Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Well then Shifty, you won't have to post in this thread anymore. Take Delta9 with you on the way out. :)

Btw, people who play it at X1 events say the gameplay is good.

Well then Shifty, you won't have to post in this thread anymore. Take Delta9 with you on the way out.
So I'm not entitled to opinions on the graphics or story or gameplay mechanics or anything else, huh? Oh yes, I forgot, the viewpoint of some members on this board is that if one isn't posting anything but praise for any game or console, they should be silenced. :rolleyes:

I actually hate the concept of this. The combat this is based on was real, people being killed and tortured for entertainment. Even though this is fictional representation, I can't disassociate from what really happened. Every cut and slice and kill and burn is matched with a real cut, slice, kill and burn that really happened - it's almost like a window on the events of 2000 years ago. Which was such a sick abomination, I don't really want to watch it.

This crosses the threshold for me. It's not like a war game with shooting being a mechanic and screams being a funny recording by a voice actor, and a clear moral (if questionable) basis in the combat. Nor like Assassin's Creed where a casual murder of a soldier is an extreme slapstick. This is in the realm of torture simulators, reenacting the worst of human behaviour for kicks.

The combat for the story I can understand and have no problem with, but the MP gladiator combat is in bad taste IMO.
Never played a WW2 game, have you?

I actually hate the concept of this. The combat this is based on was real, people being killed and tortured for entertainment. Even though this is fictional representation, I can't disassociate from what really happened. Every cut and slice and kill and burn is matched with a real cut, slice, kill and burn that really happened - it's almost like a window on the events of 2000 years ago. Which was such a sick abomination, I don't really want to watch it.

This crosses the threshold for me. It's not like a war game with shooting being a mechanic and screams being a funny recording by a voice actor, and a clear moral (if questionable) basis in the combat. Nor like Assassin's Creed where a casual murder of a soldier is an extreme slapstick. This is in the realm of torture simulators, reenacting the worst of human behaviour for kicks.

The combat for the story I can understand and have no problem with, but the MP gladiator combat is in bad taste IMO.

I understand where you are coming from. Human nature is to treat "others" as objects and inflict pain or worse on them for pleasure. I would be offended is there was a game about being a slaver, or a game centered around the JFK assassination too.

This game does highlight the brutality that was the Roman world (and the celtic, gallic, arabian, mesopotamian and indian worlds) at the time. I myself do not have any interest in the non campaign elements of the game.

Never played a WW2 game, have you?
Did you not read my post? I said I am okay with war recreations where the combat came from a battle against an enemy in defence, even if those principals were seriously messed up. Gladiatorial combat was no such thing. It was violence and death for violence and death's sake, not for any other reason. It wasn't going to end when the war was won and everyone could go back to living peacefully - it was causing pain and carnage for amusement.

If you play a soldier in a role in a game and kill other soldiers, the background was to protect loved-ones and/or fight tyranny. It may be wrong, but it could be morally justified. If you play a gladiator in a role, there's no such moral justification. Even though the violence could be the same, the motives are radically different. And I don't play 'psycho' games as they have the same distaste. I never liked GTA because it was too close to home.

IT is not different than a God of War game (for example). The campain is about revenge.

No not really. Imagine if we had a WW2 game that had the player actively participating in gassing people. I think that's the connection Shifty feels disgusted about.

I guess it is "kill only by kill", not for a "good" reason, the same than God of War games, tere is not a good reason to kill people/things.

I guess it is "kill only by kill", not for a "good" reason, the same than God of War games, tere is not a good reason to kill people/things.

Especially not crushing a helpless and half-naked woman into a gear to keep a door open. One of the lamest moments in video-gaming history.

I personally don't see the big deal with this arena killing. You're in an arena, you kill or be killed it's as simple as that. When I play MK the fatalities are fun and you get bonus points for pulling them off. For me it has nothing to do with the pleasure of torturing. I could see where parents don't want their kids to play this game but that goes for all violent games in general.

I personally don't see the big deal with this arena killing. You're in an arena, you kill or be killed it's as simple as that. When I play MK the fatalities are fun and you get bonus points for pulling them off. For me it has nothing to do with the pleasure of torturing. I could see where parents don't want their kids to play this game but that goes for all violent games in general.

Pretty much all of the games I play are morally reprehensible. It seems to be what the majority of the gaming world is going for. Some of the small arcade titles I've got have very little violence committed against other living things. Everybody has a line. I can play GTA and not think much of it. God of War 3 crossed the line for me in that one scene. Other than that, I haven't been offended by much of anything. I'm sure there are games out there that would challenge that.

Shifty... that seems an odd stance to take.

That's almost (not exactly, I understand what you said differently) like saying the movie Gladiator is morally objectionable, because it uses context in which many people were killed and glorifies it for the cause of a cheap Hollywood story.

And what about almost every theater of war that any shooter from countless games has taken place in?

Or any movie that has displayed any element of gratuitous violence in fiction, but using a setting inspired from history. Which is very many movies. And many pieces of art I'm sure.

Should no movie depict a scene of drug overdose, because people IRL are killed yearly by abuse of recreational and illicit drugs or intentional suicide attempts using drugs such as Tylenol?

Surely there are many other things far more objectionable in real life to take a stand on rather than this, just my 2 cents. Not trying to make you agree, I just felt I had to respond.

I appreciate your open opinion, but I am just having much difficulty accepting the premise of the problem... at which point the videogame has some element of being morally ambiguous or corrupted because of its setting... I just don't see it.

If there was some element of speaking against the presence of violence in games or the entertainment medium as a whole, I would be more inclined to agree with you, but even then there is little to your concern I can see present other than a shock value.

There are too many peculiar and even more morally objectionable implications to having a knee jerk reaction to such a benign element of a video game. Of all the things to pick a battle on, pun intended.

Gladatorial combat has been shown in so many action adventure films and tv shows that people think of it almost as fantasy. They had crazy weapons, and guys fighting and lions with spears, which seems pretty exotic and exciting when removed from reality. It's obviously not meant to be a tribute to the real history. They say half a million people died in the Colosseum, probably not a lot of them willing participants. That's actually a pretty big atrocity and a real dark stain on human history. It would be kind of like making a video game set in the Old South where you fight African slaves in bare-knuckle boxing. People don't really view it that way because it happened so long ago, and has already been glamourized in just about every entertainment media. Personally, I guess I'm desensitized to it, because the game doesn't "feel" wrong to me, where a game where I beat up African slaves would probably feel profoundly wrong.

But really, if you extend the concept to military conflicts, many of them were fought largely by unwilling participants through most of history. Removing any childish and mystical notions of good vs evil, if you're playing a game set in ww2, the Napoleonic war, the us civil war, or really any war in any time in history, the reality would be that you're killing someone that really didn't want to fight, and is only there because they would have been imprisoned or executed if they hadn't picked up a weapon.

IT is not different than a God of War game (for example). The campain is about revenge.
God of War is fantasy, not something that happened for real. I have no issue with the campaign of Ryse either. It's the multiplayer in the arena, taking a real-life atrocity and turning it into a hobby that I have issues with. Different people will have different tolerances, and that's really a philosophical discussion. For me, this is akin to something like a Klu Klux Klan game where you have to victimise negros, or a "round up and gas the Jews" game. Or a Viking pillage and rape game. I can understand using violent, turbulent history as a basis for entertainments, as a context for a story or struggle, and reflecting on primitive requirements of conflict in difficult situations, but generally the line stops at making fun from the purposeless, godless violence of man.

I personally don't see the big deal with this arena killing. You're in an arena, you kill or be killed it's as simple as that. When I play MK the fatalities are fun and you get bonus points for pulling them off.
MK is high fantasy. Every time you rip a person's skeleton out, it's basically an extreme slapstick comedy act (unless you're a psycho!). It has little baring on real life events.

Shifty... that seems an odd stance to take.

That's almost (not exactly, I understand what you said differently) like saying the movie Gladiator is morally objectionable, because it uses context in which many people were killed and glorifies it for the cause of a cheap Hollywood story.
I have the similar qualms about that film. ;) But even then, people watching that film were shocked and appalled by what it showed, similar to Saving Private Ryan. Ryse's MP combat isn't presenting the heartless violence of the arena for people to reflect at its horror, but is recreating it in virtual form. The player isn't repulsed at the severing of limbs but is actively pursuing them.

And what about almost every theater of war that any shooter from countless games has taken place in?
I've explained that. The purpose behind all those other conflicts, no matter how warped, was battling an enemy. People weren't fighting in trenches for the fun of it. People weren't dropping bombs on cities as a spectator entertainment. Everyone at the time (save crazy troops) hated it. Gladiatorial combat is completely the opposite.

I appreciate your open opinion, but I am just having much difficulty accepting the premise of the problem... at which point the videogame has some element of being morally ambiguous or corrupted because of its setting... I just don't see it.
Not the setting. I have no issue with the game nor the historical context of the solo player combat, nor chopping up barbarians. It's only the violence for sport I dislike. There are plenty of other things people can make entertainment of. To take the obscenity of the Roman games and trivialise it just doesn't sit well with me, any more than the games I mention at the beginning of this post. TBH I could happily live in a world without any violent computer games, but I do understand the place of violence in many games such that I don't support the extremists anti-game lobby. I can play violent games like Borderlands and even Sniper Elite. I'm just unable to distance myself from the real and pointless suffering of the real people that experienced the Roman Games though. I also wouldn't be able to play a game recreating WWII where I'm required to drop bombs on Dresden; that really happened and people were burnt alive by it, and I'm not going to find entertainment in that. I'm am however happy to kill annoying NPCs in RPGs and I did, like everyone else, try to shoot Rico in the head in KZ2!

But really, if you extend the concept to military conflicts, many of them were fought largely by unwilling participants through most of history. Removing any childish and mystical notions of good vs evil, if you're playing a game set in ww2, the Napoleonic war, the us civil war, or really any war in any time in history, the reality would be that you're killing someone that really didn't want to fight, and is only there because they would have been imprisoned or executed if they hadn't picked up a weapon.

Very true even up to modern day drafting during war.

That is true, but my own personal filter can operate on those games (although I'd prefer that we found better things to do with our lives than make entertainments out of the worst of mankind. I tend to play high-fantasy games, even if they keep the violence). As you say, a slavery game probably wouldn't go down well. Gladiatorial combat is possibly far enough removed for most people that it's not an issue for them.

Whether it should be an issue is an RSPCA discussion! I just thought I'd make known my response to the MP of this game. It'll be interesting if anyone feels similar or I'm alone on this.

That's an interesting position to take. Any objection is fine, it's always a personal choice in the end :)

I've heard similar objections to many other media, even some that don't include any violent elements whatsoever, which have their context coming from thousands of years ago as well. So it's not as uncommon as some of us might think (we're a community that plays games... and many games are violent lol, we aren't the best sample to represent the whole world)

And yes, we definitely all tried to shoot Rico in the head in Killzone 2, that is an experience every Killzone player can share together XD

The sad thing is... he's even worse in Killzone 3. I almost stopped playing the game because of the ridiculous dialogue...

Did you not read my post? I said I am okay with war recreations where the combat came from a battle against an enemy in defence, even if those principals were seriously messed up. Gladiatorial combat was no such thing. It was violence and death for violence and death's sake, not for any other reason. It wasn't going to end when the war was won and everyone could go back to living peacefully - it was causing pain and carnage for amusement.

If you play a soldier in a role in a game and kill other soldiers, the background was to protect loved-ones and/or fight tyranny. It may be wrong, but it could be morally justified. If you play a gladiator in a role, there's no such moral justification. Even though the violence could be the same, the motives are radically different. And I don't play 'psycho' games as they have the same distaste. I never liked GTA because it was too close to home.

Weren't most gladiators slaves? They didn't fight because it was fun, they did it because they were ordered to and the only alternative was death. So it's really a fight for survival, just like the war games. Even more so I'd say.

Back