RMA'd my broke 7800GTX512, got a 8800 GTS back

N00b

Regular
RMA'd my broken 7800GTX512, got a 8800 GTS back

My 7800GTX512 broke a few weeks ago after a year or so. RMA'd it and got a 8800 GTS back. Not too bad. :cool: Anyone else here that made the same deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank! :D Actually when I bought it I figured they might not be able to replace the card with a 7800GTX512 in case it ever breaks (since they were not too many 7800GTX512 made). Didn't expect to get a G8x card, though.

What company? I'll go on a limb and say BFG possibly. When my 6800 broke they send me a 6800GS (of course, that was the 4th replacement card and after they'd treated me like shit, but....).

The 7800GTX512 was a Point of View, replacement is a Gigabyte. RMA was handled by the shop where I bought it.

My 7800GTX512 broke a few weeks ago after a year or so. RMA'd it and got a 8800 GTS back. Not too bad. :cool: Anyone else here that made the same deal?

Not the same deal, but beginning of this year a friend gave me his old FX 5950 Ultra because it died (for the second time) and he couldn't be stuffed paying again to have it sent overseas (he won it for free in a Ground Control tournament). So after about 8 months or so of it just sitting in a box, I suddenly remembered that BFG cards have lifetime warranties. So I sent the card away...

Got it back not one week later, it looked practically identical but I noticed the cooler's backplate was different. Took a harder look and realised they'd sent me back a 6800GTOC! :D The best part is that since the GT cards were identical in every respect to the Ultras besides clockspeeds, this one was in fact slightly faster than an ultra (due to it being an OC variant). Strange thing is though, it installs as a 6800XE :???: Anyone know what that is supposed to be exactly? I see it's a supported card in practically all of Nvidias driver sets, but I can't get one shred of info on it...just seems strange to call a GT an XE, BIOS even says it's a GT OC.

I'm happy nonetheless, finally have a decent enough card to let me do dualscreen gaming in at work :cool:

*edit* The awesome thing is, in another couple of years when this one dies (of natural causes or not...heh) I should be able to just send it back and hopefully get a good 7/8 series card (depending on what's out at the time and such). Pretty good to know :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple years ago, the fan on my BFG GF4 Ti4200 went out. I dropped it off at UPS Monday night, so it didn't go out until Tuesday. By Friday, I had a 5900XT in my system.

Back