Redfall [XBSX|S, XGP, PC]

I know this isn't Redfall specific, but I feel like MS should designate a specific team to go round and improve a bunch of existing releases on XSX/XSS.
Perhaps say the team that did the FPS boost work? and the Back compat work - assuming it's the same team.
Give them some time, and tell them, anything MS owned needs to be "Best on XSX" - EG. Ghostwire, Deathloop,
Also try and get to EA, and offer to do the same for them. Eg. Jedi Survivor and Dead space remake.

Then get this team to help fix the perf problems in Redfall!

The most powerful console narrative only works, if you can back it up with the perf numbers in big releases.
It does look like UE5 titles will end up performing slightly better on XSX vs PS5 ( based on fornite )

The collation and undead labs both have small teams to help with unreal 5 development apparently. I am sure also that ID would be able to help with ID tech stuff and likely already do at Bethesda. I think the forza engine is fine and its only used by the forza teams.

I think the problem is that there are way to many engines that they are using. The halo engine (slipspace ?) Forza tech , Id Tech, Unreal 4 , Unreal 5 now , Gamebryo/creation are just the ones I know of off the top of my head. It sounds like internally they are looking to Ditch the halo engine for the next game and go to either id tech or uneal 5. So at least there they are dropping one engine.

This was the first unreal game that Arkane made the previous ones I think where crytek so that may be where some problems come from. Also this game was originally going to be on last gen and ps5 until the purchase. So much of its development life would have had the development spread across all that. Likely it didn't help its cause.

Like I said, lets hope this is the misstep from the bethesda purchase and MS goes and looks at everything in the pipeline from them and either internally delays them or add more man power to them (or both really). Of course if there are a lot of problems in the pipeline we will get more years of thin game releases. I'd hope however that the wolf and doom games wouldn't face those issues, hopefully the extra year on Starfield and MS already adding more support to that team also helps iron out issues there. They still have a good 5-6 months for that game and even assigning more people now could improve it.

There's a realistic hope that someone at the coalition go to Austin, install the UE5 sdk on some developer pc, show where the import project and compile buttons are, and release a new version that takes advantage of all the streaming tech of modern consoles?

There's a realistic hope that someone at the coalition go to Austin, install the UE5 sdk on some developer pc, show where the import project and compile buttons are, and release a new version that takes advantage of all the streaming tech of modern consoles?

Is that a realistic hope? Seem like a sure fire way to create a whole load of more issues.

I suppose that while they're at it, 'just' switch lighting to Lumin and see what that does shadows and the look of character faces. :)

According to Phil they send help to late, people from Coallition are there and they have a plan for 60fps but it was to late to fix everything before launch. Why the Coallition needs to help so many studios and why A:Austin cannot fix it with people they have its another question.

They're but they also help out 343i and others which are not using UE.

They're what 300 Devs and it feels like they help 80% of XGS Studios + now Bethesda.

Why not increase the ATG Dev count or who ever is helping outside Studio X

Last edited:
For those who were interested in this game and have GamePass, this is disappointing but some poor buggers paid good money for this game. Based on the earlier poll, asking if Arkane should fix Redfall or move on, if Arkane don't fix this they really need to refund everybody who bought

As often as Coalition has to help out, I wonder what's wrong with Microsoft's ATG Group (ICE at Sony).
There is not much info on what ATG works now, last info we got was about VRS and VRCS and ATG was a mix of people form ID, 343i, and TC. In this case TC has more competence in fixing UE bugs than ATG. This is just what i assume not that i know shit btw.

Well, if the game indeed was originally designed to be something else than a single player experience, it shows.

• Can't pause game
  • No game saves
  • Barely any storytelling in game

Also, the gunplay is bad (like any other Arkane game) and graphics do not warrant 30fps limit. But I still enjoy playing it for some reason. The story behind the game was interesting, at least for me.

I really enjoyed the gunplay, but you absolutely have to make adjustments if you're playing on console. The default input settings aren't the best.

For those who were interested in this game and have GamePass, this is disappointing but some poor buggers paid good money for this game. Based on the earlier poll, asking if Arkane should fix Redfall or move on, if Arkane don't fix this they really need to refund everybody who bought
In the digital age there is no excuse to even buy a bad game in the first place. You have data available on whether a game is a dump or not on the day it launches at the very latest.

According to Phil they send help to late, people from Coallition are there and they have a plan for 60fps but it was to late to fix everything before launch. Why the Coallition needs to help so many studios and why A:Austin cannot fix it with people they have its another question.

Likely was a problem before Bethesda sold out to MS and likely part of the reason they sold out to MS. They knew they had some troubled studios with some less than stellar projects in the works and wanted to get out before they went bankrupt trying to fix everything.

Basically sell while the company was still worth something rather than sell later when the company would be worth pennies on the dollar.

That's the risk with buying a publisher and all of their development studios rather than buying individual development studios.

Regards,
SB

This was the first unreal game that Arkane made the previous ones I think where crytek so that may be where some problems come from. Also this game was originally going to be on last gen and ps5 until the purchase. So much of its development life would have had the development spread across all that. Likely it didn't help its cause.
Arkane Austin apparently used UE4 for Prey: Mooncrash, so this isn't their first rodeo. Developing this around the previous gen makes 30fps all the more confusing. The diorama cutscenes on their own could be a style choice, but imply a lack of dev time when paired with the games other deficiencies.

Then again, maybe they have to be commended for making a co-op open world FPS happen considering even Halo Infinite couldn't pull that off.

Likely was a problem before Bethesda sold out to MS and likely part of the reason they sold out to MS. They knew they had some troubled studios with some less than stellar projects in the works and wanted to get out before they went bankrupt trying to fix everything.

Basically sell while the company was still worth something rather than sell later when the company would be worth pennies on the dollar.

That's the risk with buying a publisher and all of their development studios rather than buying individual development studios.

Regards,
SB

The flip side is you can still get a good deal on the company and take the time to turn around projects. Releasing redfall in this state was a bad choice , it should have been killed when MS bought the company. MS should have been more hands on during that time. But on the flip side MS can relax deadlines for when games actually ship and can internally push back all of bethesda's games outside of starfield now and let them have more time in the oven.

MS now knows the issue with Arkane so going forward if Arkane still exists they need to hire up unreal developers to create better games

Arkane Austin apparently used UE4 for Prey: Mooncrash, so this isn't their first rodeo. Developing this around the previous gen makes 30fps all the more confusing. The diorama cutscenes on their own could be a style choice, but imply a lack of dev time when paired with the games other deficiencies.

Then again, maybe they have to be commended for making a co-op open world FPS happen considering even Halo Infinite couldn't pull that off.

I haven't heard that myself. I have only read that this was their first Unreal title. Of course I could have wrong information.

I think the 30fps comes from it being a true 4k game. It doesn't appear to be using any dynamic res or FSR.

I"m assuming this title had issues through out development , covid certainly didn't help it and then MS saw the state of it and pushed it back so it be at least playable and it still wasn't enough time to fix it.

What is really bothering me about this situation is there have been no statements that I see about a time line for patches to resolve some of these issues. As big of a cluster as the last of us pc and jedi were at least the company came out quickly about releasing patches to improve things.

They didn’t get everything wrong.

The NVIDIA DLSS Frame Generation implementation is excellent in this game, the overall image quality is quite impressive. Even small flying particle effects, such as different varieties of the player's magic abilities, are rendered correctly, even during fast movement. Many other DLSS Frame Generation games that we've tested had issues with the in-game on-screen UI, which had a very jittery look—the DLSS Frame Generation implementation in Redfall does not have this issue. Also, the DLSS Frame Generation implementation in this game does not force you to enable DLSS Super Resolution first in order to utilize DLSS Frame Generation, as some other Unreal Engine 4 games do, and you can use DLAA and DLSS Frame Generation without any issues if you want to maximize your image quality.

I received the game as a bonus for buying a nVidia card, and I have to say that in a way all the negativity towards the game lowered my expectations. Maybe that had something to do with my ability to appreciate the parts of it I like, and to enjoy the time I spent playing it so far.

It's been better said by others what there is to like, I'm impressed by the worldscape, but I'll use my own words for my criticisms.

The hitching needs to get fixed, though for me it's only an intermittent medium sized annoyance. I'm playing on Dusk/Medium difficulty, I don't look for great challenges, and the AI of the baddies when they're in groups is pretty bad. Vampire AI could use some work as well.

The stylized graphics look nice on my OLED with HDR on, and with DLAA giving it that hard to define something extra. I get that the style was a choice, and it works, but I'd have appreciated a "HD texture pack" to make it a notch more solid.

P.S. I think the game received extra heavy criticism due to how Low-Fi and simplistic things were at the start. I was relieved to see things go to a higher level once I left the Fire Station.

P.P.S I haven't played more than a few hours of it, and most of that was after I installed the latest Game Ready drivers that included Refall as one that they were optimized for. Hoping for a patch as well, and sooner rather than later. ;)

Back