Rumor: Possible additions to the Xbox Backwards compatibility list. Edit: Dev Mode Required again

Yeah, it's a shame that licensing and legal constraints exist for games. If you think about it, it's a bit odd, as movies are still distributed despite being years later. They don't have to yank the release.
Yeah, from the JRPGs, I can understand Eternal Sonata might be a problem because of music from Chopin but Last Remnant and Resonance of Fate were released on the PS4 about 2 years ago. One would have assumed that the Xbox would have just relied on BC for those two games but it does not look like it.

Hopefully this is not an issue going forward, when Microsoft updated their game licensing terms years ago.
I think both Microsoft and Sony have possibly made some changes to there game licensing terms so that they won't have to worry about this in the future.

Yeah, from the JRPGs, I can understand Eternal Sonata might be a problem because of music from Chopin but Last Remnant and Resonance of Fate were released on the PS4 about 2 years ago. One would have assumed that the Xbox would have just relied on BC for those two games but it does not look like it.

I think both Microsoft and Sony have possibly made some changes to there game licensing terms so that they won't have to worry about this in the future.

There was a great GDC presentation for this years ago. They were trying to figure out why movies and music have such a long life span while games are extremely hard to buy after a few years.

I am really surprised that third party companies aren't out there with streaming services for their old titles or even going to xcloud , geforce now , stadia and so forth to continue the revenue stream. It's easier for me to buy a $15 pi zero 2 and play games through the playstation or pay $40 to get a pi 4 and play games through playstation 2 , gamecube , xbox than it is for me to legally play them.

I would sign up to a 3rd party service like netflix that costs $7 a month or something if i could play the thousands of games from the last 50 years of video games on my console or table or what not.

Both Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are showing FPS Boost now.
DOA 2 Ultimate is downloading right now
List of FSP Boost titles from this batch
  • Alan Wake
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Binary Domain
  • Black College Football Xperience: Doug Williams Ed
  • Darksiders
  • Dead Space 2
  • Dead Space 3
  • Disney's Chicken Little
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Dragon Age II
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • F.E.A.R.
  • F.E.A.R. 3
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fable III
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Far Cry 3
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War: Judgment
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Kameo: Elements of Power
  • LEGO: The Lord of the Rings
  • Medal of Honor: Airborne
  • Mirror's Edge
  • NIER
  • Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
  • Rock of Ages
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sonic Unleashed
  • STAR WARS: The Clone Wars
  • Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment

Last edited:
Tested Dead or Alive 1-4 last night and they all play great though Dead or Alive 4 did not get any enhancements. First time playing the game on an LCD and the aliasing is very noticeable but it plays great. Still kind of miffed that this is the last update. Will take me a bit to get over that.

Yeah, it's a shame that licensing and legal constraints exist for games. If you think about it, it's a bit odd, as movies are still distributed despite being years later. They don't have to yank the release. Hopefully this is not an issue going forward, when Microsoft updated their game licensing terms years ago.

Movie licensing has had to deal with issues such as syndication and re-releases due to first broadcast TV then subscription TV followed by VHS and DVD over the course of greater than a century.

Games until relatively recently had been in a sort of "release it and let it die" situation, especially on console where titles weren't generally re-releasable after a generation of consoles were over. Thus until relatively recently they never had to deal with the licensing issues that Film and TV have had to deal with for a long long time now.

Thus earlier software titles can and often are an absolute quagmire of limited licensing rights due to the limited amount of time any software titles was viable on console due to limited amount of time any given console generation was on the market. That, of course, isn't the only reason, but it's one reason early licensing rights of games never really progressed beyond the point they were at in the early days of gaming (80's and 90's) where games generally didn't see a re-release.

Digital storefronts (like Steam), backwards compatibility and now "rolling generations" have driven Publishers and developers to work on catching up with the Film industry WRT to licensing rights regarding the entirely fo a game release.

Hence, why wording for Steam (which other digital storefronts have copied or should have copied by now) have wording indicting that Valve (Steam) owns all rights to any game sold on Steam in the form of the specific versions released on Steam with respect to distributing and redistributing them to people that have purchased them in perpetuity. It has to exist to ensure that they are able to continually redistribute the game and all things in the game that were released on Steam to the people that bought those games on Steam without some outside entity (like a music artist, copyright IP holding house buying an IP, developer disagreement, etc.) removing a game from consumer libraries after they've purchased them.

Publishers are finally also following suit now that they see there is a market to re-release past games to an audience hungry to re-experience older titles.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Here is a follow-up to my previous post. I tested this out yesterday and was able to boot up both Eternal Sonata and Resonance of Fate, two games that should have been on the BC list, IMO. I did not get far in either of them, but the process is straightforward. If you still have your 360 and maybe an old SSD lying around, setting this up is easy, IMO. You can get it to work without having a 360, but I have yet to look too much into that.

The only problem I am having so far is that I cannot see where the save files are stored in retail mode.
Burying this edit: If you have a 360 it does not need to be modded like it says in the below video. I'm just going to leave it at that for now. Just saying there is a 3rd way.
Also look at how much they are charging for that Cave game from the video on Ebay. Look up Cave the Best Xbox and see the insane price they are asking for it.

Last edited:
Update: All Emulators are now banned in Retail mode. For now Dev mode the only way you will be able to play emulators. If you try to open any of them it will now say that the app violates the Microsoft store policy.

Update: All Emulators are now banned in Retail mode. For now Dev mode the only way you will be able to play emulators. If you try to open any of them it will now say that the app violates the Microsoft store policy.

I'm surprise it lasted that long.

"The information currently circulating on Twitter is not accurate," reads a statement from Microsoft. "Our actions are based on a long standing policy on content distributed to the Store to ensure alignment with our Microsoft Store Polices. Per 10.13.10, Products that emulate a game system or game platform are not allowed on any device family."

In other news, Dolphin emulator is coming soon to Steam.
May 28, 2023
The emulator is already freely available to download and install across a range of devices, but the Steam release would have provided a more convenient install path and due to its presence on the Steam Store, it likely would have also raised the popularity of the emulator.

Now as reported by PCGamer, Nintendo has issued DMCA copyright takedown notices against Valve to force them to remove the emulator from Steam. Currently, it doesn't appear that other emulators like RetroArch have been impacted.

In a post on the Dolphin website, the team confirms the DMCA and adds that the emulator's Steam release has been “indefinitely postponed” while they “investigate” their legal options. Emulators have long existed in a legal grey area, in part due to their association with piracy.

Nintendo is angry. I'm glad Ms doesn't go after emulation anywhere near as hard as they do. But then again Xbox emulation has always been very difficult

Last edited:
Nintendo is angry. I'm glad Ms doesn't go after emulation anywhere near as hard as they do. But then again Xbox emulation has always been very difficult
Microsoft likely doesn't care because unlike Nintendo they offer consumer friendly ways to play a lot of their back catalog. They also likely realize how few people are going to waste time pirating some of the older content. Nintendo on the other hand is pretty bad at handling their older catalog and likely wants to put minimum effort into it while reaping the highest profits. Another thought is that MS is focusing on making money on the xbox series consoles which aren't able to be emulated while nintendo's current console is easily emulated.

Dolphin has copyrighted keys in its source code. So for once Nintendo isn't being totally unreasonable.

Back