Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

I really don't feel impressed by this recent batch, then again overcast lighting is the most boring possible...

really? wow. i was NOT interested in this game whatsoever before seeing these scenes and screens.

If you look at any of the individual parts of the screenshots there is plenty to be impressed by but IMO the image as a whole is much less than the sum of its parts. Crytek has some amazing technology on display but it feels like they are more concerned about showing off that tech rather than letting an art director create a cohesive image.

If you look at any of the individual parts of the screenshots there is plenty to be impressed by but IMO the image as a whole is much less than the sum of its parts. Crytek has some amazing technology on display but it feels like they are more concerned about showing off that tech rather than letting an art director create a cohesive image.

Yep, I find it interesting that Black Tusk is using UE4 - If I were a first party I would be all over this engine and working with Crytek to make it so. I look forward to seeing other studios take this engine and create great things with it.

Crytek has some amazing technology on display but it feels like they are more concerned about showing off that tech rather than letting an art director create a cohesive image.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Across all of Crytek's games, somehow they never really fit together for me. For example, Star Citizen's first demo was a far more impressive demonstration of the engine to me.

Maybe cloud power will eventually do something about wobbly foliage animation in games. Looks nice though.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Across all of Crytek's games, somehow they never really fit together for me. For example, Star Citizen's first demo was a far more impressive demonstration of the engine to me.

Going by how long it has been now, I think they are toally oblivios to the problem. Tey have enough money to hire the best art directors but somehow they don't seem to notice whats amiss in thier games.

And , yes, I am also on the same boat that it will take some other dev with an amazing art style to make cryengine game which looks breathtaking. Wish this engine gets used a lot this gen. Wish we have atmomspheric games of the kind of Bioshock/Dead Space made with it. Although,I have seen when other devs use Cryengine, they don't personalise it enough and end up using default values for sunlight and effects making it look crysis-like.

Hope 'Everyone's gone to the Rapture' proves me wrong and lets us enjoy some true cryengine goodness. We also have Eternal Darkness coming on Cryengine. But still, yet to see something absolutely amazing that makes u get up and take notice.

I don't see what you guys are talking about with lack of art direction on crytek's part. I think the argument stands in regards to Ryse, but I believe it is as much a consequence of its convoluted development than lack artist talent. But their past games are a mixed bag. Far Cry did look a lot like a graphic's card benchmark with its overly geeky and showoffie style, but the crysis game all have a distinct personality. The original look very bland and lifeless in some ways, but that was sort of the objective with it. It wen't for a unenbelished representation of reality, and by the time it came out it was an impactful artistic choice, and one of the reasons the game wowed so many people. It did feel like a real place captured and reproduced in my computer instead of a crafted game level. Crysis 2 and 3 did a 180 and wen't for the directed hollywood sci-fi action movie style, and I think they did a great job at that, with some sumbles on 2, but mostly wins on 3. The thing does look like independence day or Godzilla or whatever other crapy hollywood movie with similar vibe you could think of.
I think ryse sure suffers for a bit of a personality crysis (oh a pun) where they are in between the Balls to the Walls fantasy representation of its material alla God of War or 300, and a historical and personal one alla Gladiator or HBO's Rome, and they fall in this inbetween position on the most unremarkable and unatractive way possible. But again, I think its just this game's development that has been too messy rather than lack of ability to come up with and follow a cohesive art direction on Crytek's part.

personally, I loved and still love Crysis 1's visuals. They went all over the place with Crysis 2 and especially 3. for me, Crysis 3 didn't know what it wanted to be visually. But, yes, in such matters, it comes down to tastes, opinions, etc, but going from the first level to around the mid and then the end, the game didn't really potray the story with its visuals. It started with a very high note on the rain drenched ship, the crytek fan in me jumped up and down, but after that as the game progressed they forgot that their fab visuals can also help carry the mood for each level.

But they did wow me to heaven even on the ps3, especially in the last level.

Like in life, I guess, we can't have everything in one product. But we sure hope we could. We can look forward to The Order 1886 for some great atmosphere(but they wouldn't have Cryengine), I guess and hope Naughty Dog makes another Last of Us perfection. A Stalker SOC doesn't happen everyday either.

oY6Wgae.jpg

Real men wear shirts OVER their chainmail ;).

personally, I loved and still love Crysis 1's visuals. They went all over the place with Crysis 2 and especially 3.

I thought Crysis 2 had a fairly consistent look. Looked like a lenseflare-tastic J. J. Abrams movie from beginning to end.
Maybe it's because I'm a dirty console peasant, but I enjoyed C2 quite a bit. It was a bit more directed than the first game, but to me the tighter pace ultimately made it far less boring than Crysis1.

I thought Crysis 2 had a fairly consistent look. Looked like a lenseflare-tastic J. J. Abrams movie from beginning to end.
Maybe it's because I'm a dirty console peasant, but I enjoyed C2 quite a bit. It was a bit more directed than the first game, but to me the tighter pace ultimately made it far less boring than Crysis1.

Me too played it on the ps3 .I got bored after a while after the full scale alien invasion. Before that the game was still fun, but after that I found myself pushing myself to play it. So, I gave up. I managed to finish Crysis 3 , though.

Back