Resistance: Fall of Man update! BIG READ , come inside!

Game looks like it might be fun (challenging at least) but it's definitely not a system-seller.

I would rather have a Twisted Metal sequel with a superb online mode.

Looking quite nice :) Environments are bigger than I previously thought and the textures seem to be improved from before (And for me it makes it a little less cartoony)

With that music + the crazy guns + and those alien models, to someone living under a rock for a few months that probably could have passed as the next Duke Nukem game. ;)

Game looks like it might be fun (challenging at least) but it's definitely not a system-seller.

People should refrain from making such comments. First of all very few games these days are system sellers, but second of all, when they are, they are rarely a system seller to a majority of the gaming population. Particularly a launch console at this price isn't going to have a lot of people who consider one particular game a system seller.

Having said that, even though it is not the genre I typically enjoy, what I see Insomniac doing with the hardware in Resistance makes it a system seller for me even without actually buying the game.

I would rather have a Twisted Metal sequel with a superb online mode.

A great example of 'to each his own.' I got Twisted Metal Black Online with my PS2 Network Adapter and I haven't touched it. ;)

Anyway, yes, Resistance is a system seller. I know some hardcore FPS gamers, and they have looked at this game and came away very impressed. There is just so much going on, so many details, and it's a huge game. It's a technical marvel, and I have a strong suspicion that it's actually going to turn out to be great to play as well.

But even if it isn't, it's probably one of the best showcase titles of the PS3's hardware. And therefore, to me, a system seller.

Of course Resistance is a system seller! Not necessarily because it might be a very good game (we don't know that yet), but because, as a launch title, and one that seems to be at least more interesting than most other launch titles on PS3, it is bound to be taken home with a lot of PS3 in a month time.

Heck, even the 87 EA sports titles available at launch can be called "system sellers".

Of course Resistance is a system seller! Not necessarily because it might be a very good game (we don't know that yet), but because, as a launch title, and one that seems to be at least more interesting than most other launch titles on PS3, it is bound to be taken home with a lot of PS3 in a month time.

Heck, even the 87 EA sports titles available at launch can be called "system sellers".

Shooting at the exact same alien 10 hours straight mus tbe boring tought.. What's up with that. Looking at the vids and screens it's always the same aliens running around..

Shooting at the exact same alien 10 hours straight mus tbe boring tought.. What's up with that. Looking at the vids and screens it's always the same aliens running around..

If you played a FPS in the last 10 years, then you'll see that's a common aspect of the game. Heck, even the revered Half Life 2 had the same soldier guy over and over again. It hardly matters though if the gameplay is good.

Resistance seems to have some cool bosses though.

I find it amazing that the guy killed like 50 enemies and none of them dissappeared/vaporized like they do in doom. Wouldn't that take up alot of ram for each body to stay in the level?

Yeah, it's very nice, also the way they end up just lying around in all sorts of different poses. Apparently eventually some kind of machine comes flying around and picks up the human bodies to turn them into aliens, but I don't know if it picks up the alien bodies too.

As far as the variety of Aliens are concerned, we have seen more aliens than you think. There's the one we've seen a lot of that looks a bit like the fireball throwing one in Doom, but there's also a tall captain version of that which you can see in these videos and is pretty hard to kill (we had it on some earlier screenshots but for all we knew back then it was concept art), there's the zombie like wall-climbing creature, there are the small face huggers, there's that large naked tall thing we already saw in vids very early on, there's the robot spider (maybe even two versions, not sure), there's the more organic spider, there's the swine like furry beast in the Church, there's the really huge standing monster that has these fireballs.

That's nine so far that we've seen? Doesn't seem so bad.

It looks very smooth, but I'm not sure what to think of the visual style. Some stuff looks a bit cartoony while other stuff looks realistic.

Could be the video quality too by the way...

I believe the lack of self-shadowing could be responsible. if you look at sandbags and walls you see they draw a shadow on the ground, but not on itself, making them appearing "disconnected" from the ground.
On the bright side, nearly everything seems to be destructable

From what I've seen, R:FOM seems to be shaping up well graphically and the gameplay looks solid though not revolutionary (though the weapons maybe be interesting). The only thing I've seen that I have a major problem with is weapons switching. Have any of you noticed that the gameplay pauses so the player sifts through the weapons menu? That's just plain backwards.

From what I've seen, R:FOM seems to be shaping up well graphically and the gameplay looks solid though not revolutionary (though the weapons maybe be interesting). The only thing I've seen that I have a major problem with is weapons switching. Have any of you noticed that the gameplay pauses so the player sifts through the weapons menu? That's just plain backwards.

There is a quick weapon change that doesn't pause the gameplay.

Ok, great. I just don't recall seeing it. Maybe the that pause screen that I'd seen was were weapons could be tweeked. Thanks Bobbler.

You can setup which weapons you want under which quick select option. That's partly where this screen comes in handy. You can rest assured that during online gameplay, things will be different, just like the time slow-down with the sniper rifle which is obviously also absent in online multiplayer. ;)

Something that bothers me is the robotic nature of player movements. I'd like a bit of organic motion, where a turn isn't 'absolute start, absolute stop', but has a sort of shifting of weight, accelarating into and out of the movement. After all if you were to turn and fire a heavy gun, the act of turning would apply momentum and likely carry you a little past your mark, until you trained yourself to stop earlier. Similarly the sniper rifle is perfectly still. It ought to be bobbing around a bit, even if you claim some stabilizing tech in operation.

As it is, it feels more like you're controlling a robot than an adrenalin-pumped human. Linking in the motion controller to the camera would add some organic element straight away, with a camcorder style shake!

Something that bothers me is the robotic nature of player movements. I'd like a bit of organic motion, where a turn isn't 'absolute start, absolute stop', but has a sort of shifting of weight, accelarating into and out of the movement. After all if you were to turn and fire a heavy gun, the act of turning would apply momentum and likely carry you a little past your mark, until you trained yourself to stop earlier. Similarly the sniper rifle is perfectly still. It ought to be bobbing around a bit, even if you claim some stabilizing tech in operation.

As it is, it feels more like you're controlling a robot than an adrenalin-pumped human. Linking in the motion controller to the camera would add some organic element straight away, with a camcorder style shake!

All good points Shifty, though I feel that these are more problems of the FPS genre as a whole than R:FOM. I've been waiting to see more of the Docu-cam shake for years and the only game with good implementation of it may be GOW which is an FPS disguised as a third-person game. In FPS games I never feel like I'm running to/away from anything. It feels like I'm hovering or escalating.

As for the physics resulting in recoil, I'm shocked that we haven't seen more of it. It would have been great to feel the recoil in the controler's rumble, but that's missing altogether.

All good points Shifty, though I feel that these are more problems of the FPS genre as a whole.
Definitely. The best efforts on organic movement to date have been a bizarre 'clown's unicycle' bobbing motion as you run. It's not even a hard thing do, so I'm surprised it's as unnatural as it is.

Id rather rank up kills because of my aiming instead of having luck the gameplay-character dragged the gun somewhere else - NO THANKS. Seriously, why has it to be "realistic" if the opposite is just having more control.
Take for example the first Prince of Persia - it had fluid animations because the movement actually lagged your input. ie run right - press left - character slows down and starts running right after a delay. While it looked good (could call it more realistic as well), theres no debate that the control was worse than other games - a more complex game (in terms of movement) like Super Mario wouldnt be possible with such control-scheme - or would simply fail because of sluggish controls

What if you have time-slowing tech in operation? :LOL: With all due respect, I understand your criticism, but they belong in the CoD3 realm of FPS games, that strive for realism, and not Resistance type of games, which strives for amusing gameplay. There's not really much in the game that strives for realism. It's more of a FPS version of Ratchett & Clank with some (I'd almost say slightly - the more Alien architecture in the levels, the more they make you think about what Ratchett PS3 might look like) more realistic graphics.

Apparently you're a human with some weird alien infection. Some of the motion in the camera you talk about by the way isn't necessarily realistic, unless you do actually have someone with a camera running behind you. ;) Go ahead and try it yourself. Go running and while you stare in the distance, think about exactly how much you move up and down. When I run, most of my body actually moves in a straight line, and even if you skip more than you run, the further in the distance you look, the less movement.

It's not that I don't see your criticism at all of course, but just putting things into perspective a little. ;)

Back