Rings of Red

Perhaps a Sony forum? ;)

I'm not sure my launch unit will be around for another year, but so far so good.
lol you're always on the defensive with the X360 aren't you? At least it's always in a passive way which is what stands out to me.

Well good luck with your console. So far mine is doing good too.

No bill of sale by a real distributor = illegitimate ownership.

When I buy used stuff, I demand (and get) the bill, as well as anyone does. That's not the problem here.

[rant]
Also, people, WAKE UP! It's Microsoft we're talking about here, have you ever expected any respect for the customers (or laws, or the world as such) from them?
[/rant]

lol you're always on the defensive with the X360 aren't you? At least it's always in a passive way which is what stands out to me.

I do think MS have (had?) issues with the box, voiced this here too by the way, but stories like 'OMGWTFBBQ 100% FAILS' tend to work on my nerves. Like most 'radical' posts do by the way.

I personally know a couple of people with a 360 (including launch units) and only one of them had problems so far. He's on his 4th box. Which is as sad as it is suspicious IMHO.

Well good luck with your console. So far mine is doing good too.

Cheers and good luck back to you. :)

Perhaps a Sony forum? ;)

I'm not sure my launch unit will be around for another year, but so far so good.

Hahaha it's funny you say that, because the forum in question is a MASSIVE Xbox fanboy forum. Very few people have the PS3 on there, and it regularly cops a bollocking.

There is a huge problem with the 360's reliability, yours may still be working, but it's probably only a matter of time till it stops...

Sent mine off yesterday, at least it's not too tricky to send it off for repair, hopefully my replacement works okay - I've heard a few horror stories of people up to their 6th or 7th 360 :/

Oh and I've heard a lot of stories about 360s freezing and having all sorts of other problems, but until mine red-ringed I had NOTHING... My girlfriend said it froze once playing Viva Pinata, but apparently that game is known for a few bugs like that.

The call-centre girl I spoke to seemed quite surprised I hadn't had any freezing issues or anything, she kept asking "are you SURE you hadn't had any problems?"

If you don't know theexact numbers, but if you know the result of a subsample, you can use the binominal distribution to calculate the 95% probable failure rate.
Based on this, if some guy get 6 defective unit in row, the failure rate have to be higher than 10% by 95% chance.

Well, I believe the people on the net who've said they've had upwards of 4 boxes...

A lot of the people who've had problems with theirs on the other forum I go to are massive Microsoft supporters, they'd hardly be making things up...

Well, if I heard it right on the radio just now, the European Unionhas started a case against Microsoft on behalf of 360 owners, intending to force them to replace all consoles that cause disc scratching issues. The radio's volume was really low so I couldn't get all the details, but seems like this topic is being taken seriously.

Oh and before the topic gets derailed, yes, the European Union hates Microsoft. Let's take that at face value and concentrate on more interesting issues, ok? ;)

how much is the extended warranty again??? i am starting to get tempted to ignore this issue and jump back as i am already without home gaming for 4 months now :devilish: forza 2 decals are another temptation :mad:

Prevent the Console from Overheating

Do not block any ventilation openings on the console or power supply. Do not place the console or power supply on a bed, sofa, or other soft surface that may block ventilation openings. Do not place the console or power supply in a confined space, such as a bookcase, rack, or stereo cabinet, unless the space is well ventilated.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/console/position.htm

Prevent the Console from Overheating

Do not block any ventilation openings on the console or power supply. Do not place the console or power supply on a bed, sofa, or other soft surface that may block ventilation openings. Do not place the console or power supply in a confined space, such as a bookcase, rack, or stereo cabinet, unless the space is well ventilated.

Damn no wonder why my xbox360 smelled bad after a hardcore gaming session! :cry: ;)

holy crap... that's some seriously bad luck or the worst ventilation of a system placement in human history. :LOL: :smile:

if the chance to get a bad cnsole is 10% the chance to get a customer who get 6 bad product from 7 trial is 1:10 000 000 (so it is one customer with the current 360 sales).
The above calculation mean that around you 9 people dont't have any issue, one have a serious issue.(on a big scale avarage)

(1-(binominal distribution summarised above the gaus curve, 7 trial, 6 positive result, chance:10%))

If the rate 20%, from 10 people there only 2 who get issue,but you will have 128 customer who get 6 bad console in a row.

My only one issue is i assume that the 7th trial will be the good,and I assume that the final one will be the good.

If you have 1000 part, and each part have 99,99% reliability, you will have 10 % defect rate in your final product.

This is the reason why the car industry target the 6 sigma for the suplier parts.7 from one million can gaurantee an acceptable level of customer satisfaction.(for the brake cylinders,it can be even 8 sigma:))

I'm on my third 360. My previous 2 units were brand new units. The first was a launch unit, worked fine, no problems, then one fine sunny day, within two minutes of turning it on, filled my living room with an overpowering stench and as I moved to shut the sucker down red ringed me. Lasted 9 months. The replacement was a brand new unit, not a refurb, it lasted 7 months. No problems until one fine day, it decided that it no longer wanted to function for any length of time beyond five minutes and then would freeze.

Bad luck? Mabye, not likely, I know far too many people with similar stories to mine. The hardware is junk. It isn't built to last. They low ball component suppliers and assemblers and you wind up with a system that breaks down due to normal wear and tear. Aside from reliability issues, the quality control is all over the map. My current 360 makes a high pitched whining noise after about a half hour of use. This is the last piece of hardware I buy from MS. These guys are just plain effin clueless.

The reason why some people are on their 6th or 7th 360, is that MS keeps sending them patched up refurbs that break down in a short while. The 360 easily is the worst console I"ve ever come into contact with, I would not recommend this system to anyone who values reliability and quality hardware engineering.

holy crap... that's some seriously bad luck or the worst ventilation of a system placement in human history. :LOL: :smile:

It's not bad luck, it's terrible quality control.

The weird thing is all my Xboxes (we have 3 in this house) all still work perfectly. One's from about 6 months after launch, another's about 4 years old, and another's about 3 years old. Zero problems. I don't know anyone with an Xbox that broke either.

if the chance to get a bad cnsole is 10% the chance to get a customer who get 6 bad product from 7 trial is 1:10 000 000 (so it is one customer with the current 360 sales).
These sorts of stories, assuming they're true, don't say much about the general reliability. Clearly the refurbs that Microsoft is sending out are of terrible quality with far worse than 5% failure rate and probably beyond the 10% in your example. Here, only a couple of cases where the same customer gets one bad console after another is enough to prove that the refurbs suck.

However, you can't translate this into overall reliability. Your model assumes all XB360 have the same rate of failure. Another hypothesis is that new units have a 3% failure rate and refurbs have a 20% failure rate. Then there's a 1 in 100,000 chance of a user have his/her first six XB360's burning out, so there will be plenty of horror stories in an install base of 10M. However, the total number of dissatisfied customers is still acceptable.

When using statistics never forget the assumptions of the model.

didn't want to make new thread

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/01/european-commissioner-gives-microsoft-one-week-to-respond-to-360/

Although reports of the Xbox 360 scratching discs have been floating around for a while, the story really got legs a couple months ago when a Dutch TV show called Kassa aired a segment claiming to prove that the 360 damages media. Although Microsoft promised to look into the problem, apparently that's not good enough for Meglena Kuneva, the European Commissioner for Consumer Affairs, who has given Redmond exactly one week to detail how it's handled the bad DVD drive situation in the Netherlands, how widespread the problem is in other markets, and how many complaints have been received in those markets. While the Commissioner says the European Commissions doesn't have the "competencies" to force a recall at this time, she does say that she'll be "more than happy to act" if she finds legal grounds to do so. Ouch. Better get it figured out, boys -- the clock's ticking.

really hoping microsoft lose this one :mad: i suffered from this :cry:

Yeah, some more info seems to be coming forth. Apparently, there are 2 million models in the EU that have the supposedly badly constructed dvd player.

Back