Ridge Racer 7 - 1up week long feature

Well for instance the jungle track, its just the same cobble stone texture repeated thousands of times. It just looks hastily done. I had high hopes since I do like the RR series but it seems that the graphics havent really changed much since last gen.

Anyone else's video look this much in need of contrast?

Looks great to me, but how come it seems as though the game slows a bit during close-ups of the car in the video?

Well for instance the jungle track, its just the same cobble stone texture repeated thousands of times. It just looks hastily done. I had high hopes since I do like the RR series but it seems that the graphics havent really changed much since last gen.

Anyone else's video look this much in need of contrast?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's an art direction thing.

I like the subdued look in this case (compared to Resistance:FoM). When we play the game, there will be several strikingly colorful cars on screen at once. The slightly dulled/washed out background makes it easier on the eyes to focus on the cars, without looking too fake, me thinks.

I dont know, when the game switcheds to first person view, it looks excellent, but then in third person view looks like the car is not running but floating on the road. The video quality doesnt help either.

I guess we will have to wait for tgs to see this game full action.

I think it may have been the map/level they chose for the video, the sky seemed pretty overcast, so sunlight wasnt really beaming down on things making the colors more noticeable. The screenshots we have seen suggest that there are indeed some very bright vivid colors.

It may give that floating/hovering impression in certain places mainly because they havent added tyre marks when sliding or braking suspensions seem to dont exist or are so stif the car doesnt even yawns down when curving and lack of some smoke.
The textures are quite nice, lightning is ok for a cloudy day track, contrast is suited to such conditions imo.
Personally I hope they don't let the tracks fall on static environments, theres nothing more boring than a static city environment without traffic, people walking or cheering the race and just a plane passing by somewhere is very mediocre solution in "nextgen" consoles.
The two track samples from the music in the game dont exactly fit yet on the nice electronic d'n'b/ambient-techno/deephouse (my favs).

I think in the end that exclusive preview left much to desire to much focused on the previous titles and its girl maskot. Not much was spoken and shown from the new one.
Disapoiting for a exclusive preview it was weak on info.

I dont know, when the game switcheds to first person view, it looks excellent, but then in third person view looks like the car is not running but floating on the road. The video quality doesnt help either.

I guess we will have to wait for tgs to see this game full action.
I guess that's just the traditional Ridge Racer handling.
The cars have always looked "floaty" in powerslides, I don't think it could be made to look different if they want to keep the handling and feel of the driving, which after all is the essence of RR games.
It's far from realistic, but it's what makes Ridger Racer a Ridge Racer game, and I think if it was changed too much, it would not be well received by fans and for others it would be just another racing game.
But some skidmarks would be a good addition for the feel of a car attached to the road.

http://www.playbeyond.jp/
seems to be a japanese interview with one of the makers of RR7.
one or hupfinsgack can you translate that for us? :)

*thx to Titanio for the link.
Oh nothing new! But one thing these 2 interviews with the Gundam producer and the RR7 producer share is both of them praise Blu-ray. Yes, even RR7 seems to be over the DVD size. The Gundam developer says there's absolutely no CG movie in the game.

Drool. I love fast-paced arcade action racers. Graphics look very good and I like the environments.

this looks much different in color and style compared to RR6 or is it me?

love the raw look ...
RRRRRRRRRiiiiiiiiiiiidgee RAAAAAcccccccer!!!!!

That video is very pretty, and very fast. Quite fantastic.

And reportedly, RR7 is actually 1080p. Which is pretty stunning, if true. One of the 1up guys mentioned that, apparently there's another little seminar as such with Phil Harrison after the conference, and that was revealed there.

1080p, 60fps. Who'd have thunk?

rrck9.jpg

The screens didnt do the game justice either imo, the gameplay vid on playsyde was pretty cool, very fast and a nice sense of speed, the environments although kinda static were pretty good looking. Looking forward to the online gameplay. All this is kinda making me struggle to choose between motorstorm and RR7 for November, and hell even GT:HD is in the mix for my racing game fix.

edit:
lol F1'06 as well, forgot about that one. :LOL:

The screens didnt do the game justice either imo, the gameplay vid on playsyde was pretty cool, very fast and a nice sense of speed, the environments although kinda static were pretty good looking. Looking forward to the online gameplay. All this is kinda making me struggle to choose between motorstorm and RR7 for November, and hell even GT:HD is in the mix for my racing game fix.

edit:
lol F1'06 as well, forgot about that one. :LOL:

At the moment, I think that RR7 looks like the winner from that bunch. It's just too fast, too cool and too arcadey to pass up on it. The video really made me wanna play it.

Back