Revolution Tech Details Emerge ( Xbox1+ performance, 128 MB RAM )

Teasy said:
That's just a general response sent to anyone who emails Nintendo about Revolution and Power/HDTV. It even says as much at the start of the page, I wouldn't take a cut and paste job like that as confirmation. I'm awaiting some kind of Q&A with Nintendo and hopefully whoever does it will ask some very direct questions, then we can know for sure.

Well sure it's not concrete confirmation but pretty much tacit confirmation because they could have easily said, 'the rumors are wrong' or 'the Revolution is quite a bit more powerful than what has been released'. But they didn't. So why not? Because it's true?

Fox5 said:
I think he was referring to the Gameboy camera from the black and white gameboy games. (compared to the eyetoy)

You are right.

g35er said:
Until we have graphics that are virtually indistinguishable from at least broadcast 480p TV, we're not done yet. Imagine someone walking into a room seeing you watch a basketball game and they sit down next to you and all of a sudden realize you're controlling Tim Duncan. Imagine playing a movie based game such as King Kong, but the visuals of the game are exactly like the movie.

That is completely subjective, I completely agree with Ingenu, from now we need much more GP power than gfx, even with the specs just double the VMX units and take off the Avivo/crossfire to put edram (with should be enought for 3mgs at least, but I think that is not enoght for AA or/+ HDR).

Ty said:
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/674/674611p1.htmlImo, they've pretty much confirmed the leaked rough estimates by NOT denying them whatsoever.

IMO it says nothing about this, or it says we will need to wait for better sources for (des)confirmation.

OtakingGX said:
Well, not trying to be a rumor-monger, but you might get at least part of your wish:

http://www.revogaming.net/html/modules/news/article.php?storyid=172

See their ~2 weeks news for the CPU -DualCore-
Now see at the end of that article.
(BTW see my previos post about this too ;) )

Well sure it's not concrete confirmation but pretty much tacit confirmation because they could have easily said, 'the rumors are wrong' or 'the Revolution is quite a bit more powerful than what has been released'. But they didn't. So why not? Because it's true?

You've missed the point there, this isn't a response to any rumours or anything in particular AFAICS. It looks like the same old pre written reply that everyone gets if they write an email to Nintendo with the words "Revolution, Power or HDTV" in the title or body. So no I wouldn't expect it to say anything about rumours or info that has been released lately. Hopefully we'll see some direct questions asked of Nintendo soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
You've missed the point there, this isn't a response to any rumours or anything in particular AFAICS. It looks like the same old pre written reply that everyone gets if they write an email to Nintendo with the words "Revolution, Power or HDTV" in the title or body. So no I wouldn't expect it to say anything about rumours or info that has been released lately. Hopefully we'll see some direct questions asked of Nintendo soon.

I don't think so considering IGN writes at the top of the letter:

Online reports are shedding new light on the horsepower for Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, and gamers are reacting. Fans who write Nintendo of America about Revolution's power will receive the following official response:

Which seems to imply (at least from IGN's perspective) that the two (early spec release and this letter) are related. That said, you could very well be correct, it might just be a form letter written not in response to any event in particular and this could easily be proven if you know when this letter first started going out. That is, if the letter started going out before the release of specs, then you're likely correct. If, however, the letter only started circulating after the release, then at best it's coincedental.

Ty said:
I don't think so considering IGN writes at the top of the letter:

Which seems to imply (at least from IGN's perspective) that the two (early spec release and this letter) are related. That said, you could very well be correct, it might just be a form letter written not in response to any event in particular and this could easily be proven if you know when this letter first started going out. That is, if the letter started going out before the release of specs, then you're likely correct. If, however, the letter only started circulating after the release, then at best it's coincedental.

Given that everything in the letter is just a restatement of things Nintendo has been saying since at least TGS, I'm gonna go on a limb an dsay it's not a specific response to the Current Unpleasantness.

If there is anyone interested, (meybe/probably(?) fake but it is much more inline to what we expect (and revogaming.com rumors:LOL: ), anyways it should appear more sites like that (fake or not) in the next months...

http://revolutiondevelopment.blogspot.com/2005/12/welcome.html

Thursday, December 01, 2005
Welcome

Goodevening.

After tomorow we developers are free to talk about development of Revolution. So fare we wern't allowed to do so, but we got a go from Nintendo, stating we can talk about Revolution developement in general after tomorow.

http://revolutiondevelopment.blogspot.com/2005/12/to-take-away-confusion.html

Two months ago our studio aswell was still working with a Revolution development kit that had slightly more power than the current xbox. Less than a month ago however, we've again received upgraded development kits. Now I suspect ( no I'm actually positive ) this studio talked with IGN just before Nintendo handed over new development kits.

I can even confirm to you the newest development kits are the first development kits that includes prototypes of both Hollywood and Broadway. The previous versions didn't have those included.

Revolution's power is not underpowered compared to xbox 360. I can't speak for Playstation 3, because I've no acces so any stuff involved to Playstation 3 development.

However, Xbox 360 has more power than Revolution, but Revolution isn't underpowered.

Development for Revolution is easy and cheap compared to compitors consoles.

[QUOTE If you know the specs you will become so confused, because you would think there's no posibility Revolution is able to perform visuals of the level you will see with the given specs.][/QUOTE]

Just to give another insight, do/think what ever you want, I do like more of this version;) .

I like that insight. But I question this.

If you know the specs you will become so confused, because you would think there's no posibility Revolution is able to perform visuals of the level you will see with the given specs

So is B3D so stupid that if he or Nintendo gave us the specs, we couldn't figure it's position of power?

mckmas8808 said:
So is B3D so stupid that if he or Nintendo gave us the specs, we couldn't figure it's position of power?

What that quote says to me is, yes the specs are low, but we will surprise people with the visual quality.

fearsomepirate said:
Given that everything in the letter is just a restatement of things Nintendo has been saying since at least TGS, I'm gonna go on a limb an dsay it's not a specific response to the Current Unpleasantness.

Yea, could very well be then. Of course then I don't understand why, if Nintendo has been saying this all along, any are surprised that the Revolution just might have low specs.

pc999,

Good find. It will be interesting for sure to see what we really are looking at then.

i find it hard to believe it'll only be a bit more powerful than the xbox. im sure when it's said and done, the games on it will still look amazing

AlphaWolf said:
What that quote says to me is, yes the specs are low, but we will surprise people with the visual quality.

New, Nintendo patented techniques for efficiently producing high-end visuals at lower resolutions, perhaps?

One aspect, the third revolutionary aspect of Big N's next console, is still shrouded in mystery. Most believe it will focus on how we "see" the games visuals, as we already have a new way of interacting with them control-wise.

An interesting thing to note is the Nintendo patent for viewing gameplay outside of the realm of a static camera angle (uncovered by IGN many months ago). How they plan on doing this may just be the revolution we are trying to uncover. As the name of the console implies, we may just be able to "revolve" around or within the game while playing it, meaning that how we view the game will be dependent on our physical positioning. Now this truly would be a revolution...3d interaction within 3d space.

Link:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/583/583217p1.html

What we know doesn't tell us much which is frustrating, GPU is still a mystery. Developers are guessing its a souped up Flipper. Both of the IGN articles sucked.

even IGN doesn't know what the true capabilities of the Hollywood GPU are - they are only able to talk about development-kits with faster Flippers, which are probably a long ways off from final hardware.

Back