Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Whatever 'this' is it must be for ants.

They pulled it from twitter really quick. It boils down to this. Microsoft Research tweeted a picture which said Gaming in 1976 and showed an Atari and then showed gaming in 2016 and has a hololens.

So that's not a big deal right ? But under the hololens are oculus touch controllers

We know MS are making games for Hololens. I'm sure those involved are experimenting with input. They probably found touch controllers a great combo, may well have shared their experience in a tweet, and then had it pulled by MS to not give the wrong message. They shouldn't be tweeting about their work without PR approval. So IMO nothing to see here. Even if Hololens is getting AAA games, it costs way too much to be a sane target for anything, and doesn't do VR so doesn't really belong in this discussion anyhow.

For those who are not yet clear on the async timewarp/reprojection/dropped frames this is a good read:
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-timewarp-on-oculus-rift/

Thanks that's a good article. Does anyone know what generation of GPU's support ATW? I assume it's at least Maxwell and GCN1.1 given the recommended specs. That means PS4 should also be capable of the async element. Do we know if it implements that or just goes with the more simple synchronous reprojection?

Mine is also on 29 but I'm in the US right now so I'll have to wait till I'm back home late April...

The shipping is going to be batched by region so order numbers should only be in sequence on a per country/region basis. There'll undoubtedly be some shuffling +/- a few weeks depending on where you are.

I just hate how poorly run this thing is. There has been zero communication. They promised granular shipping information 2 months ago. I'd like to know when i'm going to get hit with a $630 charge so I can tell my credit card company that its okay before hand instead of having a problem and getting bumped

Their communication has been calculated and self-serving since their first opportunity during kickstarter. When there's bad news they withhold it until they have sufficient good news to spin the conversation. The bigger the bad news, the longer the delay to accumulate enough good news.

Yeah, I got that a few minutes ago. And still no kickstarter backers outside the US have heard anything, but hey - Palmer flew a pre-order out personally to Alaska to do an awkward unboxing video, so I guess they hit their Q1 launch window. :p

Good look at the HTC Vive screen:

u30Nxzg.jpg

0m8Qfac.jpg

Xr8cnMO.jpg

Since Vive and CK1 use same screen, we can expect simmilar look from Rift with some changes caused by the different optics.

Good look at the HTC Vive screen:
Since Vive and CK1 use same screen, we can expect simmilar look from Rift with some changes caused by the different optics.

Reports seems to be saying that SDE is less apparent (pretty much invisible) on CK1 as compared with Vive.

Interesting discussion with kevin spacey. I would recommend watching the whole video. Link below starts from the point where spacey talks about vr.

Through-the-lens photos and videos never do a very great job of conveying what the HMD actually looks like. The reduced FOV from looking at the image on your monitor tends to mask the bad resolution, and the imperfect camera focus masks the subpixel separation and screen door. Videos taken through the original duct tape prototypes still look pretty good.

Yeah, I got that a few minutes ago. And still no kickstarter backers outside the US have heard anything, but hey - Palmer flew a pre-order out personally to Alaska to do an awkward unboxing video, so I guess they hit their Q1 launch window. :p
hmm, not true friend;

I'm a CDN kickstarter backer:
Scheduled Delivery:
Monday, 03/28/2016, By End of Day
Last Location:
Departed - Louisville, KY, United States, Saturday, 03/26/2016

You're the first non-US backer I've heard about. The spreadsheet up on reddit had a lot of e-mails and shipping notices from all over the world, but only the US had kickstarters having received confirmation or shipping e-mails. What province are you in.

video of the SDE on the vive.

Don't think its that bad actually , much better than cardboard on my Note 5 and much better than DK2 .

My friend has one shipping to him so I will go there on Monday and try it out

Last edited:
Back