Resistance: Fall of Man update! BIG READ , come inside!

"I've been waiting to see more of the Docu-cam shake for years and the only game with good implementation of it may be GOW which is an FPS disguised as a third-person game."

"Definitely. The best efforts on organic movement to date have been a bizarre 'clown's unicycle' bobbing motion as you run. It's not even a hard thing do, so I'm surprised it's as unnatural as it is."

There no docu-cam shake in FPSes when you run because you don't carry your head in your hand.

Your body is biomechanically engineered to keep your head as steady as possible when walking, running or whatever.

The problem comes from the lack of total movements possible within a game. Your range of motion or movements totally suck in video games, which is understandable because there is no economical way to control all the natural movement capable by a human being.

The problem comes from the lack of total movements possible within a game. Your range of motion or movements totally suck in video games, which is understandable because there is no economical way to control all the natural movement capable by a human being.

Not with a control pad NEways.. :cry:

There no docu-cam shake in FPSes when you run because you don't carry your head in your hand.

Your body is biomechanically engineered to keep your head as steady as possible when walking, running or whatever.
I personally wasn't talking Docu-cam. I'm talking about motion with a small degree of ease in/ease out. Rather than having turning operate on an on/off mode, have turning speed up and slow down towards the edge of motion. It only needs be very slight and won't affect the gameplay, but will affect the presentation. Similarly for the sniper rifle, add just a little wobble to show you're not a robot, and give the option of using steadying modes like lying down or resting the gun on something.

Actual Docu-cam shake doesn't make a huge amount of sense in a FPS because in the firtst person the eye tracks whatever you're looking at an elliminates wobble (which is why the original unicycle movements are bizarre - the world does not bob up and down as I walk!). But robotic turning doesn't make sense either, except as Arwin says, for gameplay mechanincs. I don't think what I'm suggesting would affect gameplay to any huge degree though, and it would look heaps better.

Actually that could be handled by creating a physic mechanism for handling the reticule. Even in a real life your eyes are not noticeable affected by momentum not as much as turning your gun sights which is controlled by your arms and upper body.

I personally wasn't talking Docu-cam. I'm talking about motion with a small degree of ease in/ease out. Rather than having turning operate on an on/off mode, have turning speed up and slow down towards the edge of motion. It only needs be very slight and won't affect the gameplay, but will affect the presentation. Similarly for the sniper rifle, add just a little wobble to show you're not a robot, and give the option of using steadying modes like lying down or resting the gun on something.

Actual Docu-cam shake doesn't make a huge amount of sense in a FPS because in the firtst person the eye tracks whatever you're looking at an elliminates wobble (which is why the original unicycle movements are bizarre - the world does not bob up and down as I walk!). But robotic turning doesn't make sense either, except as Arwin says, for gameplay mechanincs. I don't think what I'm suggesting would affect gameplay to any huge degree though, and it would look heaps better.

I was personally talking Docu-Cam!:devilish: ;) I guess docu-cam is a misnomer for the FPS styling that I'm looking for but it roughly encompasses what I hope to see in FPS - resistance. I want a degree of resistance to my movements and therefore the view that is attached to those movements. We may be locked in one plane when walking ( I swear I just tried it out) but the subtle bounce when going up stairs, jumping, climbing and running from objects (while viewing with a simple head turn) should count toward immersion. Implementation of this camera engine may be difficult but I don't understand why it has never been tried AFAIK. This may need another thread but I am curious as to how everyone thinks next-gen FPS can be more revolutionary and how R:FOM executes some of your hopes.

Again you don't run around with your head attached to your hand.

A camera shake wouldn't create the natural movement you seek.

The shaking of your head vs. the shaking of the screen isn't the same thing. If you shake your head your eyes can remain in a fixed position allowing you to focus on any object. If you shake the screen, your eyes or head and eyes must constantly adjust to focus on any one object.

You could put a black bar along the edges of the display and create movement with the manipulation of the bars without shaking the image.

Last edited by a moderator:
People should refrain from making such comments. First of all very few games these days are system sellers, but second of all, when they are, they are rarely a system seller to a majority of the gaming population. Particularly a launch console at this price isn't going to have a lot of people who consider one particular game a system seller.
Having said that, even though it is not the genre I typically enjoy, what I see Insomniac doing with the hardware in Resistance makes it a system seller for me even without actually buying the game.
A great example of 'to each his own.' I got Twisted Metal Black Online with my PS2 Network Adapter and I haven't touched it. ;)
Anyway, yes, Resistance is a system seller. I know some hardcore FPS gamers, and they have looked at this game and came away very impressed. There is just so much going on, so many details, and it's a huge game. It's a technical marvel, and I have a strong suspicion that it's actually going to turn out to be great to play as well.
But even if it isn't, it's probably one of the best showcase titles of the PS3's hardware. And therefore, to me, a system seller.
No I meant just what I think they should've done if they wanted to make an online game with tons of players and tons of different weapons. So far it looks like they (sony) just wanted and FPS to have at launch.
Of course Resistance is a system seller! Not necessarily because it might be a very good game (we don't know that yet), but because, as a launch title, and one that seems to be at least more interesting than most other launch titles on PS3, it is bound to be taken home with a lot of PS3 in a month time.
Heck, even the 87 EA sports titles available at launch can be called "system sellers".
Yeah that was probably pretty immature to say that it won't sell systems but I meant that it doesn't look like something the average gamer would buy a whole new system for (most switch over when sports games stop being made for the last gen).

Yeah that was probably pretty immature to say that it won't sell systems but I meant that it doesn't look like something the average gamer would buy a whole new system for (most switch over when sports games stop being made for the last gen).

I've seen plenty of average gamers say Resistence is there game of choice.

No I meant just what I think they should've done if they wanted to make an online game with tons of players and tons of different weapons. So far it looks like they (sony) just wanted and FPS to have at launch.

There is nothing to say that Resistance would be a system seller, even if it ends being the number 1 purchased PS3 game this christmas. I find it hard to believe that anyone would believe that a large number of gamers are buying the PS3 just to play Resistance rather than buying Resistance just to play the PS3. This is a case of the system selling the game not the game selling the system.

There is nothing to say that Resistance would be a system seller, even if it ends being the number 1 purchased PS3 game this christmas. I find it hard to believe that anyone would believe that a large number of gamers are buying the PS3 just to play Resistance rather than buying Resistance just to play the PS3. This is a case of the system selling the game not the game selling the system.
Which is what I meant about Sony wanting to give an option for every genre at launch. It would've been easier (easy enough?) if they took last gen games (specifically sequels) and bumped them up to next gen like Microsoft did with rare. It would've been better for launch if they got more "familiar" brands out.

Which is what I meant about Sony wanting to give an option for every genre at launch. It would've been easier (easy enough?) if they took last gen games (specifically sequels) and bumped them up to next gen like Microsoft did with rare. It would've been better for launch if they got more "familiar" brands out.

Either way, Sony would get flak. Don't forget that haters and hate inciters can always go the other route and accuse them for lack of innovation / new titles / new franchises.

You guys are completely off-track. Insomniac wanted to make an FPS, not Sony, and no matter what you think, Insomniac are completely independent. Sure, they have an excellent relationship with Sony, having been an AAA developer for Sony platforms for a long time, but they've always remained completely independent and are making the games they feel like making. Sony didn't have any say in this.

To be honest, if you followed Insomniac, it was clear that another FPS was coming up. One of their first games was an FPS (Disruptor), and recently in the Ratchett & Clank games you saw more and more a move to FPS like traits, like the stuff in the multi-player online matches. Those were a lot like FPS multiplayer stuff, and a lot of the modes in there you find back in Resistance in some form or other. They were bound to end up doing another FPS and get that out of their system. ;)

You guys are completely off-track. Insomniac wanted to make an FPS, not Sony, and no matter what you think,
And just what about their progression through Ratchet & Clank games would make you think THAT? I mean, it's not like they moved from a clever/action-y platformer to a full-fledged action-heavy game that tossed most of its' platforming roots and developed a concentration on online multi-player, did they? Huh? DID THEY?

Oh, right. :p

I've seen plenty of average gamers say Resistence is there game of choice.

Well what are thre options for an exclusive PS3 game at launch.....Resistance...Live 07....and Ridge Racer???

Not exactly alot to choose from! Live 07 has two competitors which will probably be superior games, and RR7 is sortof a niche game, so it's not surprising that Resistance is the game mos people are hoping will justify their purchase.

I believe Genji : Days of the Blade and Untold Legends : Dark Kingdom are the exclusives on launch day. In total that makes for 5.

Well what are thre options for an exclusive PS3 game at launch.....Resistance...Live 07....and Ridge Racer???

Not exactly alot to choose from! Live 07 has two competitors which will probably be superior games, and RR7 is sortof a niche game, so it's not surprising that Resistance is the game mos people are hoping will justify their purchase.

You are really pushing it there. Just like with some other console we won't see the most promising games at launch. Only thing that matters is that Resistance is a fun game, and it does seem that way. Great online fun is almost a given from what we saw. I wouldn't worry that much about people buying the PS3 if I were you..

Do you really think that people are hoping that the purchase of one game will justify their purchase? People will get the PS3 come launch because they want it. When I purchased my 360 I wasn't thinking that the games I bought, PDZ or COD2, would hopefully justify the purchase of my 360. What justified my purchase was the fact that I wanted it because I love video games and the potential of a lot of cool games in the future.
The same goes for the PS3. Plus the Blue Ray playback of course.

I do think that people who wait out in the cold, or go to great lenght to secure a console, and spend $700-800 on launch day do want to justify their purchase with something that is not available on the other platforms.

I know I would.

Something needs to justify the purchase now, otherwise why not wait until March to pick one up? You would save yourself alot of hassle.

When I purchased 360 it was the only place I could get next gen graphics on my HDTV, that was justification enough, there were no alternatives.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really want Resistance. It's the first FPS I've been excited about since Half-life 1 (I missed out on the Halo hype because I didn't have an xbox and was poor at the time -- I do have them now though!).

Lots of faith in the developer and the videos I've seen lead me to believe it'll be fun, polished and pretty too. For me it's the equivalent of Halo at Xbox launch.

I think there is some truth to 'wanting a legitimate (non ethereal) justification to rationalize the purchase' that scooby is hinting at though. But Resistance seems like a pretty valid thing to be excited about at launch regardless of wanting/needing a justification!

Resistance and Genji are what I'm picking up for sure (I liked Genji 1 for some reason!).

Back