Resident Evil 4 Prototype Video

The HQ trailer doesn't work for me,I can only hear the sound.
Anyway graphics in the original version of the game were significantly better than what we have in the final game.Textures and Leon's model in particular took a huge hit.
Maybe it's because they have passed from small rooms and corridors to open spaces...however it's time to think to RE5! :D

Played for me. You may need to get yourself FFDSHOW for some more codec support.

Haha, My site found its way here on its own XD. You need an X264 decompressor in order to see the video. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ VLC media player does it well, without the need to install a codec.

You might want to check out the last few news posts, I have the 5 minute gameplay footage up of the version after Progenitor, Hookman - http://www.thehorrorisalive.net/Biohazard 3.5 Footage (Subtitled).zip.

If you like RE4 Prototypes, check out this little feature here - http://www.thehorrorisalive.com/index.php?id=features&s=re4demos. Specifically, the fun starts on page 9 - http://www.thehorrorisalive.com/index.php?id=features&s=re4demos&p=9.

Look for some more prototype stuff in the future, stuff noone else has ever seen besides the dev staff :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like RE4 Prototypes, check out this little feature here - http://www.thehorrorisalive.com/index.php?id=features&s=re4demos. Specifically, the fun starts on page 9 - http://www.thehorrorisalive.com/index.php?id=features&s=re4demos&p=9.

ed: ah, ok - the site url has moved to a .net domain.

[Moderated]
I'd have prefered that RE4, instead of the one we got.

you'd have preferred yet another classic RE exercise in frustrating navigation, loose aiming and camera-blind tactics to the milestone experience that RE4 ended up to be? well, what can i say - i'm glad it did not end up by your preferences then.

for those who have nostalgic second thoughts like Jim here, just imagine how RE4's grounbreaking mercenaries mode would have felt in the classic RE mechanics.. *shudders*

I actually prefered this version, it looks like resi gaes should. Slow....

IMO Resi 4 was'nt a true resi game it just changed from the formulae so much that it felt like a different game completely.

it was in a RE universe - that makes it RE enough. as about the awkward game mechanics of the classic REs - if one really likes those there're more than plenty of classic RE games to satisfy mankind's need for slow and awkward gameplay for the next decade, i believe, what's wrong with doing something similar that devitates for the better?

I would've preferred the "old" RE4's environment (although it could use some more sizing) with "new" RE4's gameplay and mechanics. Although I enjoyed RE4, the atmosphere was a little "bright", even in dark areas for me, if you know might I mean.

ed: ah, ok - the site url has moved to a .net domain.

you'd have preferred yet another classic RE exercise in frustrating navigation, loose aiming and camera-blind tactics to the milestone experience that RE4 ended up to be? well, what can i say - i'm glad it did not end up by your preferences then.

for those who have nostalgic second thoughts like Jim here, just imagine how RE4's grounbreaking mercenaries mode would have felt in the classic RE mechanics.. *shudders*

"Mechanics" of the game wasn't the focal point of my statement. The underlying concept of those first impressions were. The gameplay in that video took a turn for the twisted, straying outside the boundaries of every RE game ever produced, which was essentially run five feet from you enemy and shoot him. That video was chock full of ghastly visions and the overall unexplainable, far left from the same sort of game produced 4 times over...

Thanks for the video. Awesome!

Why did they scrap this version? I infact liked the camera angle in this video. And BTW, can anyone tell me if GC RE4 has same level of graphics as shown in this video? Bec'se PS2 version sucks in comparison to this video, poor lighting, no shadowing....

Why did they scrap this version? I infact liked the camera angle in this video. And BTW, can anyone tell me if GC RE4 has same level of graphics as shown in this video? Bec'se PS2 version sucks in comparison to this video, poor lighting, no shadowing....

RE4's actual graphics are pretty close to those shown in the video (i.e. meshes, lighting, volumetric effects, textures variety), except for the shadows - during gameplay they are fake, only in cutscenes you can see shadows as good as in this video.

Thanks darkblu. Any idea which system it was running on? GC devkit? Why couldn't they implement such shadows during gameplay also?

GC version has better lighting, dynamic lighting from he gun muzzle flash. Lightning during night, cast shadows when it flashes, mostly on the environment. The lighting is just all around better. There's some comparison videos out there. Shadows from villagers are still circles.

As for as the video in this thread, there's certain sections in what we have now that slightly compare. The model for Leon doesn't come close, the older version is just better in every aspect. Lighting and textures are to.

I could go for it being released as the "lost RE". LOL. I miss playing RE4 the first time thru.

I actually prefered this version, it looks like resi gaes should. Slow....

IMO Resi 4 was'nt a true resi game it just changed from the formulae so much that it felt like a different game completely.

I feel exactly the same

Well i have played both Version own the GC, and played the PS2 at a Friends house on HDD TV and the GC still looks better IMO, PS2 might be a Director's cut type version with the extras which is very kool, but in terms of Visuals it's weak.

Back