that X is the direction the company or division of the company (We've seen this at Sony/PlayStation as well as MS/Xbox) should go. In this case, who had more pull with Don Mattrick? Phil Harrison was an incredibly vocal proponent of everything having an integrated online GAAS component and he obviously held more political currency in Xbox at the time compared to other regional directors. This lines up with the direction that Don Mattrick wanted to take things in order to further monetize Xbox WRT integration of Xbox into the living room of everyone on the planet :)p a bit of exaggeration). So, his association with Gaikai and belief that the future of gaming was in monetized GAAS gave him far more internal political clout than Phil Spencer. Comments by Spencer that made it to the public prior to becoming head of Xbox in 2014 were extremely rare in comparison.

What we can see is that after being put in charge of MS Gaming is that he was quick to reverse course on all of those initiatives, if he didn't feel they aligned with the market or how he wanted MS gaming to evolve. He obviously couldn't do it immediately as he first had to establish that he was the right person to head the division. So he first stabilized the internal situation within Xbox before tackling the challenge of addression Microsoft's direction WRT 1st party game development with the various 1st party studios that they had at the time.
  • Rare was allowed to continue with Sea of Thieves because it was a pet project of theirs that they really wanted to do.
  • Scalebound and Fable were cancelled.
    • Scalebound was a 3rd party effort while Fable was no longer a tentpole IP.
    • Additionally, unlike Sea of Thieves, the Fable devs never really talked passionately about how they wanted to make the game.
  • Gears of War 4 was a tentpole IP so couldn't be cancelled or delayed so it had bad microtransactions.
    • Gears 5, however, which started development under Phil's watch only had cosmetic microtransactions.
It's interesting to think that Project Xcloud was a carry over from the previous administration, but that couldn't be further from the truth if interviews are to be believed. It wasn't even Phil's idea or anything Phil was thinking about until Kareem Choudhry approached him about it back in 2016. And that idea came to him as a result of work he'd done on his secret Xbox BC project. Up until then Phil had a razor-sharp focus on getting MS 1st party studios to refocus on single player experiences that didn't rely on an online component, regardless of whether or not those games would have an online component.

I have seen people mistakenly take this interview with Phil Spencer to mean that he wants microtransactions in games and wants all games to be GAAS:

Xbox chief: we need to create a Netflix of video games | Xbox | The Guardian

But that's actually about providing a market for games where microtransactions aren't required. A market where single player narrative games can co-exist alongside games as a service. Basically Game Pass where a narrative focused game doesn't have to worry about monetization because more people will play the game if there is less of a barrier (having to purchase the game) between them and playing the game.

Hmmm, I better stop here before I start rambling too much on a sidetrack. :D

Regards,
SB

Sea of Thieves made everyone stand up and take notice when it was first shown. All the gaming press was impressed (see what I did there) I don't think you can say that the other games

Would be amazing if they work it out and make it happen...and then it turns out to be awesome.

Would be a cool redemption arc! Lol

I mean at this point restart the project with unreal engine 5 and change the scope again. They have shipped more games since then so hopefully they have gotten more experiance and are able to bring the project to fruition.

I would love to see that happen, especially without GAAS being forced on the game. If Kamiya decides he it fits his vision of the game, then great. If it doesn't at least he won't be required to include it.

However, that said, I have a hard time seeing Phil Spencer having the leeway to OK funding for a 3rd party exclusive now that they've acquired so many studios. Back then MS needed 3rd party exclusives since they had so few internal studios. Getting approval for funding for that was much easier back then. Now, with so many internal studios, MS doesn't need 3rd party exclusives to have exclusives on their platform.

Then again, Phil Spencer is the CEO of MS Games now, so he has more latitude WRT how that division is run. However, at the end of the day he still has to answer to Nadella.

Still, would love to see Kamiya's vision for the game unfettered by outside requirements to include things he may not have wanted originally.

Regards,
SB

Studio feels like they have too many things going on at once to give any positive hope on any revive they work on. They need to finish those others and prove they can deliver on quality before they should even dream to work on a project for Xbox.

Glad someone posted this I wanted to talk about it but didn't want to bring up an old thread.

How many Unreal engine games have Platinum delivered since then? If they have delivered some Unreal games, then letting them have another crack at it alone might work out. Microsoft has a great deal of studios under their belt right now and more in the future with experience with the engine and online co-op to help out, if need be, the question is, can they work with a western studio to make it happen?

Well, they certainly fill a hole but I'm not sure about them being a fit for Microsoft considering what happened in the past.

Well, they certainly fill a hole but I'm not sure about them being a fit for Microsoft considering what happened in the past.
Was it double fine that had one of their titles cancelled before?

Both sides seems like they except their roles, and have moved past it.
Maybe not having to manage being an indie hunting for funding, and wider tech support would be beneficial for platinum and having another Japanese studio positive for xbox.
Could be a really good fit.

As for scalebound.
Get it finished as a cross gen game with no last gen release so performance is not a problem.
As long as it plays ok, could potentially get it finished in a year.
With a second out, few years later.

Psychonauts was an MS published title. They backed away from it and Double Fine had to find another publisher.

Ultimately, MS of today is very different to MS of 17 years ago, or even 4 yrs ago. It might be a honeymoon period, as few titles have actually been release by their acquired studios, but to date there's only been positive comments from them.

Reactions: Jay

Both sides seems like they except their roles, and have moved past it.
Maybe not having to manage being an indie hunting for funding, and wider tech support would be beneficial for platinum and having another Japanese studio positive for xbox.
Could be a really good fit.

As for scalebound.
Get it finished as a cross gen game with no last gen release so performance is not a problem.
As long as it plays ok, could potentially get it finished in a year.
With a second out, few years later.
I believe it was obsidian who got cancelled. They tried to save the project and repurposed it as the game known as Tyranny

Reactions: Jay
Thanks for the clarification guy's.
Shows that can move past such things though.

I also think that xbox of today would handle a purchased studio such as platinum a lot better than if it happened 10 years ago.

Looks like they are very much open to being bought, and it really would bring more diversity to xbox.
Small enough purchase to not get pulled into the AB review.

I'm sure it's not that simple, but they should just do it. So they can honour their current contracts and get started on exclusives.

Just do it Phil , that's like microsoft couch money
The circumstances under which an American company would be allowed to buy a Japanese company under Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act, would remove all incentive for Microsoft to buy it.

The circumstances under which an American company would be allowed to buy a Japanese company under Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act, would remove all incentive for Microsoft to buy it.
I'm hearing that is a myth. They would block someone for national security reasons and maybe if the company is culturally significant enough (Large Japanese Publisher) would regulation get in the way. The biggest problems Microsoft would have buying a single Japanese developer is culture, not only national but corporate. If they would allow a Chinese company to buy a Japanese developer, I believe there is less of a problem allowing a company like Microsoft to buy one.

This is a single studios no one will block anything. This is not like they coming for Square-Enix, Capcom, SEGA or Bandai Namco.

Back