Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

It looks stylish but 90x93 degree fov is way less than thrilling.

The Pimax Crystal has reached a closed beta status. That has inside out and fancy display tech as well. Minimum 110 degree horizontal FOV. A lot more expensive though and how well it will operate is a good question hehe.

Pimax Crystal​

DISPLAYQLED + Mini-Led Display
2880*2880 pixel per one
Brightness:200nit
Local dimming:20000:1
Colors: 100%NTSC
Delay:15ms
Refresh rate:90Hz/120Hz/(144Hz/160Hz IN TESTING MODE)
HDR
OPTICSCustomized replaceable aspheric optical lens, with 35PPD and 42PPD peak fidelity
FIELD OF VIEW35PPD:
Horizontal:125°
Diagonal:140°
42PPD:
Horizontal:110°
Diagonal:120°
INTERPUPILLARY DISTANCE (IPD)Manual IPD and Automatic IPD
Supported IPD range:58–72mm
AUDIOOriginal high-fidelity off-ear headset
3.5 mm audio jack
3 microphone jacks
WEIGHT<845g
DIMENSIONS280.10mm*108.2mm*135.90mm
CONNECTIVITYStandard Pimax custom 5M DP cable
POSITIONAL TRACKINGinside-out (Standard cover/MR cover)
outside-in (Lighthouse cover)
EYE TRACKING200 Hz with sub-degree accuracy; 1-dot calibration for foveated rendering
Battery6000mAh Replaceable battery + 120mAh inside battery supports hot swap
INSIDE CHIPSQualcomm Snapdragon XR2,PIMAX Customized PC VR Engine Dual-processor chips8+256G
VR MODEPCVR + Standalone VR

Controller​

BATTERY600mAh use type-c for charging
SYSTEM UPGRADESupport OTA upgrade
WEIGHT126G

Last edited:
Proper hands on, impressions and in Tested's video an interview with Bigscreen's CEO.

If you already have a lighthouse setup and $999, this seems like a really nice device. FOV is apparently not as restrictive as you'd think due to the quality of the image.

Does seem like pancake lenses bring their own set of visual artifacts, which won't be unique to this HMD.

Last edited:
Is this the right place to mention that I've been having an awesome time playing Dishonored through Vorpx? :D

I've got my RTX 3080 12GB completely maxed out rendering it at 2560x1920. This is Unreal Engine 3 and the anti-aliasing options of course totally suck (FXAA or MLAA) so I looked up the override for 4X SGSSAA. Oh yeah.

The Vorpx author put out a beta recently that uses a virtual monitor driver. It comes with all the funky custom resolutions built-in so you don't have to sit around adding them in the NV control panel for half an hour. And he has "DirectVR" memory hacks for correct FOV and tracking with this game, though it has a few quirks with NPC conversations and resetting if you get close to some walls for some reason.

20230222_160544_MixedReality.jpg20230222_160637_MixedReality.jpg20230211_210157_MixedReality.jpg

Last edited:
Some exciting and somewhat glitchy video captures! I just used the WMR vid cap mechanism because the OBS input plugin is OpenVR and this is using OpenXR. I suppose I could have captured the game window but eh this was easiest because voice commands.

(sometimes the video capture appears to get frames out of order)

(these views / heights are really something in VR)

Last edited:
I plugged PSVR1 into my PC today and bought iVRy. I've been curious how it compares to the Odyssey+ AMOLED and what it might look like with lots of supersampling.

I didn't look into it before, but PSVR1 apparently uses aspherical lenses. There is no god ray glow to speak of and the sweet spot issue isn't really there either. Is there a downside to these lenses? The contrast and colors are top quality. It does have obvious mura that looks like a fabric background on darker pictures, but on PC it goes completely black so you don't have the problem of dark grey speckled fabric fog as you often did on PS4. On the other hand it noticeably black smears on PC like the O+.

It can run 120Hz but the default is 90Hz with the iVRy software and I used that because it warned about possibly worse image quality at 120. It defaults to 1920x1080 but the driver can be set to 3840x2160 which gives noticeably more definition to everything. Naturally a 1920x1080 headset has a hard time with fine detail and there is a lot of aliasing but downscaling that resolution into it makes a pretty nice experience along with the contrast, colors, and lenses. It's not at Odyssey+ clarity but it's ok.

I think the overall FOV is similar to a my other headsets. Maybe a touch narrower.

Last edited:
I didn't look into it before, but PSVR1 apparently uses aspherical lenses. There is no god ray glow to speak of and the sweet spot issue isn't really there either.
I think the downsides to aspheric lenses are generally considered to be weight and cost (they are made of glass) and they don't have ridges/rings scattering the light like fresnel causing the distortion those lenses get which gives the bigger sweet spot to aspherical. The varyo aero uses them, it's surprising sony used them in the psvr1 because of the cost and i'm guessing this is why psvr2 went with fresnel. It actually makes sense now why people coming from psvr to psvr2 are struggling with the sweet spot issues.

I think the downsides to aspheric lenses are generally considered to be weight and cost (they are made of glass) and they don't have ridges/rings scattering the light like fresnel causing the distortion those lenses get which gives the bigger sweet spot to aspherical. The varyo aero uses them, it's surprising sony used them in the psvr1 because of the cost and i'm guessing this is why psvr2 went with fresnel. It actually makes sense now why people coming from psvr to psvr2 are struggling with the sweet spot issues.

Also field curvature without curved display. It made more sense for psvr1 because there wasn't as much resolutionat all to lose from.

Asking this here as I don't want to derail the PSVR2 thread but can anyone that has played a PC racing simulator like Project Cars 2/3 on a modern headset as well as GT7 on PSVR2 say how they compare?

A lot of the praise I'm hearing for GT7 sounds like fairly standard VR racing sim fare to me. i.e. greater sense of speed, greater sense of verticality, cool to be able to look around while overtaking, perfect world scale, etc....

I assume GT7 will look a bit better although I think we're well into the realms of diminishing returns in race sims so I'm not sure how big an impact that would have?

The world of reddit is packed with complaints about OLED mura so I went looking for a video. This looks like only a mild improvement over PSVR1. Odyssey+ is almost free of it.

Last edited:

The world of reddit is packed with complaints about OLED mura so I went looking for a video. This looks like only a mild improvement over PSVR1. Odyssey+ is almost free of it.

That's interesting. I assume that must be a near worst case scenario as that looks even worse that what I see in my old Rift CV2 without doing a side by side comparison.

Back