Revolution Tech Details Emerge ( Xbox1+ performance, 128 MB RAM )

jvd said:
a rv530 would be able to put up similar images compared to a xenos or rsx esp when it renders at 480p instead of 720p that is a third less pixels

Yes 480p is 1/3 third of the pixels of 720p thus the image is not comparable!

pc999 said:
It should be in a normal/480p TV.

that's true, but it should always be mentioned that situation only applies when comparisons are being made 480p vs 480p Eventhough hdtv's are not everywhere at the moment X360 games are meant to be seen on one and therefore it's 480p performance is not that important and should not be used against it. And the points made by Vysez can't be easily overlooked.

Dr Evil said:
that's true, but it should always be mentioned that situation only applies when comparisons are being made 480p vs 480p Eventhough hdtv's are not everywhere at the moment X360 games are meant to be seen on one and therefore it's 480p performance is not that important and should not be used against it. And the points made by Vysez can't be easily overlooked.

But that mean their public is very restric (or the public which can see the "true XB360 gfx") specially for a economic reason, and those how dont own a HDTV are "overcharged" (is this the expression in english?) by that, and that is the Nintendo argument for cheap yet "as powerfull as the others HW" so it is only a comparision for most people so they can made it for most people (it is a bit strange and tricky a argument only valid to some people , but intirely possible in this case, yet it is need the clarification to the person which you talk as if you know that they only own and will by next gen life you can use it at your will).BTW I also voice about a RV530 and a 2-3x Gekko and I completely agree with Vysez and even think that CPU/GP power is each time more important (BTW the edram in GC isnt only used for some buffer operations but not to store the whole buffer? at least some time).

mckmas8808 (and all of us): you can see a eg from what DeanoC said here.

jvd said:
True but the gekko has been produced for what now 4 years ? and its droped micron processes 2 or 3 times ? I would htink it can clock much higher than it currently is
You would think wrong. Chips are designed for certain frequency targets - and they won't clock significantly out of that range, regardless of the process.

Wasn't the ps1 used as the sound chip ?
Not quite. They used a dual-core version of the actual PS1 soundchip.
IOP was sometimes used to assist sound too - but that's like any other CPU - it can be used for whatever developer wants.

jvd said:
well what i'm trying to say is that if devs are just getting faster gekkos and flippers that hte micron drops alone should have let them clock much higher .

And what I'm (and Tahir and now Faf) are saying is that no, it just doesn't necessarily happen that way. Sad but true.

Once again, remember a few things, if the machine has a >1GHz CPU based on the 750 familly and 108MB of RAM (including 16MB of slow DRAM), you cannot expect a GPU that is not on par with thoses.

Hypothetically what if the final system was a 750 dual core CPU at 1.7Ghz with 1MB cache and a VMX unit per core (40Gflops) with 128MB 1T-Sram + 16MB Dram?

Sorry to bring back this blogs but I read 2 intersting things here

QUESTION: What about this cube-mapping tech that Nintendo really patented what is it and will all developers be able to use it on the Revolution?http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...;r=20&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=nintendo&s2=

ANSWER: First of all, the link you provided doesn’t say anything about cube-mapping, or is patented by Nintendo. I suppose you accidentally provided us the wrong link. Doesn’t matter, because I understand you question. I can tell you however Revolution will use a different technique to display next-generation graphics, which they haven’t officially announced yet. This technique is way more powerful compared to cube-mapping. I don’t know how it exactly works by the way, because the visuals aren’t my department as you know.

QUESTION: Are you using displacement mapping?

ANSWER: Nintendo hasn’t released any officially solution about this subject to the public, therefore I’m not allowed to confirm or deny it. I can only say it could be possible.

In fact if you do some re-search on internet and keep in mind Nintendo Revolution won’t have the exact horsepower of their competitors, but will be able to show true next-generation visuals, you basically could know already which kind of solutions combined will perform those visuals.

As I’ve said before, you could’ve known everything about Revolution right after Nintendo released both codenames Hollywood and Broadway and said it won’t have the horsepower of their competitors, but will be able to show next-generation visuals. All the solutions exist already, but were never used as efficient as Revolution will do.

ASSUMING (not saing it is) this is true anyone could a idea about what he is talking about:?:

Edit WE NEED DEV HELP

BTW Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
E3 06' is going to be very interesting. I'm clueless as to what "different" rendering technique the Revolution will use. All that money that went into ATI went somewhere....

BlueTsunami said:
E3 06' is going to be very interesting. I'm clueless as to what "different" rendering technique the Revolution will use. All that money that went into ATI went somewhere....

Maybe it'll be a TBDR, that would make it efficient and low powered.

Wasn't the Kyro 2 still passively cooled at a time when all other companies were forced to put fans on their comparable products?

Fafalada said:
Chips are designed for certain frequency targets - and they won't clock significantly out of that range, regardless of the process.
If you go from a 90nm high speed process to a 65nm high speed process you should definitely be able to reach higher clock speeds, without reorganizing the pipelines. If you go from 90nm high speed to 65nm non-high speed the clock speed improvement won't be the same.

jvd said:
True but the gekko has been produced for what now 4 years ? and its droped micron processes 2 or 3 times ? I would htink it can clock much higher than it currently is

Gekko is a very small chip from the get go, I doubt IBM needs to drop process for it.

Just been reading some of this site:

http://revolutiondevelopment.blogspot.com/

Its a blog of course, but still an interesting read (from the parts I've read so far). Its supposed to be written by a developer who is working on an exclusive Revolution game called "No End Soon".

Last edited by a moderator:
Revolutionblogspot.com said:
QUESTION: With the Revolution/TBA with the controller how much would you compare it to a mouse.

ANSWER: I think you’re asking me here what’s better, Revolution’s controller or a mouse for PC? I can be pretty short on this; Revolution’s controller. You will understand exactly what I mean as soon you’ve played it. You can be a lot more precisely with Revolution’s controller, if you compare it with a mouse. I suppose you all have read how excited the Media was when they played Revolution right? It’s just fantastic!

:oops:

Teasy said:
Just been reading some of this site:

http://revolutiondevelopment.blogspot.com/

Its a blog of course, but still an interesting read (from the parts I've read so far). Its supposed to be written by a developer who is working on an exclusive Revolution game called "No End Soon".

I forgt the link in my previus post , that is the blog.

BlueTsunami said:

If you belive you shopuld like this

ANSWER: Revolution supports the feature to have two controllers for only one character.

ANSWER: If I would speak for my department, audio, yes it is. Now if I listen to other people in my team when they talk about stuff in their department I can say the same thing, yes it is. So bottom line; yes it’s as easy to develop for as IGN, gameindustry.biz says it is.
He say 23 persons somehere else in the blog.

QUESTION: Are you using a In-house engine for the game?

ANSWER: We’re currently using a special for Revolution designed prototype engine, provided by the engineers of Nintendo, which is included in our current development kit.
That is dev suport, should be great for small companys

Online you will be able to play with at least 64 people at ones, with a possibility this number will grow as Nintendo is still working on Nintendo WiFi Connection for Revolution.

ANSWER: Short but simplistic answer: Yes, the third revolutionary is as big of a deal as the controllers were when they were announced.

If this is real Rev is each time better IMO, great news.

From the same blog:

Now I've read IGN claimed to have heart from an annonymous studio current Revolution development kits are just slightly faster/better than the xbox hardware. This is funny, because this is both true and fake.
Why you ask?

Two months ago our studio aswell was still working with a Revolution development kit that had slightly more power than the current xbox. Less than a month ago however, we've again received upgraded development kits. Now I suspect ( no I'm actually positive ) this studio talked with IGN just before Nintendo handed over new development kits. It's also posible by the way, as I'm not sure how big this annonymous studio is, hasn't received the upgraded development kits as of yet. Mostly of the time the "big" studio's receive upgraded development kits a few weeks before the small ones do, because it's not a cheap job to replace development kits every time.

The most up to date working Revolution development kit has alot more power than the previous one. I can even confirm to you the newest development kits are the first development kits that includes prototypes of both Hollywood and Broadway. The previous versions didn't have those included.

Now if you look at the current specs of both Hollywood and Broadway ( which I will not provide to you, so do not ask ), we're not talking about a slightly upgraded xbox, but pretty powerfull hardware. Revolution's power is not underpowered compared to xbox 360. I can't speak for Playstation 3, because I've no acces so any stuff involved to Playstation 3 development.

However, Xbox 360 has more power than Revolution, but Revolution isn't underpowered.

It does fit with the RevoGaming article which claimed that the first Broadway prototype had tapped out in early November. It also fits with what I was thinking myself. Doesn't mean its true of course :)

Back