Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Nice touch with the jiggling fat @0:54 :LOL:

Hm...but especially this scene looked super artificial and wrong imo!

On the other hand...combat looked quite good and exciting to me! Does not fit to the previews I read?!?

PS: I wonder if this game gets brutally censored in Germany?

i wish it had hand to hand combat, breakable shields etc... im sure that there is no way to wield a shield that well that long everywhere... I also wish they fought other armies... instead of just random "barbarians".

How are they floating when You dont even see ground on those shots?
How are shadows wrong? And You hardly can see details on the ground because of contrast here, so how did You determined its low res?
And is it first time You've seen grain filter used in game?

You're so reaching.

By floating I mean they seem to be cut-outs stuck onto the background, not floating above the floor.

And the floor textures in that image are very blurred. It might just be the way the shot has come out.

And yes, I've seen grain filters before; just never in such extreme amounts. It's also not very apparent in previous images.

Hm...but especially this scene looked super artificial and wrong imo!

On the other hand...combat looked quite good and exciting to me! Does not fit to the previews I read?!?

PS: I wonder if this game gets brutally censored in Germany?

Yes, and guess it's better to play this not on a full stomach.

Still, I wonder what's the difference between this game and e.g. Infinity Blade on iOS. Ifinity Blade is also hacking into opponents after opponents...

Yes, and guess it's better to play this not on a full stomach.

Still, I wonder what's the difference between this game and e.g. Infinity Blade on iOS. Ifinity Blade is also hacking into opponents after opponents...

But cutting off body parts...could be to hefty for the germans...

True many people are quite happy with current gen uprezzed games.

Other platforms have equally good looking games RudeCurve. Games that use next gen assets and next gen effects just like Ryse does. Your obvious bias towards this game because of it's exclusivity to your favorite platform does not make it unique in the world of next generation graphics so how about you quit the mind numbing "puts all other games to shame comparisons"?

Other platforms have equally good looking games RudeCurve. Games that use next gen assets and next gen effects just like Ryse does. Your obvious bias towards this game because of it's exclusivity to your favorite platform does not make it unique in the world of next generation graphics so how about you quit the mind numbing "puts all other games to shame comparisons"?

I wouldn't say equally good looking. Objectively this game looks better than everything else being released into the market right now. Which includes 1080p forza, cod and killzone. That said the rest of your hand smacking is okay.

You can find that type of statements in basically every single thread about next-gen exclusives, really.

The character and facial animation tech is without doubt the most advanced I've seen in any video game so far. Combined with the renderer and some nice performances from their talent, the results are pretty damn good.
It's a bit different during gameplay, but still good looking and all.

Naughty Dog's stuff is very close, but obviously limited by the PS3 hardware (and most of their cinematics are offline rendered in the engine, using very high quality lighting).

You can find that type of statements in basically every single thread about next-gen exclusives, really.
Yep. Best just to let them slide. There's nothing wrong with someone thinking a game is the bestest ever looking ever in history, any more than 'this is the best book/film/band of all time' type comments.

Otherwise we get derailed discussion comparing products, often with little natural basis for any sort of comparison (completely different genres and targets).

In fact I'll nip this in the bud. People can feel free to start a 'best ever facial animation in games' thread if they want to discuss that.

Thanks.
From those videos it's obvious that enemies gradually get cuts and wounds while in fight , nice .

Yep I was able to see it more clearly when paying more attention to the wounds instead of the actual sword attacks in the forest video. It's interesting because I mentioned wanting this level of damage/wound detail in future games but Crytek is doing it in a launch game.:eek:

I'd also like to see creature damage...doesn't have to be as extensive as cutting off limbs but at least cuts/gashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The character and facial animation tech is without doubt the most advanced I've seen in any video game so far. Combined with the renderer and some nice performances from their talent, the results are pretty damn good.
It's a bit different during gameplay, but still good looking and all.

Naughty Dog's stuff is very close, but obviously limited by the PS3 hardware (and most of their cinematics are offline rendered in the engine, using very high quality lighting).
Can't wait to see what 343i does with halo 5. Their facial mocap techniques were impressive even on the xbox360.

iREEpnz4MRLPu.gif

Great work from them.

Ryse uses imaginarium for their performance capture, and they use over 770 joints for the characters (260 joints just on the faces alone)

I wonder if 343i will best that.

343 only uses joints for the jaw movement and the eyes/eyelids. The rest is all blendshapes and tension based blended normal maps (basically they automatically blend in the wrinkle map when a polygon's surface area shrinks).

But then they compress (sort of cache, but it's even more effective) all the facial deformation and there are no actual facerigs in the engine during cutscenes.

Yep. Best just to let them slide. There's nothing wrong with someone thinking a game is the bestest ever looking ever in history, any more than 'this is the best book/film/band of all time' type comments.

Otherwise we get derailed discussion comparing products, often with little natural basis for any sort of comparison (completely different genres and targets).

In fact I'll nip this in the bud. People can feel free to start a 'best ever facial animation in games' thread if they want to discuss that.

The problem with such absolute statements is that if a game isn't considered the best, then it means it sucks. Which is something you see all the time when somebody gets called a troll for disagreeing about a game being the best.

On a related note, wouldn't it be cool if Crytek's next game is based on a Lord of the Rings like universe aka Project Offset?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back