Revolution Tech Details Emerge ( Xbox1+ performance, 128 MB RAM )

Joe DeFuria said:
I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that "more graphics" and "more physics" and "better animation" etc. are all things that people expect to increase over time.

Of course, for people who have never played a game before, just picking up a controller and interacting with a game at all is a much larger leap than going from say, a person going from PS2 to PS3....

Is any of this sinking in to those of you who refuse to see Nintendo's take on this?

Joe, Joe, Joe please! Come on man stop treating me like I'm a kid.:p

I totally understand Nintendo's view. Only small minded people don't understand it. It's like how people jump on MS for basically cutting there Xbox short and only pushing it for 4 real years. I understand why MS did that.

What I'm saying is I'm tired of people (not you, you are actually smart about this subject) saying if you want good shaders and good graphics get a PS3 or 360 but if you want innovation and different gameplay get a Revolution.

People act as if the PS3 and 360 won't be have innovative games and that no games will require you to play games differently. That's why I personally keep screaming about Eyetoy. It's ridiculas that people don't factor in what possibilities the Eyetoy can bring for the PS3.

If more people read what developers said about the Eyetoy on the PS2 they would have learned that it was the lack of true processing power that hindered what the eyetoy could bring to certain games. Now that the PS3 has that power the eyetoy will be used in ways that made the games on the PS2 look well quite antique.

First game.

Eyedentify

eyedentify-voice-recognition-game-20050516062727083.jpg

Video Link

Future Use

Rubber ducky demo with Eyetoy:
eyetoyduckies16jh.jpg

*Notice he is pouring water from one glass to the other glass using real cups. He is manipulating what's on the screen using the eyetoy in real-time using real world physics.

Video Link

mckmas8808 said:
Joe, Joe, Joe please! Come on man stop treating me like I'm a kid.:p

Well, seriously, I'm no more treating you like a kid than you saying people don't "get it" about next-gen games meaning "more graphics, animation, physics..."

...Now that the PS3 has that power the eyetoy will be used in ways that made the games on the PS2 look well quite antique.

I'm not convinced about eye-toy any more than I am about Nintendo's controller. (That is, they hold promise, but we'll have to wait and see what developers do with it.) Tech demos (pouring water) are just that...tech demos.

BTW, is it confirmed or denied that eye-toy would be standard with PS3?

Not supporting HD resolutions could be the same kind of blunder as not supporting CD-ROM, hanging on to the lucrative cartridge medium.

Sure they save money with lower-performance silicon.

Also possibly repeating Microsoft's mistake of sticking with DVD. BTW, is there any indication that the lower-capacity and inability to play back DVD has hurt GC penetration?

Penny-wise, pound foolish.

Rubber Ducky is the unofficial Sony mascot, i really like his demos.

I have a question. How much expensive could be to include a 512 MB SD card instead of internal flash memory? Giving the limited life of the memory maybe is better if the system didnt include it internally.

wco81 said:
Not supporting HD resolutions could be the same kind of blunder as not supporting CD-ROM, hanging on to the lucrative cartridge medium.

Sure they save money with lower-performance silicon.

Also possibly repeating Microsoft's mistake of sticking with DVD. BTW, is there any indication that the lower-capacity and inability to play back DVD has hurt GC penetration?

Penny-wise, pound foolish.

there were only a few games that used more than one disc on the gamecube . I think it will be the same with the x360 and rev

wco81 said:
Also possibly repeating Microsoft's mistake of sticking with DVD.

I don't see microsoft's mistake.

At the very worst, they simply chose a holiday 2005 launch as a priority over including a next-generation media format. Saying it's a mistake to launch 6-12 months before Sony did is premature. (Or do you think it was feasible to include HD-DVD or Blue-Ray drives in the console that's being sold right now?)

The only real alternative for MS would be to include some kind of proprietary higher storage medium...in other words, useful only for games and not video. That carries it's own set of risks...

Joe DeFuria said:
I'm not convinced about eye-toy any more than I am about Nintendo's controller. (That is, they hold promise, but we'll have to wait and see what developers do with it.) Tech demos (pouring water) are just that...tech demos.

BTW, is it confirmed or denied that eye-toy would be standard with PS3?

Well at least you are playing the wait and see game with both companies. Some people act as if the Nunchuck controller will be the holy grail of gaming fun, while not acknowledging what Sony can do with the Eyetoy.

But I ask myself why did Sony show to different instances of how the eyetoy can be used on the PS3? If Sony is smart they will take that "pouring water" part and turn that mechanic into a game. Of course you wouldn't just pour water all game, they could 3D boxing game where you bob-and-weave as you fight the computer while litterly standing up throwing punches. Sony just needs to put the money into it like Nintendo will do.

Why am I more excited to own this Revolution system than a 360?

Must be some youth nostalgia thing. Lately I've sure been having a lot more fun with 'Cube than The Box though. RE4 totally reenergized my console joyfulness. F-Zero GX and XG3 are pretty unique too. The Halos and KOTOR were all I really got into on Xbox really.

I don't care so much how much theretical horsepower these consoles have. Xbox is way more powerful than Cube in theory, but it definitely didn't show up much IMO. RE4 blows my mind...that's a DX7-ish console with 24mb RAM or so!

Last edited by a moderator:
jvd said:
there were only a few games that used more than one disc on the gamecube . I think it will be the same with the x360 and rev
while that's true, some GC games were quite a bit blurrier because art assets were reduced in size and/or overcopmressed so that they would only ship one one disc. that said, i don't think that storage media will be a problem if they are sticking with HD resolutions. few games this generation filled a single layer DVD, much less a dual. and for nintendo it's a 4-5x increase in storage size.

swaaye said:
I don't care so much how much theretical horsepower these consoles have. Xbox is way more powerful than Cube in theory, but it definitely didn't show up much IMO. RE4 blows my mind...that's a DX7-ish console with 24mb RAM or so!

But swaaye let's be honest. The average "Xbox only" game crushed most Gamecube and PS2 only games. The Gamecube does have its exceptions, but on average the Xbox led the pack in graphics.

mckmas8808 said:
Well at least you are playing the wait and see game with both companies. Some people act as if the Nunchuck controller will be the holy grail of gaming fun, while not acknowledging what Sony can do with the Eyetoy.

But I ask myself why did Sony show to different instances of how the eyetoy can be used on the PS3? If Sony is smart they will take that "pouring water" part and turn that mechanic into a game. Of course you wouldn't just pour water all game, they could 3D boxing game where you bob-and-weave as you fight the computer while litterly standing up throwing punches. Sony just needs to put the money into it like Nintendo will do.

the first eye toy sucked alot and ws barely used. (my little cousin has it ) So excuse me if i'm not jumping out of my seat with excitement . Sony had thier chance with the eye toy to get my hyped up . They failed to deliever. Now they have a second chance but i still remember the first and i'm not holding my breath .

Mean while nintendo is making this controller standard which will mean it will get a large amount of support. Not to mention that the stylus on the ds has greatly impressed me and gives me hope for this new controller . The leaked system specs do not

see colon said:
while that's true, some GC games were quite a bit blurrier because art assets were reduced in size and/or overcopmressed so that they would only ship one one disc. that said, i don't think that storage media will be a problem if they are sticking with HD resolutions. few games this generation filled a single layer DVD, much less a dual. and for nintendo it's a 4-5x increase in storage size.

can you name some of these games ?

I can assure you the games i've played on my system all look great and do not have blury images .

mckmas8808 said:

Yes, I like to be consistent.

But to be fair...there are in fact other people (not saying you) who think the Nintendo controller can't work because people will get "physically tired" pointing the thing...and then will presumably rave about ducking and covering or boxing with the Eye-Toy. ;)

But I ask myself why did Sony show to different instances of how the eyetoy can be used on the PS3?

Marketing?

If Sony is smart they will take that "pouring water" part and turn that mechanic into a game.

Why? Is it fun?

You seem to have this thing about tech / marketing demos....you see one from Sony and all the sudden "yeah! this is cool! It needs to be done!"

I'm all for new and different things....I just try not to let myself get hyped about it (either way). Let all these companies give it a go and the market will decide.

jvd said:
the first eye toy sucked alot and ws barely used. (my little cousin has it ) So excuse me if i'm not jumping out of my seat with excitement . Sony had thier chance with the eye toy to get my hyped up . They failed to deliever. Now they have a second chance but i still remember the first and i'm not holding my breath .

Mean while nintendo is making this controller standard which will mean it will get a large amount of support. Not to mention that the stylus on the ds has greatly impressed me and gives me hope for this new controller . The leaked system specs do not

jvd, Sony had an eyetoy when Nintendo and MS were sitting there with nothing as innovative. I could spin it and say that with Sony's experince with the eyetoy, now they will be able to muster better games for it than before. Kinda like the difference between a software developer making their 2nd generation of games on a new console.;)

At the end of the day I'm holding my breath for both Sony's eyetoy2 and Nintendo's wand. I'll be holding my breath longer for Sony only because up until today they still haven't said that the eyetoy2 will come with the system.

I only give Nintendo the edge because the wand comes with the Revolution. But if Sony decides to throw in the eyetoy2 then my thinking will probably change.

Joe DeFuria said:
Why? Is it fun?

You seem to have this thing about tech / marketing demos....you see one from Sony and all the sudden "yeah! this is cool! It needs to be done!"

I'm all for new and different things....I just try not to let myself get hyped about it (either way). Let all these companies give it a go and the market will decide.

You totally missed the point of that part of my post. It fly straight over your head like a 747 Jumbo Jet.:p

I was saying I hope they add the mechanic/gameplay that allows you to physically manipulate whats on the screen using real-world physics. When he poured the water out of the cup the water seemed to behave realistically. You could see when he accidently hit the duck with his cup, it seemed as if he was really playing in a tub.

If you can't see how you can take that example and create a game that employs the same level of realness thing I don't know what to tell you.

jvd, Sony had an eyetoy when Nintendo and MS were sitting there with nothing as innovative. I could spin it and say that with Sony's experince with the eyetoy, now they will be able to muster better games for it than before. Kinda like the difference between a software developer making their 2nd generation of games on a new console.;)

Please before sony even thought of coming into the market nintendo had the power glove , u force , activator , rob the robot , the power pad and many other things . Then they had the bongos on the gamecube.

Sony had experiance with the eyetoy . But i can spin it that well they had experiance with mini disc and yet it failed twice on usa soil

At the end of the day I'm holding my breath for both Sony's eyetoy2 and Nintendo's wand. I'll be holding my breath longer for Sony only because up until today they still haven't said that the eyetoy2 will come with the system.
they are going to throw in an hd camera into that system ? How much is that going to cost them ?

mckmas8808 said:
You totally missed the point of that part of my post. It fly straight over your head like a 747 Jumbo Jet.:p

No, I didn't.

If you can't see how you can take that example and create a game that employs the same level of realness thing I don't know what to tell you.

Oddly...with so many examples that are presumably "sure fire winners" using this technology...a demo wasn't created using those.

It was created using ducks in a bathtub and pouring water.

Using something like eye-toy or revolution's controller in a way that is fun, not just a novelty that either wears off quickly, or actually becomes a distraction from having fun is not easy.

There are far more ideas of "wouldn't it be cool if we did THIS!?" that end up in the trash heap (because they didn't turn out to be fun) than the other way around. Ask any game developer.

jvd said:
can you name some of these games ?

I can assure you the games i've played on my system all look great and do not have blury images .
seriously?
most cross platform games that are single disk have slightly blurrier textures than the other versions. the lord of the rings two towers is pretty good example. actualy most non-sports EA titles (recent need for speeds, MoH) are generaly pretty blurry on the GC compared to ps2 and xbox. and most activision titles (call of duty, tony hawk, gun, ultimate spider-man) also suffer from it.

GC games are not blurrier than others. In fact, I'm pretty sure PS2 games are usually blurrier because PS2 does not have texture compression like the GC and Xbox.

see colon said:
seriously?
most cross platform games that are single disk have slightly blurrier textures than the other versions. the lord of the rings two towers is pretty good example. actualy most non-sports EA titles (recent need for speeds, MoH) are generaly pretty blurry on the GC compared to ps2 and xbox. and most activision titles (call of duty, tony hawk, gun, ultimate spider-man) also suffer from it.

I've actually played call of duty and I don't see the problem , same with spiderman .

Actually with uspm the gamecube did a good job compared to my pc .

So yea i'm serious when I ask . Just look at re4 vs re4 on the ps2

Back