Resident Evil 4 Prototype Video

NR Disk? What is that? If it was indeed running on GC then why didn't GC RE4 have the kind of shadowing this video has?

As for as the video in this thread, there's certain sections in what we have now that slightly compare. The model for Leon doesn't come close, the older version is just better in every aspect. Lighting and textures are to.

don't forget that what is shown in this video is essentially cutscenes - though they may have the overall edge in a comparison with RE4's, i still think the two version's presentations are well comparable. of course that's just IMO.

Deepak said:
NR Disk? What is that? If it was indeed running on GC then why didn't GC RE4 have the kind of shadowing this video has?

NR disks are the writable version of the GC disk, found with one of the devkits, namely the NR-reader. i believe there's one on ebay right now.

regarding the drop in shadows complexity, i guess it was a logical trade-off along the game's overhaul to increased scene dynamics - it's one thing when you have to draw shadows for a couple of casters (i.e. your avatar and the current pesky monster), and another when you have whole crowds of those running all over the place. and last but not least, RE4's actual camera rarely shows your avatar's shadow. which is not the case with your companion's, of course, but i think her character got enough of devs' attention anyway : )

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add, the demo of 5 minute gameplay footage you see in the Hookman version was just a few rooms connected together. Nothing else was finished, so the game didnt really make it far into production before it was scrapped. The Progenitor version however had quite a lot of rooms finished before it got the axe. Many of the rooms are still in the debug menu of various versions of RE4, though the map they link to is no longer on the disc. Eventually Leon would turn into a creature:

02.jpg

NR Disk? What is that?

NR Discs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back