Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Theres nothing that says that. But what they did say was they wanted to stop after the first ten minutes. Imagine a reviewer wanting to stop playing the last of us during the first ten minutes then saying the game is trash...

If you'd read through it you'd see that he indeed played it for two hours

I spent two hours with the Xbox One title, but it felt like I was entering random numbers into a computer rather than actually playing a video game.
When I sat down at the Ryse: Son of Rome station, I was a fairly blank slate when it came to knowledge of the title. I knew it was developed by the talented team at Crytek, and I knew it was gorgeous based on the videos I had seen at conventions, so I was prepared to be impressed. What I didn’t expect was a desire to get up and leave the demo about ten minutes in. I stuck it out in hopes that it would prove itself a deeper experience over time, but its only success was ensuring my wallet will be $60 heavier when the Xbox One launches.

Expecting a deeper experience? LOL...what the hell does that actually mean??? That's like playing Gears of War and expecting a deeper experience beyond shooting enemies and following along the story...lol....what an idiot...

Well that's certainly good news for the franchise, but personally I always knew it wouldn't be as bad as some made it out to be just from simple observation.

It looks like it may have similar appeal as Beyond Two Souls. Looks great, but lacking much in-depth gameplay. Game Informer played it for two hours and were able to play stretches of the game with one hand. Some will probably love it, others will think it's average at best.

Expecting a deeper experience? LOL...what the hell does that actually mean??? That's like playing Gears of War and expecting a deeper experience beyond shooting enemies and following along the story...lol....what an idiot...

Have you ever even played Gears? If you spent the whole game standing in one place squeezing the right trigger you'd think it sucks. Instead it's a game about tactics and cover and flushing enemies with a variety of enemy and weapon types and various set piece sequences. You know, all the accouterments that confer depth to a game with a core gameplay loop.

Saving one of the videos -the 601MB- for later viewing anytime. It says the download is going to take 2 minutes in my 6MB connection. Did my ISP increased my connection speed? Weird...

How long do you reckon it should take? Assuming you named your connection speed in megabytes correctly... 601/6 = 100 seconds.

Have you ever even played Gears? If you spent the whole game standing in one place squeezing the right trigger you'd think it sucks. Instead it's a game about tactics and cover and flushing enemies with a variety of enemy and weapon types and various set piece sequences. You know, all the accouterments that confer depth to a game with a core gameplay loop.

I own Gears, it's not deep man...lol.

It looks like it may have similar appeal as Beyond Two Souls. Looks great, but lacking much in-depth gameplay. Game Informer played it for two hours and were able to play stretches of the game with one hand. Some will probably love it, others will think it's average at best.

Comparing the fight mechanics of Ryse to Beyond Two Souls is quite laughable. The latter probably has 3 moves in total for sword fighting...lol. Anyway I could play SC, SF, MK on easy mode with one hand as well doesn't mean the fight mechanics of those games aren't deep.

Easy mode with full upgrades and he is complaining that game easy.
Crysis 2 was also easy on easy, but tell that about post human.

--
Heck, even Shadow Warrior has casual mode, but on Insane is the hardest game i've played this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'd read through it you'd see that he indeed played it for two hours

I read that. I Just didn't believe him.

I'm not advocating for the game other than to say he reviewed it without details. It was a total complaint article. I myself have played plenty of titles for hours and came away unimpressed, but I sure had a hell of a lot more to say than this guy did.

For example I thought uncharted 2 was utterly brilliant but uncharted 3 wasn't. I finished both games an found the art, situations and character development motivating if not captivating in uncharted 2. The pacing and tone of 2 was spot on and in line with the best of the tomb raider and Indiana Jones films. Uncharted 3 graphically was neither as lush nor as environmentally consuming as 2. The play mechanics were off especially in the maze type scenes when you suffered from drug hallucinations. Etc, etc, etc...

I felt the same about GOW 3 and "4"...

Last edited by a moderator:

Thats new. Does the game have auto targetting?

Agree to that, Gears gets brutal if u don't flank properly and time ur moves.But the first one was pretty repetitive in gameplay, much improved in 2 and 3

From the combat vidoc of Ryse, it seems they have a chaining system of attacks and the replayability and depth lies in the fact that you can pull off different kindof executions depending on how you hit enemies or how amny are weakened at that point. So, I guess, if someone isn't excited about discovering different 'executions', he miht not get what the devs have worked on. Their whole 'hook' of the gameplay is based around executions, if one doesn't find them enjoyable, for some reason, then he will feel dissappointed. Maybe the reviewer was looking for attack combos and variations , like most action games, and didn't find them.

It is unclear to me how the combats are supposed to go? Is it the same as in the Batman series?

The game looks great I am sure it will sell a bunch but there is that weird uncanny valley thing with the attacks and finishing moves. It's worse now that you can see the results of limb being chopped off because you have a well rendered barbarian, after losing a leg, now has a cartoon version of a ham where his stump would be.

I understand why you would not want too much gore and blood and such but I think that they should have rethought the value of dismemberment if they aren't able to render it with the same alacrity as the rest of the character. An odd point but one that may affect other titles from both consoles. Maybe they should have thrown in a bunch of leggings or arm leathers or something to tatter and obscure some of the ham boney nature of the "clean cut" of the sword.

Back