Ridge Racer 7 - 1up week long feature

Angelcurio

Regular
This weeks feature on 1up´s site will be dedicated to Ridge Racer 7.

The last day of the feature (friday), they will show the first gameplay video of the game.

THis is the link to the full feature:
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3153511

Right now they have "Elements of the game" (i.e. menu screens versus actual gameplay) running in both 720p and 1080p, but a final decission has not been made yet about the final resolution of the game. Right now they are aiming for 60fps.

Edit:
Tuesday: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3153533
Wednesday: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3153534
Thursday: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3153582

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now they have the game running in both 720p and 1080p at 60fps, but a final decission has not been made yet about the final resolution of the game.

So far RR looks really nice. The online component seems also well rounded. If gameplay is good as well, this could very well be a must-have racer for PS3 folks.

Wow, the online features sound very cool.

btw I'm Onslaught a ut player. Great forum you guys got here. I've been lurking for about a year.

The actual quote [unless stated elsewhere in the article] is:

"In terms of visual fidelity, the version we played had elements of the game (i.e. menu screens versus actual gameplay) running in both 720p and 1080p, although the final details have yet to be finalized. "

Thanks for the link Angelcurio, I'll be watching the site updates.
Welcome to the forums Ons::lob::. :)

The actual quote [unless stated elsewhere in the article] is:

"In terms of visual fidelity, the version we played had elements of the game (i.e. menu screens versus actual gameplay) running in both 720p and 1080p, although the final details have yet to be finalized. "
The game runs at 1080p? or just the menu's? thats kinda a confusing quote there.

edit: sorry for double post.

Ok, now i am the one actually confused about that part. Looks like i misread it since i thought that it said game menus AND gameplay.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Original post now edited.

This game just shot to the top of my most wanted. It's just so appropriate to get a Playstation home day one and fire up Ridge Racer. I passed on Ridge 5 for the PS2 launch and only got to playing it about two years ago. HUGE mistake. Probably -with Tekken and SSX- the best launch game.

Looks like we are finally getting the successor (in terms of ambition) to the legendary R4.

To think I was torn between Motorstorm and F1 for launch day and didn't even consider RR7. I guess I was discouraged by the 360 iteration. Looks like the stepped up their game for Sony. Good show. I'm excited about this one.

Yeah I think I'm kinda torn between RR7 and Motorstorm for my racing game fix. NFS:Carbon looks like the same stuff to me, but I do like its custom car mode, but thats about it. RR7 looks to be killer online and offline. And Motorstorm just looks graphically stunning, which also could be a hit online.

Yeah I think I'm kinda torn between RR7 and Motorstorm for my racing game fix.

Heh heh, so I am not the only one. I'll still get HS first, and then *argh* we still have Lair to see before I can decide. I'll leave my second game open for now. I'm going to get 1 BR movie too.

Given that RR6 was brilliant, I'm looking forward for this sequel (more than any next-gen racer announced so far, save for Sega Rally Evo).
1up said:
they guarantee that the final game will run at a rock solid 60 frames-per-second, and based on the fact that every game in the series has done so, we have no reason to doubt RR7 will too.
Hmm... Not so sure about that at all, actually.

Given that RR6 was brilliant, I'm looking forward for this sequel (more than any next-gen racer announced so far, save for Sega Rally Evo).

Hmm... Not so sure about that at all, actually.

It´s wrong, the first one didn´t (on the PS1), they released a special edition of it along with number 3 i think it was which did to show how much they had learned about programming the PS1.

Loved the RRV on PS2 (with jaggies and all).
Truly, a RR game is part of the Playstation launch experience, along with Tekken.
Familiar, good, solid gameplay with great graphics, easy enough so you can soak in those beautifun next gen graphics, deep enough to carry on until other great games start appearing two or three months after the launch.

Edit: It seems I just invented a new word "beautifun" :)

It´s wrong, the first one didn´t (on the PS1), they released a special edition of it along with number 3 i think it was which did to show how much they had learned about programming the PS1.

Let's see. The first one did not, evidenced by the release of RR-60fps packed in with R4 years later.

RR Revolution did not, since it came out very soon after and was basicly a mission pack.

Rage Racer most certainly did not. I would pop it in and COUNT the frames for you, but take my word for it it's not 60.

R4 ran at 30. Again, the pack in extra ran at 60 with very simple graphics.

So I think they may be very wrong on that. On the other hand, the arcade games may have been 60fps. That's just RR RR2 Rave Racer and RR5. Rave and 5 where 60fps, but I'm not sure about the origional.

Namco's on drugs. Matters not. Seems like where I took 60fps for granted on the PS2 it's going to be a bit of a treat in the gen to come. I'm happy to see I'll be able to bring home a launch game that runs at full speed.

Edit: It seems I just invented a new word "beautifun" :)

New word approved.

Looks like we are finally getting the successor (in terms of ambition) to the legendary R4.
I surely hope so. RRt4 was really ahead of its time, so much so that they seemed to give half the dev team a vacation while they were supposed to be working on RRV. But I've been enjoying RR6 and RR PSP so much, I don't really miss the story and progression style of RR4, though I've always been curious of how they'd implement that sort of thing in a modern version.
It came with 4. They said they were contemplating making 4 run at 60fps, but they wanted to give the game a more modern look with the specular highlights and light trails and all that, so the 60fps RR was a sort of proof of concept test before they decided to scrap the idea. It's the legendary Namco generosity that led them to include it as a bonus with RRt4.

Ouch not looking too good honestly..That video isnt doing them favors. Video is horribly washed out looking contrast wise on the quicktime version.

Ouch not looking too good honestly..That video isnt doing them favors. Video is horribly washed out looking contrast wise on the quicktime version.

Not sure what makes you say that. It's pretty much the same stuff we have seen in the 1UP screenshots. But at a lower res and in motion. It looks pretty good to me.

Actually, I found that it really looks good and if it's really 60 fps it's even more impressive. Really nice environment, fast paced arcade gameplay, just right down my ally.

Back