Ridge Racer 6 (X360) compared to Ridge Racer 7 (PS3) -- Questions.

I used to own Ridge Racer 6 on Xbox 360 a few years ago. I've ordered another copy from GameStop, it should arrive in a little over a week. I've also just picked up a new PS3 Slim with Ridge Racer 7 (so I'm a new PS3 owner, after all this time). Have been playing a PS3 at home for the first time and RR7 for the first time ever.

I understand RR6 on 360 is 720p and RR7 on PS3 is 1080p. I assume those are both native resolutions, not upscaled or anything. What I really wanted to know about are the differences in various aspects of the graphics, namely the textures. Can someone really familar with both games give me a breakdown of both? I know the 360 has 512MB of unified GDDR3 RAM plus 10MB EDRAM whereas the PS3 has split pools of 256MB XDR and 256MB GDDR3. The 360 has the ATI Xenos/C1 GPU while the PS3 has the RSX GPU which is based on G70 or G71 (really NV47). How did this affect Namco developing the two games, and the graphics?

I do not want this to turn into a 360 vs PS3 arguement, flame or fanboy thread, but an honest technical discussion of both games. I also realise its mid 2011 now, RR6 and RR7 came out in 2005 and 2006 respectively. I know some people would rather discuss the upcoming RR Unbound for 360/PS3 and RR for PSVita (a handheld), but I'd like to keep this thread focused on RR6 and RR7, in a civil manner.

Thanks for any decent & civil responses.

I think the main memory-related difference comes in how they present the nitrous boost effect. On the Xbox you get motion blur, but on the PS3, you get that jagged torn-up Catwoman pants frame when you hit the nitrous.

I don't think either game demonstrated Namco having an early mastery of the respective architectures. Effects-wise RR6 looks on par with a PS2 game, while RR7 had just enough shaders to compare with late Xbox 1 games. Artistically, I think RR6 looks better. Even though RR7 runs at a higher resolution, the harshly contrasting pixels of the desaturated palette make it feel more jaggy-infested. And of course, it was super-disappointing that there was no rumble feedback when RR7 launched. I can't remember if it got patched in when the DS3 came out.

From the resolution thread I could see that Ridge Racer 6 (demo) runs at 1440x810, and it´s downscaled to 720P.
Probably it´s also valid to final code.

I think the main memory-related difference comes in how they present the nitrous boost effect. On the Xbox you get motion blur, but on the PS3, you get that jagged torn-up Catwoman pants frame when you hit the nitrous.

I didn't notice that, I'll have another look tonight, and then compare it with RR6 when my copy arrives.

I don't think either game demonstrated Namco having an early mastery of the respective architectures. Effects-wise RR6 looks on par with a PS2 game, while RR7 had just enough shaders to compare with late Xbox 1 games. Artistically, I think RR6 looks better. Even though RR7 runs at a higher resolution, the harshly contrasting pixels of the desaturated palette make it feel more jaggy-infested. And of course, it was super-disappointing that there was no rumble feedback when RR7 launched. I can't remember if it got patched in when the DS3 came out.

I think they both look good in different ways. RR7 looks like it's using more pixel shaders (the rocks inside the waterfall come to mind), while RR6 looks like it has more detail in the water and additional objects cut out of RR7. I really appreciate the framerate of both games.

I kinda miss the RR graphics style to be honest: clean, colorful, fast as hell and not ashamed of just looking like a silly video game. I also think RR7 (the one I played) has some really outstanding looking tracks.

I kinda miss the RR graphics style to be honest: clean, colorful, fast as hell and not ashamed of just looking like a silly video game. I also think RR7 (the one I played) has some really outstanding looking tracks.
Forza 3 looked like the logical progression of the RR aesthetics to me.

Back