Redfall [XBSX|S, XGP, PC]

I received the game as a bonus for buying a nVidia card, and I have to say that in a way all the negativity towards the game lowered my expectations. Maybe that had something to do with my ability to appreciate the parts of it I like, and to enjoy the time I spent playing it so far.

It's been better said by others what there is to like, I'm impressed by the worldscape, but I'll use my own words for my criticisms.

The hitching needs to get fixed, though for me it's only an intermittent medium sized annoyance. I'm playing on Dusk/Medium difficulty, I don't look for great challenges, and the AI of the baddies when they're in groups is pretty bad. Vampire AI could use some work as well.

The stylized graphics look nice on my OLED with HDR on, and with DLAA giving it that hard to define something extra. I get that the style was a choice, and it works, but I'd have appreciated a "HD texture pack" to make it a notch more solid.

P.S. I think the game received extra heavy criticism due to how Low-Fi and simplistic things were at the start. I was relieved to see things go to a higher level once I left the Fire Station.

P.P.S I haven't played more than a few hours of it, and most of that was after I installed the latest Game Ready drivers that included Refall as one that they were optimized for. Hoping for a patch as well, and sooner rather than later. ;)
The beginning section on the ferry is a terrible introduction graphically speaking. The "wave" effect is rubbish and they really should have spent a little time making that look better. The vampires that appear in the short cut-scene at the start don't exactly make you think this is going to be a graphical powerhouse. It does get better though as you say.

The texture streaming issue on Xbox is dead weird. Can't believe 20s delays in loading textures wasn't noticed and wasn't treated as a priority to fix. The lack of animation on a bunch of characters is really strange as well as is the terrible AI at times.

I've gone on to other games in the meantime but I'll return when some/most of this stuff is fixed. Assuming it ever is.

The beginning section on the ferry is a terrible introduction graphically speaking. The "wave" effect is rubbish and they really should have spent a little time making that look better. The vampires that appear in the short cut-scene at the start don't exactly make you think this is going to be a graphical powerhouse. It does get better though as you say.
The wave looks completely out of place, but it does have a nice impact effect when you shoot it. Graphically, I think some parts of the game do like quite good. Others, not so much. But the volumetric light in Redfall is everywhere, with lots of color. You can see some stipple in the god rays but virtually no banding. But the whole game has an inconsistent quality. Some meshes are high poly, well textured, and look realistic. Some look more stylized. And stuff like the frozen wave and the reflections have a UE2 quality to them. And the performance is all over the place.

I finished the campaign on midnight, though I played the first few hours on dusk. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference. I started new game plus on eclipse, and the enemies are much spongier, and do much more damage.

Overall, I think this game is a 6.5/10. Maybe a 7 if nothing was changed but the performance. I see people talking about glitches and bugs, and I've seen plenty of the dumb AI, textures taking forever to load, as well as low level LODs, but outside of the performance I don't think Redfall is in that bad shape, from a technical point of view. I didn't have any crashes to desktop, never had any bugs that stopped my progress. Never got trapped in parts of the map I wasn't supposed to get to, and I think I have a special talent for that. I did fall through the world once, but not in the normal way where you just fall through the ground. I found a part of a wall that I had to scramble to get to that didn't have collision. I though it might have been part of a puzzle so I forced my way in there and through the wall and fell through a gap in the world.

The game is OK, it just feels like an indie game made by a 5 person team who love immersive sims and not a AAA release.

Felt like someone merged left 4 dead + destiny + the division, and failed miserably.

The different encounter approaches does work tho. Kinda felt like the old game assassin game I forgot the title.

Btw the low budget cutscenes are very jarring and boring.

Felt like someone merged left 4 dead + destiny + the division, and failed miserably.
Not sure there's anything Left 4 Dead in here except the fact that it's a 4 player co-op game with a horror theme. This is a co-op PVE hero shooter with limited loot, a simplistic skill tree, and lite immersive sim elements.

You can scroll down a bit in the thread for the non paywalled article.

The article doesn't contradict Spencer's narrative that MS were trusting Bethesda to get on with things. Even if MS continue to be a cautiously hands off with their purchases, for good historical reasons, you'd hope Redfall is the nail in the coffin* of GaaS at Bethesda.

* Vampire pun achieved!

The acquisition gave some staff at Arkane hope that Microsoft might cancel Redfall or, better yet, let them reboot it as a single-player game, according to sources familiar with the production. Instead, Microsoft maintained a hands-off approach. Aside from canceling a version of Redfall that had been planned for rival Sony Corp.'s PlayStation, Microsoft allowed ZeniMax to continue operating as it had before, with great autonomy. Microsoft's Spencer would later say in the Kinda Funny interview that Xbox "didn't do a good job early in engaging Arkane Austin."

Yup. So a publisher chased the GaaS dream. Flopped. MS could have cancelled it. But wanted to be hands off. Ouch. Gonna have to say that they actually needs more hands on with their studios. Library curation is critical.

A moment we beg for microsoft to stay away from acquired studios, the other that they have more hands on.
Leadership insecurity. People ripped on them for being too hands on. And now they are being ripped for being too hands off.

They shouldn’t listen to the public. They should be having constant communication with the developers.

I'm not sure that's something any Developer ever wants. :ROFLMAO:
Lol
Just communication lol, not constant direction.

The studio and publishers should have a direct ear to their labour force. You should know how they feel, 70% churn rate is unacceptable.

you'd hope Redfall is the nail in the coffin* of GaaS at Bethesda.
Having put over 70 hours in Redfall, I can't say that it feels like a games as a service game at all. There isn't any microtransactions. The only DLC is for future heroes and a soundtrack. There isn't a stream of tiny content used for monetization. There isn't a subscription fee required to play, although I would argue that Gamepass is the best way to play it because there isn't enough content to keep most people playing indefinitely.

Having put over 70 hours in Redfall, I can't say that it feels like a games as a service game at all. There isn't any microtransactions. The only DLC is for future heroes and a soundtrack. There isn't a stream of tiny content used for monetization. There isn't a subscription fee required to play, although I would argue that Gamepass is the best way to play it because there isn't enough content to keep most people playing indefinitely.

I too completed the game via Gamepass and don't see GaaS at all either. But it's the thing to hate, and it's from a Microsoft studio, so it's par for the course.

Also, impressive to see Jason Schreier squeeze an article out of Redfall, without being able to use "ThE cRuNcH" to spit out another hitpiece on the game industry. It must have been disappointing to find out the rumors were true that Microsoft was hands off. But he found a way to pivot. Bravo.

Yup. So a publisher chased the GaaS dream. Flopped. MS could have cancelled it. But wanted to be hands off. Ouch. Gonna have to say that they actually needs more hands on with their studios. Library curation is critical.

Everybody loves to slam GaaS, but RedFall just sucked. From the article:

They were undersized to make an open-world game to begin with
They lost 70% of their employees and couldn't fully re-staff
They were notorious for paying low wages
They couldn't attract game devs to move to Texas
They couldn't tell people they were working on a multiplayer game (most applicants were excited to work on single-player)
The two directors failed to provide clear direction on what the game would be

Micro-transactions was the least of the games worries.

I guess the point was that this was meant to be GaaS with microtransactions etc but it was all taken out and therefore a failure for Bethesda at trying to make another one.

The problem of Redfall is not been a mp* game. This is to try to do a mp game with teams who are good at creating single player game. The two worst Bethesda/Arkane games are Fallout 76 and RedFall and they are MP/GAAS. I am sure Starfield will be much better.

MP can be PVP or PVE.

EDIT: On Sony side this is a bit the same with TLOU Factions.

Is there any sign of a patch coming soon? I'm not going back until they fix some of the more egregious issues like the texture streaming, but I've not seen anything that indicates that they're actually fixing the mulititude of problems.

Back