Resistance: Fall of Man update! BIG READ , come inside!

Quite the opposite.

If there were 6GB of PAL movies then we can probably assume that the NTSC movies also take up around 6GB. That would bring the game down to 10GB or less.

In otherwords, without the movies the game could possibly fit on a standard DVD-9 disk with little modification.

good point

I completely agree that more space is ALWAYS a good thing, but to try to hold this disc up as the reason that DVD9 is invalid is just silly IMO.

Nobody has said that outright (in this thread) but we all know the inference. :smile:

"Can you clarify at all re. the in-game buddy list? Is that leveraging the PNP buddy list from the XMB with some Resistance-specific functionality, or is it completely independent? Also, can you comment on in-game messaging to people on your buddy list - is that possible? There's some confusion over that spawning from the Eurogamer article, and whether you can actually access the XMB buddy list anymore in-game, and communicate with friends from there. "

TP: Hey gofreak. The buddy list is specific to Resistance. And we decided not to bother people in-game with messages. If you have a new message sent to you while you’re in a game, you'll see your "buddy list" tab flashing when you re-enter the lobby after playing a game. The buddy list tab is where you can access your friends, ignore list, messages, etc.

no universal buddy list? and no reply to messages in game confirmed.

>>Over the past few months we've told all of the enthusiast magazines and websites that we will TRY for 1080p. And indeed we did try. But when we began making our final discs we made the decision to release at 720p. Why? Native 1080p (versus 720p scaled to 1080p) uses much more VRAM than 720p. When we finished up a few of our bigger levels at the very end of the development process we realized that we would have had to steal VRAM from some of our characters and environments to run in native 1080p. Some of you who aren???t familiar with hardware in general may be asking ???So didn???t you say you freed up more space???? Well yes, but VRAM and disc space are two completely separate things. VRAM/RAM is the 512Mb of dynamic memory allocated to game assets at runtime versus the 25Gb or so of permanent storage on a single-layer Blu-Ray. >>

In other words, 1080P=puts a hurtin on graphics. What we already knew.
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by a moderator:
And without all those pesky levels and character data, it could probably fit on a CD.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the playable part of the game could fit on a regular DVD, and it's only FMV that makes the game use up so much space.

And we haven't even touched the subject of redundant data to improve loading times, and how much disk space that chews up yet.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the playable part of the game could fit on a regular DVD, and it's only FMV that makes the game use up so much space.

And we haven't even touched the subject of redundant data to improve loading times, and how much disk space that chews up yet.
How do you know it could?

Have you seen a filelist of the final build?

Sorry but am i the only one to notice that 6GB of PAL video is hours of video? Around 2 in fact? And that's using MPEG2. With MPEG4 codecs it's even more.

Why do they have 2 hours of FMV in the game?? Not even Final Fantasy games have an accumulated 2 hours of FMV in their games, and they are Final Fantasy games, not comparatively small FPS games. Heck, not even close! Total running time for FF FMV must be well under the half-hour...

How do you know it could?

Have you seen a filelist of the final build?

Well, let's see. The developer said it took 22GB. They cut 6GB by removing the PAL movies and just going with NTSC movies. Unless you can give me a really good reason why those NTSC movies (Same movies, just a different format) would be a radically different size we can assume those are about 6GB as well.

22GB - 6GB (PAL) - 6GB (NTSC) = 10GB.

Now, unless I am mistaken it's using DD7.1 sound, correct? Remove that and re-encode it in DD5.1 and you'll save some more. Remove any redundant data and save some more, and now you are within DVD-9 specs.

Take it a step further and remove all but a single language in any spoken dialog, and you could reduce it even further. If you absolutely had to, you could probably drop the resolution on just a few textures here and there and save even more.

Do you disagree?

Well, let's see. The developer said it took 22GB. They cut 6GB by removing the PAL movies and just going with NTSC movies. Unless you can give me a really good reason why those NTSC movies (Same movies, just a different format) would be a radically different size we can assume those are about 6GB as well.

22GB - 6GB (PAL) - 6GB (NTSC) = 10GB.

Now, unless I am mistaken it's using DD7.1 sound, correct? Remove that and re-encode it in DD5.1 and you'll save some more. Remove any redundant data and save some more, and now you are within DVD-9 specs.

Take it a step further and remove all but a single language in any spoken dialog, and you could reduce it even further. If you absolutely had to, you could probably drop the resolution on just a few textures here and there and save even more.

Do you disagree?

So basically cut features until you can fit it onto a DVD-9 ?

1) Getting to 16GB involved cutting the PAL videos as well as improving compression, so cutting the NTSC videos/HD videos wouldn't necessarily translate into cutting a further 6/++ gigs.

2) I doubt the 7.1 audio is more than two to three gigs at the moment, and that's like tops. Seriously, how many games are going to author every single sound in 7.1? I thought we were moving towards doing more in realtime. ;)

3) Since when have redundant data and multiple audio tracks on the same disc been important game "features." Sure, for the latter, major plus for the manufacturer, perhaps testing, and so on. An amusing aspect for some people. And for some games this might be the biggest space hog of all. Halo 2 split was something like 900MB non-audio and 3.x GB of audio (mp3) for the English version. Though they used palletted textures and have an extremely wide variety of dialogue,, so the ratio probably wouldn't be so low for many games now.

Meh...

This is getting really pathetic! Why do the same fsck'n people insist on arguing the BR game disc case over and over again?! Let it go! MS missed the boat, and that was their decision! You don't need to be a cheerleader for DVD and brag about how this game and that game could fit, but evil SONY won't because they want BR to succeed!!! Who gives a sh*t? Nobody but you fools! Damn, it's really getting old!

Apologies to everyone else, but someone had to say something...

Why do they have 2 hours of FMV in the game?? Not even Final Fantasy games have an accumulated 2 hours of FMV in their games, and they are Final Fantasy games, not comparatively small FPS games. Heck, not even close! Total running time for FF FMV must be well under the half-hour...

Just as I've said it some weeks ago: they put it there just for the sake of it, so that they can brag about how good it is to have the capacity of BR. Not to mention that they could use a better codec like H264 or anything else really, but then those movies wouldn't need the high capacity of BR... ;)))

Just as I've said it some weeks ago: they put it there just for the sake of it, so that they can brag about how good it is to have the capacity of BR. Not to mention that they could use a better codec like H264 or anything else really, but then those movies wouldn't need the high capacity of BR... ;)))
So taking out material was for the sake of it too? Obviously they had the video in there for a reason until they found the ps3 had a feature that would disable the need of the PAL format.

I hope more developers follow the resistance example and skip that stupid 1080p checkbox feature. I want more from this gen than just a resolution upgrade...

Why do the same fsck'n people insist on arguing the BR game disc case over and over again?!

Because Sony insists they've only done it for the sake of games.

Things like having all languages on one disc is nice for devs, but as a consumer I couldn't care less.

This is getting really pathetic! Why do the same fsck'n people insist on arguing the BR game disc case over and over again?! Let it go! MS missed the boat, and that was their decision! You don't need to be a cheerleader for DVD and brag about how this game and that game could fit, but evil SONY won't because they want BR to succeed!!! Who gives a sh*t? Nobody but you fools! Damn, it's really getting old!

Apologies to everyone else, but someone had to say something...

Just as I've said it some weeks ago: they put it there just for the sake of it, so that they can brag about how good it is to have the capacity of BR. Not to mention that they could use a better codec like H264 or anything else really, but then those movies wouldn't need the high capacity of BR... ))

end of thread?

Back