SATA hdd connector snapped...F#$K.

Sobek

Locally Operating
Veteran
I can't believe this just happened. As some of you might know, i've been working on a Media Center based HTPC alongside toying with a friends one.

Well just before I was cleaning up some wiring, and I went to unplug the sata cable from the back of the hdd (Samsung 80gb SATA), and for no reason, it practically exploded! I was pulling the cable out straight as can be, and then I just heard this massive CRACK, followed by shards of sharp black plastic flying at my face. I have NFI what had just happened, until I looked at the back of the hdd. For some reason, the sata pins are sitting there on their own, with no plastic support, totally BENT. After screaming inside and wishing death upon myself for 5 minutes, I decided on a plan...I was going to find the plastic pin-holder, shove it into the sata cable connector, and just slide it down over the exposed pins on the hdd. So far, it's worked fine. Found the main piece intact, plugged it in, slid it on, and hopefully everything will work as normal.

What do you guys think? Given how tight the hole are on the sata cable with the connector is (heh, such explicit terms), and how tightly the pins slid in (ahhh man), i'm hoping that with a little care, everything should work out fine...I get the impression that it would have straightened out the pins nicely. Any chance it could short? I wouldn't think there would be any kind of voltage going through the pins that could cause a problem. I suppose if it works, first thing i'm doing is ghosting the drive (days of work, i'll be royally f$%^ed if i'm going to lose that :p ), and go down to where I bought it and explain in the nicest way possible my explosive situation.

They'd better replace the damn thing, or i'll go bananas.

Heat affected plastics or SATA cable locking mechanisms can sometimes lead to broken plugs. As long as the pins are straightened & the drive is working fine, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. You could glue the broken bits together with crazy/super glue.

What happens in the future when the next guy goes to swap out the drive, or something?

"Oh SHIT!"

Then, you simply go, "YOU BROKE IT! OMFG!"

What happens in the future when the next guy goes to swap out the drive, or something?

"Oh SHIT!"

Then, you simply go, "YOU BROKE IT! OMFG!"

Ahahaha, that I will my good sir, that I will :LOL:

Well, I left the drive sit for about 20 minutes, to let the pins get used to being straight again inside the connection, then hooked it up and hit the power button. Bam! Worked just perfect first go...I also installed 3 coloured fans into the front of the storage cabinet it's in, to aid in airflow..works great.

I'll have to post a pic at some stage of the damage that occured :devilish:

The SATA interface is a bad flimsy design. Others have had this happen as well, including the whole connector snap off.

Back