Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

If I were to say, the combat is more like Assasins Creed than Batman. Playing AC4 right now, it feels exactly like this or even more limiting than this. Press the button the game asks you to: thats all there is to AC4 fighting. Even the glowing enemy thing is there too. I have to keep looking to the top right of the screen for the button prompt or at the enemy, cos "break Defense" prompt comes up on the enemy. If you ignore it, you can keep bashing attack/block/breakdefence/counter button, but u r going to fail. Anoying as hell. Ryse seems forgiving in that regard.

I haven't played an AC game in a long time. Not really a comparison I'm enthused about. Reviews should be interesting.

If you played Ryse on easy difficulty then it shows everything ie button prompts etc. If you play it on max difficulty nothing is shown. Since the fighting is based on flow I don't think it's like AC.

If I were to say, the combat is more like Assasins Creed than Batman. Playing AC4 right now, it feels exactly like this or even more limiting than this. Press the button the game asks you to: thats all there is to AC4 fighting. Even the glowing enemy thing is there too. I have to keep looking to the top right of the screen for the button prompt or at the enemy, cos "break Defense" prompt comes up on the enemy. If you ignore it, you can keep bashing attack/block/breakdefence/counter button, but u r going to fail. Anoying as hell. Ryse seems forgiving in that regard.

Batman is even more like that. You get glowing icons over enemies heads to tell you what button you need to push to counter, dodge or finish an enemy. Interspersed with that you have some freeform combat with enemy "magnets" (attacks automatically go towards the enemy your controller is pointed to).

Basically the same as Ryse from what I've seen. Other than in Ryse you don't have superhuman leaps like you do in Batman.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecsCrOEYl7c

launch trailer is out. After watching videos of all "AAA" games (gameplay/trailers) this is the one on consoles that really made me nod and say nextgen for sure. Really head and shoulders above the rest. The stunning shading, detail, animations and for most parts CGIsh looks are utterly fantastic. Most surfaces, materials etc looks like they have volume, not just flat textured surfaces. A believable 3D world and not just a "staged scene" if you get my meaning.

Will be interesting to se how much more Crytek can push this kind of visuals going multiplatform if PS4 is more powerful and on PC it should be given what they can achieve. Good times ahead.

Turns out MS put up a review embargo on Ryse..
Apparently, no review outlet is allowed to publish a review before the game goes on sale...

It could be MS's own Lair, think about it:
-platform owner funded exclusive game by a third party
-launch game
-upscales to 1080P
-great graphics
-initially designed for full motion controls
-(probably) not so well received in the press with regards to gameplay

How do you guys anticipate the gameplay? We all know that the graphics will be great, but do you think, taking into account the review embargo, the game will be fun to play?

It could be MS's own Lair, think about it:
-upscales to 1080P

Not as much as Lair does, which was basically shading only half of the pixels.

-great graphics

You're kidding here, right? Lair was really, really rushed and sometimes downright ugly, as if the whole game was restarted from scratch about a year before release and rushed together in a crazy crunch. Yeah it had some large levels and monsters, but nothing beyond the scale. And scale alone isn't what I'd call "great graphics" at all.

Ryse on the other hand is one of the most polished launch titles of this generation, there's a lot of very high quality work there and some outstanding technology is driving it.

Ryse on the other hand is one of the most polished launch titles of this generation, there's a lot of very high quality work there and some outstanding technology is driving it.

After seven odd years of work you'd hope it would be at least a little bit polished!

Counting your chickens early or have you finished it?

Just the difference between the E3 build and the current movies is more than enough basis to draw this conclusion.

Also, you guys always seem to forget that I'm looking at the assets in video games with an eye way more critical than practically any of you. I'm not counting anything too early at all... And you should also know that I haven't exactly been a fan of Crytek's content before either.

After seven odd years of work you'd hope it would be at least a little bit polished!

Practically the entire game was restarted from scratch when they took it away from the Budapest studio and scaled it up to be a nextgen title. I imagine they threw out all the assets as well as they were made with X360 poly and texture budgets (that's 2005 hardware, FYI)

Just the difference between the E3 build and the current movies is more than enough basis to draw this conclusion.

Also, you guys always seem to forget that I'm looking at the assets in video games with an eye way more critical than practically any of you. I'm not counting anything too early at all... And you should also know that I haven't exactly been a fan of Crytek's content before either.

Polish usually extend past cut scene graphics to include game play, bugs, animation, etc.

Which are also quite polished.

It's so strange, noone ever argues with me when I write good things about Naughty Dog's stuff.

launch trailer is out. After watching videos of all "AAA" games (gameplay/trailers) this is the one on consoles that really made me nod and say nextgen for sure. Really head and shoulders above the rest. The stunning shading, detail, animations and for most parts CGIsh looks are utterly fantastic. Most surfaces, materials etc looks like they have volume, not just flat textured surfaces. A believable 3D world and not just a "staged scene" if you get my meaning.

Will be interesting to se how much more Crytek can push this kind of visuals going multiplatform if PS4 is more powerful and on PC it should be given what they can achieve. Good times ahead.
Neb!!!!!!! *Raises hand* Nice to see you here!! I am pretty sure I remember you were Nebula, lots of fun reading you, pbjliverpool, Davros and others.

Yes, interesting times ahead, indeed.

It seems like the PS4 is going to outsell everything out there, but I am very interested in what the future will bring, and how Xbox One games and the console itself are going to mature.

I think doesn't have manuals anymore.... Thanks to Magnarock for the pictures

igmWSsatB4eLL.png

icWvhKb0u0jrf.png

iiTUfTlDGDMzD.png

ibmWbr6NRhm2XE.png

ibzRtRx3wVKsGf.png

i9WkLT3hwgGRJ.png

Despite my reservations about gameplay, the launch trailer shows off more impressive visuals. Seems like it'll be a treat for people that just like to play through games to see the scenery. Not really my thing, but it'll probably have a following for that alone. I can see potential in a sequel. Being a launch title, it should actually do pretty well.

I'd also like to add, the ignore list is a great feature. My list keeps growing. Makes threads like this a lot more enjoyable. I'd like to not use it, but that's the way it's going to be if I want to keep reading the forum. I'd recommend anyone that feels the same way take advantage.

it sure looks that way. I can't wait to see for myself. this and resogun are my two next gen picks of the litter. pure next gen-ness.

Batman is even more like that. You get glowing icons over enemies heads to tell you what button you need to push to counter, dodge or finish an enemy. Interspersed with that you have some freeform combat with enemy "magnets" (attacks automatically go towards the enemy your controller is pointed to).

Basically the same as Ryse from what I've seen. Other than in Ryse you don't have superhuman leaps like you do in Batman.

Regards,
SB

You get the same in AC4 too. But Batman's combat has a flow to it, you can get into it after a while of playing. AC and RYSE seem the same to me, maybe also because both use swords to fight. THe flow of battle stops, flows, stops, wait, check what button this enemy needs, start, two hits, break, start.

Back