Saddam Arrested

hurray, huroo, after killing THOUSANDS of civilians, after HUNDREDS of our OWN SOLDIERS be KILLED and TORTURED, we have managed to capture the boogeyman! Definitely well worth it! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

edit:
oh yeah, did I mention how emminently dangerous to the US he was with his one missle burried so far out in the desert that we still havn't found it.....

[maven said:
]
nelg said:
Who cares about WMD. The fact is that a country with millions of people now has a chance to taste freedom.

It was the bloody excuse for the war in the first place!
The point I am trying to make is that if I lived in a country where there was no freedom of movement, freedom of association etc. I would be fighting like hell to change that. I would also welcome any one that wished to help me. I would not require any other pretext (like WMD) to justify it.

nelg said:
The point I am trying to make is that if I lived in a country where there was no freedom of movement, freedom of association etc. I would be fighting like hell to change that. I would also welcome any one that wished to help me. I would not require any other pretext (like WMD) to justify it.
me too, especially if they killed 10,000 civilans, some of whom were my friends and family, in the process.

nelg said:
The point I am trying to make is that if I lived in a country where there was no freedom of movement, freedom of association etc. I would be fighting like hell to change that.

Umm, actually, I think you would be keeping your head low like everyone else and avoid sticking out of the crowd, or else you'd have it lopped off your shoulders.

;)

*G*

zurich said:
For godsakes, HE GASSED HIS OWN PEOPLE!
of course he deserves to die, I think almost everyone in the world can agree on that. However, did the 10000 Iraqi civilians and hundreds of American soldiers (and counting) deserve to die just so that America could take out Saddam? To prevent him from nuking someone, then it might have been a very painful but nessesary cost. But, if he was a few minutes away from nuking someone, there would have been a LOT of evidence left behind, no matter how hard he tried to cover it up. With as many people searching for any evidince of any kind for so long and turning up with absolutely nothing, can you really justify the death of so many people? Please, tell me why all of those people had to die, tell me WHY MY OWN FRIENDS HAD TO DIE? Yes, I lost more than one person- not close friends, but nevertheless people whom I did know and care about. Please, explain to me exactly what they died for?

John Reynolds said:
How did your friend feel the quality of living was in Iraq before the invasion?

I don't think my friend misses Saddam's regime even for a millisecond (in fact he told me himself he personally welcomes the US troops ousting them), but the situation in the country right now is chaotic to say the least. There is no safety.

My friend was one of the survivors of the UN building bombing a while back, fortunately he was unharmed, but imagine having the ceiling coming down on you and stumbling around in the dark whilst around you people are bleeding and dying?

Your somewhat smug tone isn't very suitable seen from his angle I would say.

Hell, just hours before news got out of Saddam's capture, like seventeen people were killed in another attack against a police station!

Silent_One said:
I do have a point, and you just proved it.

You do, and I did how exactly?

Which countries did the US liberate recently just to remove a ruthless dictator? You have to forgive me, but I must have missed it in the news.

*G*

Grall said:
Which countries did the US liberate recently just to remove a ruthless dictator? You have to forgive me, but I must have missed it in the news.
CUBA! oh, wait, that failed and more people died for nothing.... hmm.....

edit:

oh yeah, and there was that place in South America a while ago..... oh yeah, more people died for nothing there too....

Sage said:
zurich said:
of course he deserves to die, I think almost everyone in the world can agree on that. However, did the 10000 Iraqi civilians and hundreds of American soldiers (and counting) deserve to die just so that America could take out Saddam?
I would rephrase that as to liberate a country. And the unfortunate answer would be yes. IMO the issue of people dying is not one of avoidance but of circumstance.

PaulS said:
Mabye he did . Mabye he didn't . Fact is there is no proof either way .

Exactly. No proof.

Amazing the numbers of people who are sent to their death over a disturbing lack of evidence, huh?

So would you suggest we should have stayed out of Iraq?

I think Iraq is now alot closer to peace. No-one will be worrying about him coming back into power.

ByteMe said:
So would you suggest we should have stayed out of Iraq?

I think Iraq is now alot closer to peace. No-one will be worrying about him coming back into power.
YES! WE SHOULD HAVE STAYED OUT MILITARILY.

That does not mean that we should have not tried to change Iraq. I would not be opposed to the CIA assasinating Saddam if it ahd to be done. But, there are much better ways of going about changing things. It would have taken a lot longer, but the end result would likely be much better.

So my bf wakes me up at 6am to tell me that Saddam has been captured and how great it is. I was a little miffed at having my beauty rest disturbed, but that was ok. hehe. What did I tell him?

We didn't capture Osama, the man who directly orchestrated the most deadly attack on American soil in our history, when we had the chance to by sending in enough troops into Afghanistan in 2001, and we still haven't found him yet. We haven't found the imminently threatening WMD, the sole reason we went into Iraq. So what have we truly accomplished?

This event gets a golf clap and a 'meh' until the true objectives of this war on terror and the war in Iraq are accomplished. The capture of Osama Bin Laden and the leadership of Al-Qaeda, and the uncovering of Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction, if they even exist. This event is symbolic in nature, but won't change anything on the ground in Iraq wrt the attacks on our troops, nor will it get us any closer to finding the WMD, especially since many reports have surfaced that Saddam didnt' actually know anything about his own arsenal. He delegated everything to his underlings such as Chemical Ali. But hooray for symbolism.

Some of you may accuse me of just "bush hating" or "america hating" but I see it as pragmatism in this long slog. Something I share in common with the reports coming out of the Administration. This is far from over, and the true original objectives of these wars have not yet been accomplished.

Sage said:
YES! WE SHOULD HAVE STAYED OUT MILITARILY.

That does not mean that we should have not tried to change Iraq. I would not be opposed to the CIA assasinating Saddam if it ahd to be done. But, there are much better ways of going about changing things. It would have taken a lot longer, but the end result would likely be much better.

Hmmm, let's see. The UN tried for over 10 years to "help" Iraq. In that time how many thousands/millions suffered or died? Damn you are cruel.

Sage wrote:
zurich wrote:
of course he deserves to die, I think almost everyone in the world can agree on that. However, did the 10000 Iraqi civilians and hundreds of American soldiers (and counting) deserve to die just so that America could take out Saddam?

First off , innocent people don't deserve to die. Second, ask yourself if 10s of thousands (if not 100's) of people will no longer die at Saddam hands like he has killed in the past. Think of all the mass graves found to date. Hopefully the future will better for the Iraqi people with him gone.

WE SHOULD HAVE STAYED OUT MILITARILY.

That does not mean that we should have not tried to change Iraq. I would not be opposed to the CIA assasinating Saddam if it ahd to be done. But, there are much better ways of going about changing things. It would have taken a lot longer, but the end result would likely be much better

And what "better ways" do you suggest? Not another 12 years of sanctions from the UN I suppose? (Lets see, how many more Iraqi's would have died at Saddam's hand then?). Or lets just send in the CIA to assassinate him (sure, that will work, that will get Baath Party out of power). What do you suggest that hasn't been thought of or tried before?

Grall wrote:
Had you been reading some of the posts here in the past you would have read some discussions on that very topic (by Democoder and others). So yes, you must have missed it. But I guess you just want the USA to go around being the Policeman of the World and "liberating" countries form "ruthless" dictators. Then in your eyes this action would be justified. But I guess since we haven't in the past we can't in this case.

This is a great day!

The attacks on the troops will likely continue, but I would bet they aren't feeling as good about the situation anymore. But the good thing is all the Iraqis that have been paranoid about Saddam returning (and for good reasons I might add, looking at the history) can now feel safe that he won't return. That should help the democratic process.

Humus wrote:
This is a great day! The attacks on the troops will likely continue, but I would bet they aren't feeling as good about the situation anymore. But the good thing is all the Iraqis that have been paranoid about Saddam returning (and for good reasons I might add, looking at the history) can now feel safe that he won't return. That should help the democratic process.
Agreed.
Natoma wrote:
This is far from over, and the true original objectives of these wars have not yet been accomplished.
Agreed. (sorry you did not get your beauty sleep, neither did I :LOL: )

Back