[Rumour] PS3 games..Sony doing a little shopping?

one said:
The example of NDS seems to suggest otherwise. Or, if they launch last with an underwhelming spec (GC) what will happen?

And yet that underwhelming GC turned out the best looking game this gen (RE4).

I really think, in general, the B3D forums has too much of an emphasis on the technology over what developers are DOING with that technology. All three consoles are able to turn out some sick graphics.

This next gen there is only about 6 months between the Xbox 360 launch and the Japanese PS3 launch. Since it appears the R500 has a separate chip for the eDRAM and looks to be produced on the 90nm process it does not seem likely that the PS3 GPU will have a huge advantage. I think it will be a little more powerful (and the CELL behind it will help interactivity AND animation a lot), but I think at the GPU level it will be more tit for tat.

I am not convinced ANY of the consoles will pull away or underwhealm. I think Nintendo, Sony, and MS will all be in the same ballpark. What will be important is how developers use that power. With programmable shaders instead of fixed function GPUs I think good developers will overwhelm while low end ones will make us wonder why the game was not done this gen.

MechanizedDeath said:
As down as I may be on them, there's nothing to say Nintendo couldn't finally get their stuff together and relegate MS to a distant 3rd. Afterall, MS won't have any hw advantage anymore

I think that Sony fans really overplay the Xbox power angle. Like all hype it may have sold some of the initial units, but after that it was all the games. As much as most of you might like to believe, many casual gamers actually bought the Xbox because they liked the games. Look at the games MS put out the last 6 months: Halo 2, Forza, Jade Empire. All exclusives to the Xbox in the console sector. People are not buying Xboxes for specs, they are buying them for the games.

While the Xbox power had an influence on sales, it had no more influence than the hype Sony created for the PS2. Remember, the PS2 CPU did like 6GFLOPs (2x the Xbox) and had a fill rate and VPU memory bandwidth that dwarfed the Xbox. A lot of people bought the PS2 at launch because of the promise of good games (since the launch was weak imo) and the powerer. Yet that did not produce 80M sales. A strong steady stream of AAA titles did that.

I already posted that I think the PS3 will be the market leader... but I see MS doing a lot of moves to pull the PC and Xbox closer, they have established themselves, and worked hard to make their platform developer friendly. Weaker console or not I have not heard anything that makes me think they will do worse. MS has a tendancy to learn and do better each revision at a time. Xbox is following classic MS strategy.

As long as that strategy keeps the field competitive and offers new ways for some developers to make better games I am all for that. I dread the days of Nintendos monopoly. The fact a company disatisified with Nintendo can go to Sony or MS, or vice versa, and make a name for themselves is great. The more great companies we have making money means we all benefit.

It also keeps the forums active ;)

PCEngine - I think one was saying that Nintendo kicked DS out the door quickly - very fast hardware launch.

Ok but I'm not seeing the relevence of it. Why would Nintendo kick out Revolution before PS3 even if it could? Squeezing PS3 between Revolution and Xbox360 makes more strategic sense.

I agree Acert93,
IMHO graphically I think next generation the differences will amount to splitting hairs. It is about the games. Which would make factors like exclusives, number of games and the ability to be at a competitive price point more important than raw processing power. IMHO Microsoft’s head start will give them an advantage in at least two of these areas.

Acert93 said:
I am not convinced ANY of the consoles will pull away or underwhealm.
Nintendo is very sensitive to cost. I think it's agreed upon by all analysts (though it may change if they regret the market performance of GC)

As for the DS, it was released some weeks before PSP and sold pretty well. It has BC to GBA, and Revolution has BC to GC. Why not follow this lucky trend where Nintendo is weaker than in the portable space? Everyone points out Microsoft rushes Xbox 360, but Nintendo should be trying too. It's not only MS that wants a headstart. "But there are no Revolution devkits!" doesn't matter, since Nintendo can launch Rev with their own quality titles.

Please, return back to GAF along with all the other fanboys.

MechanizedDeath said:
PC-Engine said:
Relax buddy, nobody said MS is gonna dominate next gen. I was just pointing out that fanbois wishing Xbox360 will turn out like DC to be moronic that's all. Regardless the existing PS2 userbase is gonna have very little effect. MS will gain even more marketshare next gen you just wait and see.

I'm plenty relaxed. Considering the "successful" Xbox will only end up selling a bit more than twice what the DC did, and the PS2 will sell 10-12 times that much...well.... When you put it in perspective, Sony's whoopin that a-- handily. MS wasn't far off the DC. Neither was Nintendo. Both sold less than the N64, and that got clobbered by the PS1. Maybe MS will gain marketshare, or maybe they'll lose even more. As down as I may be on them, there's nothing to say Nintendo couldn't finally get their stuff together and relegate MS to a distant 3rd. Afterall, MS won't have any hw advantage anymore, and Nintendo still has bigger IPs than MS. I'm just sayin...that's all. :LOL: PEACE.

So what you are saying really is that you belong on GAF and not on this board where people actually know something here.

This isn't GAF, sorry it just isn't.

croc hunter2 said:
JackFrost - not sure on this one

JackFrost = Andrew Vestal

supposedly pretty well connected in the land of the rising sun. U can google him up pretty easily. Writes and has written for various gaming sites/mags

Ah, I see, thank you.

If you're correct, then I guess that helps with the credibility of this info. JackFrost is also the guy who started going on about "one true megaton", so.. ;)

edit - I did a little google re. Andrew Vestal, and it would seem he could very well indeed be well connected and have knowledge of something like this. He contributes to a bunch of sites (gamespot, 1up), translates game scripts etc. I'm very much more inclined to believe what he's saying now..it's either true, or he's having a laugh. Puts the other stuff they were talking about in a new light too..

Re: Please, return back to GAF along with all the other fanb

Proforma said:
MechanizedDeath said:
PC-Engine said:
Relax buddy, nobody said MS is gonna dominate next gen. I was just pointing out that fanbois wishing Xbox360 will turn out like DC to be moronic that's all. Regardless the existing PS2 userbase is gonna have very little effect. MS will gain even more marketshare next gen you just wait and see.

I'm plenty relaxed. Considering the "successful" Xbox will only end up selling a bit more than twice what the DC did, and the PS2 will sell 10-12 times that much...well.... When you put it in perspective, Sony's whoopin that a-- handily. MS wasn't far off the DC. Neither was Nintendo. Both sold less than the N64, and that got clobbered by the PS1. Maybe MS will gain marketshare, or maybe they'll lose even more. As down as I may be on them, there's nothing to say Nintendo couldn't finally get their stuff together and relegate MS to a distant 3rd. Afterall, MS won't have any hw advantage anymore, and Nintendo still has bigger IPs than MS. I'm just sayin...that's all. :LOL: PEACE.

So what you are saying really is that you belong on GAF and not on this board where people actually know something here.

This isn't GAF, sorry it just isn't.
Believ me,this guy posts even MORE fanboyish stuff on GAF.He is one of the trully hardcore sony fanboys.

..and since we are talking about sony,isn't that the same company that hired an English CEO to save them from bankruptcy???I don't know but with the recent ,below expecations,retail performance of the psp(both in Japan and the U.S) and with only the playstation bramd keeping sony alive,they must feel some pressure at SCEE esp. after Kutaragi was rejected from becoming the next CEO.

PC-Engine said:
Next gen MS will have their console out first while Nintendo will have theirs out last. Do the math. PS3 will be stuck between a rock and a hard place. :LOL:
Once gain I'm lost as to your point PCE :?

MS has an advantage over PS3 because they are launching before PS3, but Sony haven't the same advantage over Revolution for launching before Rev.
Nintendo have an advantage over PS3 because they are launching after PS3, but Sony haven't the same advantage over XB360 for launching after XB360.

Where do MS and Nintendo get their marketting bonus rolls from? Are those bonuses only available to console manufacturers with a Charisma score of 16 or over (+3 bonus to positional launch advantages)? Why is whats good for the goose not good for the gander?

Shifty Geezer said:
PC-Engine said:
Next gen MS will have their console out first while Nintendo will have theirs out last. Do the math. PS3 will be stuck between a rock and a hard place. :LOL:

MS has an advantage over PS3 because they are launching before PS3, but Sony haven't the same advantage over Revolution for launching before Rev.
Nintendo have an advantage over PS3 because they are launching after PS3, but Sony haven't the same advantage over XB360 for launching after XB360.

Where do MS and Nintendo get their marketting bonus rolls from? Are those bonuses only available to console manufacturers with a Charisma score of 16 or over (+3 bonus to positional launch advantages)? Why is whats good for the goose not good for the gander?

Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answer? (TM)

You're being logical, that has no place on this forum, or at least in discussions where PCENGINE is involved. I thought you'd know that by now.

I'm hoping there's more to PCE's points than just being wierd. Honestly, I'd like him to answer with a proper reply explaining his thought processes, one that doesn't either say 'you do the math' or 'go back and read' but where he actually writes his reasons to thinking something.

Most people are logical, and when you hear what sounds like illogical reasoning there's a POV you just weren't aware of. I want to understand PCE's POV as it's certainly very different from my own!

Shifty Geezer said:
PC-Engine said:

You actually kinda got. In this generation SONY had the advantage over both MS and Nintendo since both GCN and Xbox were released after PS2 and at the same time. Next gen SONY won't have this same luxury ie they'll have one advantange or the other but not both. In this sense SONY has more to lose than the other two next gen.

BTW lb, STFU would you? If you don't have a valid argument then it's better to just be quiet ok? Do you actually need to make a post just to throw rocks? It's getting really stale dude.

lb has a tendency to think a point doesn't exist or the logic doesn't make sense just because HE doesn't get it. lb doesn't realize that that in itself is flawed logic, but we forgive him. :LOL:

PC-Engine said:
lb has a tendency to think a point doesn't exist or the logic doesn't make sense just because HE doesn't get it. lb doesn't realize that that in itself is flawed logic, but we forgive him. :LOL:

Actually it's because when you post, you tend to make everything you say sound illogical, and rarely make your points explicit.

Besides, it's getting stale cause i'm just waiting for you to get banned, but that's another story.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

Actually it's because when you post, you tend to make everything you say sound illogical, and rarely make your points explicit.

Besides, it's getting stale cause i'm just waiting for you to get banned, but that's another story.

Well it's gonna be a long wait so my advice to you is to get over it. ;)

PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

Heh you say that, but unless you have worked a miracle in the last week, i'd get ready to sign up with another username. But this discussion doesn't belong here anyway.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

Heh you say that, but unless you have worked a miracle in the last week, i'd get ready to sign up with another username. But this discussion doesn't belong here anyway.

Well if you didn't always assume my posts aren't logical, you'd be better off. Take at look at Shifty's response. He didn't get my logic, but he isn't mocking it like a fool either. Didn't you ever learn that the fools are always the first to mock things because they don't understand it?

Yep it doesn't belong here, I'm glad you finally came to your senses. ;)

I request that Nirey is banned asap. I had to read his posts for a week (yes, i could survive to "that" ...), but there are limits to everything ! What he wrote page 3 is revolting me.

I am french, and i don't agree with everything in US 's foreign politics, but there are things you cannot kid with (if we are fair and suppose he was kidding).

sorry for the language, but a *+-@@@@@ like that does not have his place in a forum like B3D ....

Re: Please, return back to GAF along with all the other fanb

fulcizombie said:
..and since we are talking about sony,isn't that the same company that hired an English CEO to save them from bankruptcy???I don't know but with the recent ,below expecations,retail performance of the psp(both in Japan and the U.S) and with only the playstation bramd keeping sony alive,they must feel some pressure at SCEE esp. after Kutaragi was rejected from becoming the next CEO.

Well, just want to correct you and say - no - the CEO was not hired to save Sony from bankruptcy (and he wasn't 'hired' period, he was promoted from within); Sony is in no way shape or form facing that particular fate at the moment. He was promoted to increase profitability and lead through a possible restructuring period.

Also on the side, I agree with Oli2 - how is Nirey not banned yet?

I can see the logic in thinking that the ps3 will have a harder time launching in between the xenon and ns5 than it did launching between the dc and xbox .

Ms will def spend alot on hyping up the console and will pay alot to have a good years worth of titles before the ps3 hits the usa shelves (or 8 months or so ) and then the ns5 is right after the ps3 . So while ms this gen will have the hype to itself mostly for its launch . The ps3 will be sharing it with ns5 most likely here in the states .

How this affects the ps3 is anyones guess , but i'm sure it will be harder for sony than it was last generation

Still following the original thread...

GAF is entertaining sometimes - I had supper while browsing there when the news of PS2 RE4 broke out.

Yes, I always found it better to turn off 'load graphics' for the web browser when trying to get info from GAF.

There are actually a few threads running concurrently about some PS3 software. After running thru them, this is a summary of what I consider reliable points. Not confirmed until the day it's announced, but I consider these the most reliable after observing posts made by the sources:

#1) It's about PS3 getting games - more than one. It may bring to mind an adage 'the dog that does not bark is the one that bites'.

#2) Nintendo is 100% not involved in these 'news'.

#3) Lucasarts owns the KoTOR license. Not MS. Not Bioware. They can license it to whoever they want. Remember the Gamespy rumour article few months back about 'an easily identifiable weapon thru the head'?

#4) GTA is likely to retain the 'PS time-limited exclusivity' it has now.

#5) Something that is BIG to the hordes of GAF is going to happen - and again it's about software moving to the PS3. Considering the words and hints dropped I consider the following propositions as most likely -

#5.1) A Team Ninja license may be multi-platform for X360 and PS3. I dismiss the possibility of TN going exclusive on PS3.

#5.2) It is well known that the lead producers/directors of Bungie left. Did other members of the team leave with them? Where are they now?

I'll be sure to tune in to the entertainment of GAF when everything is revealed. Remember - disable image loading when visiting GAF.

There's quite a few people on GAF who work in the gaming industry, be it a developer, be it PR, be it press. Or just those who have very close friends who work in the gaming industry so they know stuff too. Quite a lot, you can trust me on that. GAF may have it's own ways of hype and having fun, but the news and rumors you hear there from those members are rarely unsubstantiated - and those that are unsubstantiated are usually either really obvious jokes or quickly called out as fake by people in the know.

#5.2) It is well known that the lead producers/directors of Bungie left. Did other members of the team leave with them? Where are they now?
I think it's one important guy from their team who left - Alex Seropian. I don't think he works in the gaming industry anymore. Also, the whole Bungee team is moving from one building to another, further away from where they used to be situated, but don't confuse that with anything.

Back