RIAA has got it all wrong

Natoma said:
Turn yourself in. That's the only moral thing to do.

Actually, another moral thing to do is to get rid of your pirated stuff, and replace it with actual, bought copies.

Which is what I did. (Edit...years ago.)

You must pay for your crime. It doesn't matter if the crime happened yesterday or 30 years ago. Turn yourself in and face the law as any moral upstanding law abiding citizen should morally naturally constitutionally optimizationally should do.

You are right, in that the ultimate moral thing to do would be to turn myself in and throw myself at the mercy of the court / RIAA.

And the fact that I have not done so is an admitted failing on my part.

Again, for the 500th time now, the difference between me and you is that I recognize and admit the wrongness. You don't.

Indeed they do. You should expect a knock at your door any day now what with the spies they have patrolling all internet boards, looking for signs of any lawbreakers.

And if they come, I will cooperate with them fully. I certainly won't try and argue that "I'm right and they're wrong."

Sounds like someone is trying to make excuses for their past behavior. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Um, explain to me how again, that admitting my past mistakes are wrong is making an excuse?

And let the record show, you stated that you knew it was "wrong" and you knew it was illegal, and yet you did not care! The horror! Burn the witch! Burn him! :oops:

So,um, again...I knew it was wrong...I did it anyway...I admit this...and I'm making excuses?

This is truly a remarkable debate you have here, Natoma. Usually, you just have issues admitting you are wrong. In this case, you have issues with other people admitting they were wrong? :?

Joe DeFuria,

I have not kept up with this thread, but I have just read your last post. I might be off track, but it seems that some people have issues with the fact that you did something in the past that even as you did it, you felt it was wrong. It seems that they have a hard time with you doing wrong things (at some point in your life), and at the same time telling others that they are doing wrong things.

I don't find it hard to understand. Humans are fallible. We all do things that we feel are wrong all the time. The difference is that some strive to not do wrong things, while others don't. What I find interesting is when some people can take something that doesn't belong to them and somehow come up with a rationalization that they are doing nothing wrong.

/shrug,
Dr. Ffreeze

Tsk tsk tsk. Some people can't spot humor and good-natured ribbing even when its thrown right in their face. I guess it's true what they say. Conservative Republicans simply have no sense of humor. :LOL:

Frankly I couldn't care less one way or another that you made tape copies of your music way back in the stone age ya old fart. :p

p.s.:

Actually, another moral thing to do is to get rid of your pirated stuff, and replace it with actual, bought copies.

Have I not said that I will do such when the studios finally sell good quality songs online that won't keep me tethered to my one machine and one IPOD or delete itself if I cancel my subscription to said service? You got a grace period for getting rid of your pirated stuff and paying for it. Shouldn't I? :)

[EDIT]Just checked again. iTunes comes the closest to this fyi. All they need to do is offer 320K music and I'm sold. Same with Buymusic and listen.com I believe. [/EDIT]

Natoma said:
You got a grace period for getting rid of your pirated stuff and paying for it. Shouldn't I? :)

Sigh.

For the 501st time now.

The difference is, I know that it's wrong. You don't. Understand? All during my "grace period" as you call it, I knew I was wrong. I felt guilty.

You don't.

And you're upset about that? :LOL:

I know it's illegal. I disagree that it's wrong. There are MANY things that have been illegal that I disagreed as being wrong. Notice my relationship with my bf prior to the SCR a few months ago. And jaywalking is certainly illegal but I have no predilection toward the practice at all. ;)

Natoma said:
And you're upset about that? :LOL:

I'm distrubed by it, as I've said countless times.

It's not yours, you didn't pay for it. You have actively persue getting a free copy of it. It's so black and white to me that I honestly can't fathom anyone in their right mind not seeing it as wrong.

Can I understand someone trying to argue that "Yes, it's wrong, but I think that ultimately it will be for the greater good, so I do it." Yeah, I can at least understand that kind of mentality (even though I disagree with it in this case.)

I honestly cannot understand someone thinking pirating music is not wrong.

I know it's illegal. I disagree that it's wrong.

Again...disturbing.

There are MANY things that have been illegal that I disagreed as being wrong.

Same here. This particular case is not one of those.

On the filp side, wouldn't you agree that there are MANY things that are illegal that we think are indisputably wrong as well? Like walking up to some random person and shooting him in the head?

No one is making an absolute argument that "because it's illegal, it's wrong." So you can stop the repeated attempts to try and pull the argument in that direction

I'm not the one pulling the argument in that direction Joe. And really, I'm touched that you're disturbed by my opinion on this matter. Really, I am.

/me cries a tear...

Anyways, I think we've said as much as there needs to be said on this subject. You're a thief. I'm a thief. You're feeling guilty. I'm not. You're old. You're old. :p

I'll just get off here and look for those cat3.8 drivers. Tootles. :)

Natoma said:
Anyways, I think we've said as much as there needs to be said on this subject. You're a thief. I'm a thief. You're feeling guilty. I'm not. You're old. You're old. :p

Correction. I was a thief.

thief.jpg

Natoma said:

Wow...I'm disturbed....

But only because I actually think I recognize the source of that image... :oops: The horrible remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

(Aside from that, I have no idea what your point is. :? )

There were two remakes. One in 1978, which this photo is from, and the other more recent one from 1993 I believe. :)

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:

Once a thief, always a thief. Somebody obviously hasn't seen Les Miz.

Basic said:
Btw, can anybody recommend a good ripper/mp3-compressor? My current doesn't run under XP, so I have to fire up my old PC for ripping. And since I've got some damaged files, and the compressor in my program is said to not be the best, I might redo it all again. So I rather have a good program first.
I would say Exact Audio COpy is the best ripper.
What compressor you use with it is up to you.
I have used LAME in the past.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

http://www.youthcard.kiev.ua/west/lame-3.93.1.zip

I find myself in the same position: CD's that i buy get ripped immediately, and are never used again.

Joe DeFuria said:
You are right, in that the ultimate moral thing to do would be to turn myself in and throw myself at the mercy of the court / RIAA.

And the fact that I have not done so is an admitted failing on my part.
Pesonally, I hope that they sue every last one of the millions of offenders...grandparents, little kids, and you.

Joe DeFuria said:
"Theft" is "theft." Theft is a legal definition. You object to being called a theif. The fact that you may not feel like one doesn't change the fact that you are one. If you object to being called a thief, then you should consider your actions.

dksuiko said:
Pesonally, I hope that they sue every last one of the millions of offenders...grandparents, little kids, and you.

Now, the 502nd time:

The difference is, I know that pirating music is wrong. You don't.

"Theft" is "theft." Theft is a legal definition. You object to being called a theif. The fact that you may not feel like one doesn't change the fact that you are one. If you object to being called a thief, then you should consider your actions.

Where did I object to being called a thief, or my past actions of copying stuff that I had no right to, being called theft?

dksuiko,

I obviously hit some nerve with you. Why?

Joe DeFuria said:
I obviously hit some nerve with you. Why?

(Those were copy and pasted from your responses to Natoma, btw :LOL:)

But no, you hit no nerve. I'm just pressing your holier-than-thou Captain Bullhead buttons. :)

I simply find your accusations of "Thief!" a bit overboard. I'm sure you can call every single human being a murderous, bloody thirsty, life-taking evil doer since pretty much everybody - sometime in their life, smashed a pile of ants and killed their families with a bottle of Raid. But will it ever be our equivalent of mowing down a group of people with shotguns? Doubtful. In any case, I agree with you that distributing MP3s is illegal and wrong. But when it comes to the degree of how 'wrong' it is, I won't be drawing any comparisons to walking up to a random person and shooting him in the head.

dksuiko said:
(Those were copy and pasted from your responses to Natoma, btw :LOL:)

Um, yes. I know. That is humorous because....?

But no, you hit no nerve. I'm just pressing your holier-than-thou Captain Bullhead buttons. :)

Let me know when you've started pressing.

I simply find your accusations of "Thief!" a bit overboard.

I simply find those who don't see anything wrong with pirating music as gone overboard themselves.

But will it ever be our equivalent of mowing down a group of people with shotguns? Doubtful.

Nor did I say or imply any such thing.

In any case, I agree with you that distributing MP3s is illegal and wrong.

Whew.

But when it comes to the degree of how 'wrong' it is, I won't be drawing any comparisons to walking up to a random person and shooting him in the head.

Again, who said or implied that the "degrees" to which these things are "wrong" are similar?

I would advocate the death penalty for someone who shot a random person in the head, as just punishment.

I would not advocate the same penalty for pirating music. Does that put you at ease at all? (And did I really just have to explain that to you?)

Jeeze...Natoma is talking about homosexuality laws in comparison. I didn't object to the comparison because they don't lie on the same "degree of wrongness", because that wasn't his point.

Joe DeFuria said:
I simply find those who don't see anything wrong with pirating music as gone overboard themselves.
Agreed regarding those who don't find anything wrong with music piracy. But that's one end of the extreme, the other is those who find everything wrong with it.

Joe DeFuria said:
But will it ever be our equivalent of mowing down a group of people with shotguns? Doubtful.
Nor did I say or imply any such thing.
With all the posts you've made about distributing MP3s being wrong, that's the impression I got (of course, I exaggerated a bit in my analogy). Why else would you be making so many posts about it unless you felt strongly that it was a relatively significant crime? To many people, distributing MP3s is about as bad as murdering ants. I'd guess that the majority of those who download and distribute MP3s do it knowing it's wrong, and just like when they smash ants, they feel it's a relatively insignificant crime when compared to stealing something tangible. Insignificant enough that they continue to do it. But then if you have no objections to that, then arguing that point is now moot.

My next question would then be, why all the fuss? Maybe to meet your mighty nemesis Natoma at battle, once again? :)

Joe DeFuria said:
But when it comes to the degree of how 'wrong' it is, I won't be drawing any comparisons to walking up to a random person and shooting him in the head.
Again, who said or implied that the "degrees" to which these things are "wrong" are similar?

Regarding my text in your quote, nobody did. It highlighted my view that I don't see distribution of MP3s as serious as the attention it's getting makes it out to be.

My next question would then be, why all the fuss? Maybe to meet your mighty nemesis Natoma at battle, once again? :)

:LOL:

Sometimes I wonder if Joe has the hots for me. No one else here makes so much fuss over me as he does. The closeted conservative republicans are the worst. ;)

Back