Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

If it's not too much trouble I would be super curious to hear your comments on the display quality and the quality of the integrated speakers.
Sure I'll give you a full low down by tomorrow. Tonight is setup time. Just eating with the kids now, won't be able to much around too much until after 9

Sure I'll give you a full low down by tomorrow. Tonight is setup time. Just eating with the kids now, won't be able to much around too much until after 9
The whole setup experience is incredible what a monumental improvement over the OG KS model. Wow, is all I can say. Just wow. The screen the way they control eye spacing. The lenses, the sensor, the remote etc. It's all done like perfectly. This is certainly a premium experience. Headphones fit well, provided you fitted the right on correctly. I'm sweating in there though LOL, I'm going to have to put on my contacts, screw glasses, I want the right experience.

Wow, just I finished the VR holodeck experience. The screen is great, the sound is great. Even with my cruddy 660 they were able to make it good enough for me to not throw up. I love the UI and the whole experience. I'm so tempted to just run out and buy a 980TI right now, but that fucking pascal.. FUCK ahhhhh god.. that alien demo actually gave me a bit of fear, I had to tell myself it was fake, but I was afraid. I hate aliens and one was standing at my height. The T-rex was fairly scary. Sound was really well done. Wow.. I just.. yea.

This is going to rock. Next evolution of gaming is going to arrive. And it's going to mess you up and make you jump out of your seat, pick your games wisely.

Wow, just I finished the VR holodeck experience. The screen is great, the sound is great. Even with my cruddy 660 they were able to make it good enough for me to not throw up. I love the UI and the whole experience. I'm so tempted to just run out and buy a 980TI right now, but that fucking pascal.. FUCK ahhhhh god.. that alien demo actually gave me a bit of fear, I had to tell myself it was fake, but I was afraid. I hate aliens and one was standing at my height. The T-rex was fairly scary. Sound was really well done. Wow.. I just.. yea.

This is going to rock. Next evolution of gaming is going to arrive. And it's going to mess you up and make you jump out of your seat, pick your games wisely.

I'm so happy you are having a blast with the rift. Hope I get mine later this week :) At least I was fast to order and got that 1-3 week email last week.

Awesome impressions thanks! I'm so stoked for this now. And I can't believe your getting such a great experience on a 660 - I assume ATW has a lot to do with that. It bodes incredibly well for the experience on a recommended (or better) PC.

Awesome impressions thanks! I'm so stoked for this now. And I can't believe your getting such a great experience on a 660 - I assume ATW has a lot to do with that. It bodes incredibly well for the experience on a recommended (or better) PC.
It looks like the demos scale as much as they can to run on crappy hardware. The resolution looks bleak. Lol. But Jaggies don't cause me to vomit so I can't complain!

It looks like the demos scale as much as they can to run on crappy hardware. The resolution looks bleak. Lol. But Jaggies don't cause me to vomit so I can't complain!

Auto resolution scaling already implemented by Oculus? That's extremely interesting. I assume this kind of thing needs to be implemented on a per game/engine basis though and can't automatically be done via some kind of driver layer for all software.

Auto resolution scaling already implemented by Oculus? That's extremely interesting. I assume this kind of thing needs to be implemented on a per game/engine basis though and can't automatically be done via some kind of driver layer for all software.
Definitely per game per engine. It adjusted my quality settings to "low" for me. The oculus app warns me about having a old GPU.

Just played Luckys tale. Wow. What a game changer. Playing platformers like this is quite an interesting experience. The neat thing is that the oculus sensor detects the headset extremely well, so when I move my head in closer in the game the headset will cause objects to move, and some characters will turn to talk and look at me. I see this as our next platform for gaming, it's just so much more immersive than what we have. Even without corrective lenses it wasn't terrible, I could move in closer with my headset and things would focus better like they do IRL. Lol.

Very cool. Extremely happy with the product, looking forward to oculus touch and future VR games.

p4le5Vx.jpg

I had an evil giggle when I saw Brandon's posts late last night about the FOVs. If there's going to be an internet shit storm, it may as well be a good one so you can bust out the popcorn. When the DK2 first came out and it was discovered that the FOV was lower than the DK1, people were screaming bloody murder and cybereality (Oculus's community manager guy) actually tried to spin it by saying the FOV was reduction was good thing because it improved performance. Great stuff.

Just played Luckys tale. Wow. What a game changer.

Yeah - and I was particularly surprised at how polished it is. A lot of attention to detail in the character animations, etc. Feels rock solid. The game has been in development since before DK1 launched and would have likely been designed planning for release according to Oculus's original consumer launch time table, so they've basically had an extra year or two of time for polish and reworking the content. When you consider that almost every Vive title has only had a year and a half of dev time total, the comparisons in quality aren't going to reflect very favorably.

I had an evil giggle when I saw Brandon's posts late last night about the FOVs. If there's going to be an internet shit storm, it may as well be a good one so you can bust out the popcorn. When the DK2 first came out and it was discovered that the FOV was lower than the DK1, people were screaming bloody murder and cybereality (Oculus's community manager guy) actually tried to spin it by saying the FOV was reduction was good thing because it improved performance. Great stuff.

Yeah - and I was particularly surprised at how polished it is. A lot of attention to detail in the character animations, etc. Feels rock solid. The game has been in development since before DK1 launched and would have likely been designed planning for release according to Oculus's original consumer launch time table, so they've basically had an extra year or two of time for polish and reworking the content. When you consider that almost every Vive title has only had a year and a half of dev time total, the comparisons in quality aren't going to reflect very favorably.

does it (luckey) interact with you (the god/player) in lots of cases or is it just a "gimmick" in rare cases?

and have you played tearaway?

im confused. all of them displayed the exact same "curve" of the spherical world (the grey lines). But Rift CV1 have its sides covered in black to reduce FoV. Why? Can someone just remove the black tape? or its blacked-out from the SDK?

does it (luckey) interact with you (the god/player) in lots of cases or is it just a "gimmick" in rare cases?

I think where Lucky's Tale succeeds is general design, polish and the fact that 3d platformers in general seem to be relatively agreeable with VR. "Agreeable" in the sense that VR doesn't break any core control elements of the genre, that it has some added benefit of natural head motion camera control, the ability to accurately assess Z/depth which has always been a problem in 3D platformers, and the fact that everything in the game world that you're interacting with happens to occur within close proximity of your vision, which means it maximizes your stereo perception of depth. Everything you see in the world has a tangible sense of volume (which is not the case for most VR games.) I'm quite pleasantly surprised actually - only a week ago I was saying to myself that I wish Oculus had allowed us a free game voucher instead of Lucky's Tale as I had no interest in it.

I haven't seen anything yet in the game that I'd consider to be revolutionary with respect to the genre+VR though. He interacts with you in the sense that the character knows where you are, so idle animations are able to have their head and/or eyes track you. Probably the most novel thing I've seen that might have creative applications in the future for similar games is the ability to play with scale. When you play Mario64 on a TV, Mario really has no physical scale in relation to you, but in VR everything has a specific scale that's established by your stereo vision and the tracking of your head. Lucky in most of this game looks to be around ~7" tall (roughly) and perhaps 2 feet away, but there are some underground sections in the game where they reduce the world scale by about half making the character and level more toy-like. The game menus show even more reduced scale versions of the levels that make them look like miniatures. What's surprising about this is the psychological effect that a simple world scale value has on your perception of a character. In the real world people already unwittingly treat short people or wheel chair bound people differently, so imagine the difference if people were small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, or if they were 50ft tall.

So I think the most interesting application of these principles would be VR variations of games like Black & White, Populous, Civilization, SimCity/Earth/Sims, Lemmings, etc where world scale can easily be variable allowing for the UI interaction to always take place at near-field (arm's reach) depth, and incorporate motion controllers. I suppose one could take that principle and apply it to a 3D platformer as well though, but I think once the feeling out process is done with motion controllers, we're going to be thinking of a lot more interesting things than jumping around and grabbing gold coins.

and have you played tearaway?

nope

interacts with you in the sense that the character knows where you are, so idle animations are able to have their head and/or eyes track you.

Aww. I was hoping they adopted what media molecule done with tearaway.

So the gameplay, the characters (including enemy and npc) is aware of you and you can directly interact with them.

I think we're still very much in technical exploratory phase of VR development. A significant portion of dev time right now is eaten up by the basic VR integration (to a degree that we're seeing a lot of content taking the safest/quickest routes with known-good game mechanics rather than genuinely novel design.)

Wow, the CV1's FOV is really substantially smaller than even the DK2.

Back