Rumor: Peter Moore to leave MS for EA

It's official. Don Mattrick is replacing him. I'd not heard of Don Mattrick until this moment :p

Peter Moore Resigns From Microsoft to Return to Northern California

Don Mattrick appointed to head Microsoft's Xbox and Games Business.

REDMOND, Wash., July 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Microsoft Corp. today announced that Don Mattrick, a former president at Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), will lead the Interactive Entertainment Business (IEB), which includes overseeing the Xbox(R) and Games for Windows(R) businesses. Peter Moore, who currently serves as corporate vice president of IEB, has decided to move his family back to the Bay Area for personal reasons and has secured another opportunity in the video games industry.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20000822/MSFTLOGO)

Mattrick will take over as the senior vice president of IEB at Microsoft, effective July 30. Mattrick was the founder of Distinctive Software Inc., which operated as a private company from 1982 until its merger with EA in 1991. Mattrick held various senior positions within EA, most recently as president of Worldwide Studios, until his resignation in February 2006. In February 2007, Mattrick began working with the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft as an external advisor.

"Peter has contributed enormously to the games business since joining Microsoft in 2003 and we are sad to see him go," said Robbie Bach, president of Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. "Since that time, he presided over the global launch of the Xbox 360(TM), spearheaded a revitalized and rebranded Games for Windows business, and helped steer the console's ascent."

Moore has decided to return with his family to Northern California, where they lived until he took the position at Microsoft. Moore will remain at Microsoft to assist in the transition through August and will then return to the San Francisco Bay area.

"While Peter will certainly be missed, we are delighted to have one of the industry's most talented and passionate veterans on board to lead the business," Bach said. "Don is well-known and respected throughout the industry for his deep knowledge, technical expertise and management savvy. Under Don's leadership, the games team is looking forward to embarking on our biggest holiday ever, with a wide-ranging roster of some of the most highly anticipated titles."

Mattrick brings 23 years of games industry and development experience to the strong Microsoft management team, having helped bring to life such celebrated game franchises as the "Need for Speed," "Harry Potter" and "The Sims" while at EA.

"Over the past two decades, and the past few months in particular, I've worked closely with many of Microsoft's top leaders and I've always been impressed by their talent, passion and commitment," said Mattrick. "I'm thrilled to join an already strong team that's delivering truly amazing gaming experiences to customers around the world. I've never been more excited about the future of the industry, and firmly believe Microsoft will lead the next great innovations in gaming."

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

seems so.

some can speculate the 1 billion to be lost in warranties was part of the reason.

At least he is still in game industry, and thats good.

I wonder if this will strenghten Microsoft's and EA's working relationship in terms of offering more options for live like leagues, etc..

Yeah, I kinda liked him too. He seemed quite sincere in his presentations, and well... c'mon... the tattoos. :D

It's official. Don Mattrick is replacing him. I'd not heard of Don Mattrick until this moment :p
Neither did I. No tatoos anymore.

I like him, he is one of those rare executives in this industry capable of bearing an aesthetic and intellectual resemblance to a good person. He looks like a brilliant workaholic, a real professional, and an honest and humble individual. He is also very articulate, not to mention interesting and educated.

He openly admitted the unacceptable failure rate of the console, a gesture of humbleness and uprightness which made me appreciate him even more. Whatever he does and wherever he goes I wish him good luck.

I am pretty sure MS will never give us a palpable explanation about why this has happened.

I for one will miss him. Thanks for all the hard work, you created a great hardware for its time.

In my eyes, he is the sort of person that can very easily divide the world into two halves: those that like him, and those that don't.

My very best wishes to him

Some photos in honour of Peter Moore:

CES2007500x375.jpg

Peter_Moore-thumb.jpg

428128.jpg

img_4464290c4764c.jpg

ilmdevastator.jpg

peter_moore_joy_tee.jpg

More pics in this little homage to him:

1147434446_extras_albumes_0.jpg

the_peter_moore_guarantee.jpg

moore.jpg

e3-2004-019.jpg

aaronlarge.jpg

:cry:

Thanks Peter for all your hard work and dedication

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't die people...

Honestly, he came off as a major supporter of the business side of things more than for the actual consumer a number of times to me. Maybe he was pushed around behind scenes but in the end I can't say I really care that he is gone from Microsoft. He's just one more person who built up various "ideas" and never delivered (Live Anywhere, Games for Windows, both are nothing and look to be nothing).

I Was curious why MS hired Don Matrick. I think Peter may have chose him as a replacement earlier this year.

Back