Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Shifty... that seems an odd stance to take.

That's almost (not exactly, I understand what you said differently) like saying the movie Gladiator is morally objectionable, because it uses context in which many people were killed and glorifies it for the cause of a cheap Hollywood story.

And what about almost every theater of war that any shooter from countless games has taken place in?

Or any movie that has displayed any element of gratuitous violence in fiction, but using a setting inspired from history. Which is very many movies. And many pieces of art I'm sure.

Should no movie depict a scene of drug overdose, because people IRL are killed yearly by abuse of recreational and illicit drugs or intentional suicide attempts using drugs such as Tylenol?

Surely there are many other things far more objectionable in real life to take a stand on rather than this, just my 2 cents. Not trying to make you agree, I just felt I had to respond.

I appreciate your open opinion, but I am just having much difficulty accepting the premise of the problem... at which point the videogame has some element of being morally ambiguous or corrupted because of its setting... I just don't see it.

If there was some element of speaking against the presence of violence in games or the entertainment medium as a whole, I would be more inclined to agree with you, but even then there is little to your concern I can see present other than a shock value.

There are too many peculiar and even more morally objectionable implications to having a knee jerk reaction to such a benign element of a video game. Of all the things to pick a battle on, pun intended.
That was a nice read. I couldn't explain it better, if possible.

I actually hate the concept of this. The combat this is based on was real, people being killed and tortured for entertainment. Even though this is fictional representation, I can't disassociate from what really happened. Every cut and slice and kill and burn is matched with a real cut, slice, kill and burn that really happened - it's almost like a window on the events of 2000 years ago. Which was such a sick abomination, I don't really want to watch it.

This crosses the threshold for me. It's not like a war game with shooting being a mechanic and screams being a funny recording by a voice actor, and a clear moral (if questionable) basis in the combat. Nor like Assassin's Creed where a casual murder of a soldier is an extreme slapstick. This is in the realm of torture simulators, reenacting the worst of human behaviour for kicks.

The combat for the story I can understand and have no problem with, but the MP gladiator combat is in bad taste IMO.
History is ugly. That is, every group of people have been oppressed at one point or another. And when you think of it, every Halloween costume is based off some oppressed group or another.

I am surprised you find that perturbing and unsettling.

A few months ago I watched an entire documentary about gladiators in the Roman era and not everything seemed that bad, some of them were considered heroes, national heroes even. In other cases they were examining their corpses to find out why they died though.

I saw a little girl dressed as a fairy for Halloween. What oppressed group is she representing? How about the little boy I saw dressed as a baseball player? Lol.

I'm not even sure why you guys are arguing with him. If it doesn't sit well with him, then that's just the way it is. It's not like he's telling you that you can't play it, or that it should be banned.

But yeah, the Colosseum not that bad? Ha ha ha. People captured into slavery being forced to fight lions or other men to the death. Could be worse, right? Lol. Not only the mass slaughter of men, but of animals. Exploitation of the "low class" and poorest citizens, or slaves from other nations like African states. I mean, they gave them food, so it wasn't all bad.

I saw a little girl dressed as a fairy for Halloween. What oppressed group is she representing? How about the little boy I saw dressed as a baseball player? Lol.

I'm not even sure why you guys are arguing with him. If it doesn't sit well with him, then that's just the way it is. It's not like he's telling you that you can't play it, or that it should be banned.

But yeah, the Colosseum not that bad? Ha ha ha. People captured into slavery being forced to fight lions or other men to the death. Could be worse, right? Lol. Not only the mass slaughter of men, but of animals. Exploitation of the "low class" and poorest citizens, or slaves from other nations like African states. I mean, they gave them food, so it wasn't all bad.
Maybe Shifty has been just too sensitive these days? That's what I meant. I understand Shifty's point of view, from an historical point of view, the difference is... not from his emotional point of view.

I don't see this as huge of a deal as it has made to be by Shifty.
I can see that he is clearly distressed about it so that is a problem and can respect that it maybe shouldn't be done because the amount of people effected was very large.

But I'm not going to scream at the game for its multiplayer taking place in a colloseum.

As for the people you have seen using "Halloween" customes, which aren't the kind of costumes for Halloween btw... Should we discontinue other popular costumes because of the tragic history?

The Salem witches for instance? Anyone who has died from a tragic accident?

Maybe we should completely abolish costumes 'cos they are based off of people.

Bye Halloween.
It is a slippery slope.

Quite possibly the dumbest argument I've ever seen made on this forum. If someone dresses up as a ghost for Halloween, which persecuted group of people are they being insensitive to? Or if they dress as a werewolf, or a mummy, or the Frankenstein Monster ... or a spider. I can barely think of a traditional Halloween costume that would be offensive to anyone. Even dressing as a witch. Witches aren't real. THere's no such thing as magic. There have never been any real witches anything like the witches we see in cartoons, flying on brooms.

Probably best if we cap this line of discussion at whether people are or are not shocked by the game. I for one am dropping it as heading too OT if continued.

I think you guys are being too harsh on Shifty.

Its more important to recognise at the most important level it is a personal decision.

If you agreed with my post, I was both responding to Shiftys post but also acknowledging the difference and just asking for more clarification in why he was writing that.

I was not at all calling him out for it and no one else should IMO, my 2 cents.

Just like buying a console for any personally interested reason we want.

Sorry for OT.

While I'm really bummed in general by how many games have violence at the core level of their gameplay (it's really the most primitive of world interaction possible, if you ask me), and it is telling that the latest God of War actually featured repairing as a game mechanic, I do actually like this game for having a fresh setting (sort of) and some interesting ideas with the stadium/level mechanic shown earlier.

It's not much different in cinema - tonnes of pulpy graphic violence out there. Let's just hope that occasionally we get to see a big budget game that's beautiful and heart-warming.

I love that female CGI character that looks based on Tilda Swinton by the way - I really love seeing her in movies (great small part in Constantine for instance), and that character gives me a very similar powerful vibe. Intrigued for the game on that alone.

But the gameplay looks little better than the gameplay in Assassin's Creed (which I think is very pointless), but with better animations and camera angles. I also really like the effect when you get hit - a slight screen white-out and timelapse that's really convincing. Perhaps though for some it's more like Batman's (which I personally still thought was pretty pointless and boring, even if it is a little more dynamic thanks to the athletics and gadgets. But perhaps some people did like that enough. Here's its clear that the variation is to come from a lot of different goals that keep popping up, and that will probably help some.

All in all so far it looks like a great CryEngine tech demo with some really impressive artists backing everything up. I'm kind of drawn to it, because I really like the art and animations, but if I imagine myself playing it ... I guess that the gameplay at least seems to give you enough time to enjoy the way it looks?

My opinion could still go either way though - shallow as I am, if something looks really great that can still go a long way.

I think you guys are being too harsh on Shifty.

Its more important to recognise at the most important level it is a personal decision.

If you agreed with my post, I was both responding to Shiftys post but also acknowledging the difference and just asking for more clarification in why he was writing that.

I was not at all calling him out for it and no one else should IMO, my 2 cents.

Just like buying a console for any personally interested reason we want.

Sorry for OT.
It wasn't my intention to be harsh on him. I am sorry if my post came across as severe or something.

I don't fully agree with him, but I understand what he means. Perhaps Shifty is like that or it is just a phase.

Anyways, let me tell you that I am very sensitive to pretty average things, like seeing videos on the TV about people falling, taking a tumble, without any consequences. I find them intentionally created to arouse your morbid curiosity, and I direct my gaze somewhere else so I don't have to look at that.

Violent videos people send you to you mobile phone are a no-no for me, and so on and so forth.

Besides that I have had a time of my life where I wanted to think like "women" -until I learnt better and it has nothing to do with your biological sex- and thought that it was the fairest line of thinking, so tried hard to dissociate myself from certain games altogether.

Again, that had nothing to do with biology -another lesson I learnt over time-. All I know is that for me, certain images are still shocking, like the final moves in Ryse and certain DR3 gifs are a bit in the gross side for me, but Shifty seems to be asking for history to be changing.

I shudder when I think at all the cruelty and brutality in human history, not only against humans, but also against animals. Sadly I've seen too much already, at least for me. Like people leaving their pets to their fate, and certain images that I can never forget.

Arwin, thanks for that Tilda Swinton comparison, it certainly made my day. Cheers

Anyone says anything bad about the fighting in the Arkham games, and I will find you and end you.

I thought it was the worst part of those two games. Some rhythm based 1 button snooze-fest of combat. I think it is ridiculous to watch 12 guys stand around Batman taking turns fighting him. I would prefer something faster and combo based.

FreeFlow it's fantastic.
Rocksteady needs to be commended for it because it did re-shape the landscape of combat systems and the fact that other games tried to emulate it it's a further proof of its validity.
Ryse combat, form what I have seen, it's way closer to FreeFlow than to God Of War combat system or H&S.

Though Ryse, like some H&S, has a poor camera system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was the worst part of those two games. Some rhythm based 1 button snooze-fest of combat. I think it is ridiculous to watch 12 guys stand around Batman taking turns fighting him. I would prefer something faster and combo based.

lol no. combat in batman is anything but snoozfest. Try building up combos and you can see how hard it can get. In Arkham Origins it's very hard with the introduction of double counter enemies and mixing of varieties.

Combo based combat is what gets monotonous after a while because people use the same combo over and over again square square triangle in GOW, Inazuma Drop and Flying Swallow in Ninja Giden. Unless the combat mechanics are open ended like in DMC (not the new one) and Bayonetta people wil keep reusing the same moves because using other combos provides no actual benefit to gameplay.

No I'm not, but I won't repeat myself. If you didn't understand when I explained, I'll leave it at that
It's okay Shifty, I think I understand what you mean. It's just part of the history, and a very very ancient one.

The world -like life- has cycles. The Roman Empire lasted and almost overcame the test of time, but it fell at a certain point. Now it is the USA who "rules" the world, but maybe in 2500AC it is going to be an entirely different country.

I know now that you are pretty sensitive to those things, also ... I wonder what really happened, the chronicles of the time might have been lost over time, or the truth was distorted to some extent, or not...

The SP part of the game doesn't seem to have that issue with historical accuracy, I think.

It's okay Shifty, I think I understand what you mean. It's just part of the history, and a very very ancient one.

The world -like life- has cycles. The Roman Empire lasted and almost overcame the test of time, but it fell at a certain point. Now it is the USA who "rules" the world, but maybe in 2500AC it is going to be an entirely different country.

I know now that you are pretty sensitive to those things, also ... I wonder what really happened, the chronicles of the time might have been lost over time, or the truth was distorted to some extent, or not...

The SP part of the game doesn't seem to have that issue with historical accuracy, I think.

That era of history is very well documented. And we better hope those cycles don't see a repeat of the kind of things happening over humanities history - even up to as recently as a couple hundred years ago. I totally understand and agree with Shifty's point. What was a sick thing for the Romans to be doing back then in reality is now being repeated by us for exactly the same reasons but in a simulation. Obviously the fact that it's a simulation and not reality makes it infinitely better and I personally wouldn't mind playing it on moral grounds. However it does say something about us as modern humans that we still take the same kind of pleasure from this type of entertainment in this type of setting as our ancestors did 2000 years ago. Would we still thirst for the real thing if we couldn't simulate it? Recent and current human history is full of examples that say "yes we would".

As I say though, I'd still play it. I understand and agree with Shiftys observations but I don't seem to have his moral fortitude in this matter :smile:

Dang that looks insane. I wonder why they don't show any snow scenes?

Puts all PC games to shame...and at 900p to boot.

It does look amazing but it's also (at best) real time cut scene footage. Why would you compare that to gameplay from other platforms? Yes it looks incredible but no better than cutscene footage I've seen from Battlefield 4 for instance.

I'm still hoping for a future PC release of this anyway. Does anyone know what exclusivity deal Crytek has with MS over this game?

Oh man, I sooo look forward to the day they release their first multiplatform title. CCDD - Crytek Cognitive Dissonance Day. Lots of people will suddenly discover how cool this tech looks on the PS4. Heaven forbid, it might even run at 1080p... Until that day though, it's the usual business.

Oh man, I sooo look forward to the day they release their first multiplatform title. CCDD - Crytek Cognitive Dissonance Day. Lots of people will suddenly discover how cool this tech looks on the PS4. Heaven forbid, it might even run at 1080p... Until that day though, it's the usual business.

I am personally looking forward to seeing some Unreal Engine 4 stuff ... some people seem to think that will be better than CryEngine, but I haven't seen anything coming from Unreal Engine so far that suggest that will be true. Have I missed something?

Anyway, I don't like that you're accusing people of partisanship at the expense of CryEngine/Ryse.

PC games should be put to shame at this point - they've been using console level assets. ;)

Back