Reverend At The Pulpit threads... more?

Reverend

Banned
Would you guys like to see more?

The only reason I have posted these in the past is because I treated them as my blogs. But since I am no longer with B3D I am not comfortable with the idea of posting them anymore -- I'd be posting blogs that costs B3D.

Of course, the main attraction (if there were ever any to begin with) to you guys of such threads of mine really are the tidbits I feed you guys wrt my correspondences with a few developers (JC, Sweeney et al) -- I did that primarily to boost page views (=ad money) for B3D, not because I really care about you guys :) . Having been disassociated with this site, I really feel no compulsion to share these (it had, and would if I continue to do so, take up my time) unless I simply "feel like it" (i.e. while associated with B3D, I (and solely I, never Dave) took such things as compulsory, as one of the ways to contribute to B3D while enjoying the simple priveleges of being associated with B3D).

I'd still like to share such wide-ranging thoughts of mine (via such RATP threads) here as long as they are welcomed. But having said that I do not want to share developer tidbits too much or too often, I am not sure if they would be just a waste of space and time. Last night, while laying in bed to sleep, I had a multitude of things I'd wanted to post in another RATP (don't worry, they do not contain any "dirty laundry" -- I'd quit B3D -- stuff, unlike the infamous last time), consisting mainly about my thoughts about the state of the industry (hw and media outlets, the latter of which was prompted by that rant by The Inq yesterday), why I think B3D is just too slow to expand (this should be a valid opinion, regardless of the fact that I'd left the site... what I hope to post may not be enjoyable to read for Dave but they are, after all, just opinions/suggestions, opinions I see no harm in letting the public know... definitely not "dirty laundry") as well as some other related odds and ends. As well as explain what a few have expressed as "odd posting behaviour" by me in the recent past.

So, yes, I won't be posting developer tidbits in any measure of quantity or quality but only, possibly, in tidbits whenever I feel like it (FYI, I still correspond with various devs after leaving B3D). Yes, I will still like to post stuff about my personal life (haven't you guys been doing so regularly in this particular forum? :) ).

As time progress, I hope to be forgotten in this industry (not that "Reverend" is "remembered" now anyway, by the industry). I am atm looking to start a new business -- limousine service -- myself and this particular Internet hobby (3D) of mine will suffer a great deal. But it doesn't mean it will disappear. One day after announcing, here, I was leaving B3D, I received 2 unsolicited offers to join 2 websites (one even congratulated me for "sticking to my guns" wrt to the reasons I explained for quitting B3D... whatever that means... I hate analyzing unimportant things). I do not wish to be associated with any hw websites right now, nor for the next month or so, due to my wish for peace and quiet as well as setting up my new business.

So... any objections (esp. from Dave, since I;d be wasting his space, time and money) to my continuing my RATPs?

[edit] Damn... this probably qualifies as a RATP thread itself! But, really and seriously, I'd like to know your thoughts about this.

I'd definitely love to see more, there always seemed to be some tidbits of interesting information contained within them, and some important and intriguing talking points to boot.

To be honest, if you felt uncomfortable putting them up here and were looking for an alternate outlet for such musings, I'd be more than welcoming if you wanted to use EB for such purposes, so you're always free to throw me a PM if you're looking for a home for such thoughts/posts.

I would like to see more of your developer conversations.

It it obviously very relevant to this community.

So please contine your RATP threads or start a blog and post a link referencing new posts so we (the community) can discuss.

I knew, before I even posted this thread, basically no one here would object to my continuing to post such RATPs here (i.e. as long as the RATPs contain developer tidbits and, well, nothing else... as usual my "value" here is judged by my output that is related to 3D and not how I may "spice" things up) since a lot of you guys really are at this site not to discuss about personal stuff but because you are interested in 3D.

I posted this thread to see if enough people were vocal enough (i.e. by saying "No Rev, we do not wish to see any more of your RATPs here"... not sure if london-boy was serious or joking, can't really tell with the emoticons he used) in their displeasure at me (for my much-ballyhooed opinion/post about ATI looking at being friendly with media outlets to catch up with NVIDIA) on a personal basis. IOW, do a lot of folks here "hate" me (Dave said that he received a "torrent" of PMs -- not from ATI personnels -- asking just what I was doing by posting those words I used about ATI in that thread) because I expressed that opinion of mine about ATI?

As it is, with the way this thread has ellucidated posted responses, it is clear that the majority of folks that participate in the forums either do not care for the RATPs or they just don't know how to respond, or if they even should.

That doesn't mean I do not wish to continue to inform the public about things that developers may tell me. Example : After informing a couple of "high profile" game developers that I have dissassociated myself from B3D -- or any future media outlets I may join -- because I do not like being "barred" from or is "afraid to" post opinions on topics that may be sensitive to a particular media outlet's "owner" without my knowing that such topics can be "sensitive"), this one came back :

Tim Sweeney said:
Rev,

You gave 'em hell, and that's why your posts were so interesting. :) Hope you find a new outlet soon.

Stay in touch!

Tim

That serves as an encouragement that I should do what I really want that can't come with being associated with a media outlet that has certain "unwritten" rules about what opinions of mine that should or shouldn't posted because it may damage the site for a number of reasons (and it is important to know what those reasons really are). I took Tim's words to mean I continue to give the industry hell (on a related note, I hesitated ever so slightly about that news post I made wrt the Creative/id patent issue... and I was determined to use the word "blackmail" in that post... a word that could cause legal problems for B3D and Dave... but I am determined to express my opinion as a "senior" site staff... as long as they are looked at as nothing more than opinions).

Sure, that may mean I think of my personal opinions on a variety of matters before/above the site I am associated with... but honest opinions should not be discouraged. What is the Internet for anyway?

Sure, if I continue to post RATPs here that may contain "sensitive things", Dave may not delete them now : I am not a B3D staff, so whatever comments/opinions I express do not represent those of B3D in any manner at all... compared to another scenario if I was still a B3D staff.

I am still interested in 3D and games, although my interest in them was greatly tied in with my involvement with B3D (an interest which dwindled because I became less and less involved with B3D... there wasn't much to do... I wasn't getting hardwares to review on any basis approaching consistency, I wasn't sure if I should post stuff on the main page as news since what I regard as news-worthy seems like it may not agree with Dave with the type of stuff he consistently posts as news, I wasn't sure who -- and how many -- mods B3D Dave appointed... basically I wasn't sure about a lot of other things because I was not informed... they all add up to a feeling that I don't think I am needed at this site... and when you realise you are not needed in an organization where you were one of the oldest members you start to wonder if it is worth the time and money to continue to try and contribute to the site by consistently emailing developers for relevant information that contribute to the site's content, and therefore ad money). So I will continue to talk to developers. Talking to IHVs would be more difficult -- my experience tells me that if someone isn't associated with a media outlet, IHVs tend to completely ignore you if you contact them (unless you're an owner of one of their cards and you're contacting them for techical support!). And I will tell the public the result of my correspondences with developers via a blog. Not via RATPs at this site or at any other site, whether I am affiliated with a site or not (because I do not want to burn friendships, something that has happened between me and Dave).

What's a a good -- hassle-free, simple -- site that hosts blogs?

ninelven said:

Yep, I'd recommend Blogger too.

I have to say though, it would be a shame to see your insights 'hidden away' in a Blog, rather than as part of a site proper where it is more likely to get the attention your information usually deserves.

Please, Rev, we are not against "honest opinion" when these things are based on knowledge and understanding. The only issue has been that you didn't seek that understanding from the site beforehand.

And if you want a personal opinion: You have chosen to "leave" the site, but you don't appear to have "let go" yet. I think the quicker you do that the better it will be for all concerned.

Hey hey hey Revvy, i WAS joking!!

I really am the last one to dislike someone over NV/ATI preferences... I mean... do u guys know me?!! I'd be mad if you were wearing your shirt tucked in your jeans, not for NV/ATI stuff!!
And i don't have anything personal against you! :D

DaveBaumann said:
And if you want a personal opinion: You have chosen to "leave" the site, but you don't appear to have "let go" yet. I think the quicker you do that the better it will be for all concerned.
Right, gotcha (I guess you mean I should stop yapping about certain things I mentioned in this thread).

london-boy said:

I really am the last one to dislike someone over NV/ATI preferences... I mean... do u guys know me?!! I'd be mad if you were wearing your shirt tucked in your jeans, not for NV/ATI stuff!!

Nothing wrong with the half-tuck to show off the belt though ;)

sytaylor said:
london-boy said:

Nothing wrong with the half-tuck to show off the belt though ;)

Mostly NO
But it depends on the jeans and the top.

Why all the long-winded drama?

If you have something interresting you want to share: By all means post it. Wether it be a controversial question, opinion, rant, flamebait, good information, whatever. You're still as much a member of this forum as any other, no?

If you don't: Don't. Why then should we care who you converse with privately?

And if you do decide to share things somewhere else or start your own blog: I'm sure someone will bring it to the attention of the B3D-forums if it's a worthwile read. Just the same as it happens with any other site out there.

Reverend said:
I posted this thread to see if enough people were vocal enough (i.e. by saying "No Rev, we do not wish to see any more of your RATPs here"... not sure if london-boy was serious or joking, can't really tell with the emoticons he used) in their displeasure at me (for my much-ballyhooed opinion/post about ATI looking at being friendly with media outlets to catch up with NVIDIA) on a personal basis. IOW, do a lot of folks here "hate" me (Dave said that he received a "torrent" of PMs -- not from ATI personnels -- asking just what I was doing by posting those words I used about ATI in that thread) because I expressed that opinion of mine about ATI?
Ya know Rev, there might just be a few of us here you were looking for reactions out of with this and your "other contraversial thread" that mayhaps could tell you had ulterior motives for your posts and didn't fall for it. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Reverend said:
Ya know Rev, there might just be a few of us here you were looking for reactions out of with this and your "other contraversial thread" that mayhaps could tell you had ulterior motives for your posts and didn't fall for it. ;)

One of the aforementioned PM writers perhaps? Actually starting with thier tolerance of you and a few others of like mind it's no mystery as to why the BS of these forums has risen over the past few years and why someone like Rev would reach the point that he did.

Mike G

To be honest, did not know what to say rev. I do think you took dave's orignal first post a bit out of context. No matter, I did enjoy all of the info you brought and hope you keep at it as it was good stuff...

Back