Redfall [XBSX|S, XGP, PC]

Is there any sign of a patch coming soon? I'm not going back until they fix some of the more egregious issues like the texture streaming, but I've not seen anything that indicates that they're actually fixing the mulititude of problems.

Hard to think it’s not being abandoned. I doubt enough people bought it that it’s worth spending time on,

Is there any sign of a patch coming soon? I'm not going back until they fix some of the more egregious issues like the texture streaming, but I've not seen anything that indicates that they're actually fixing the mulititude of problems.

I expect several patches are still being worked on, but we won't hear about anything until well after the showcase. They want to let the focus be on other titles. When the FPS patch is ready, they will do a soft-relaunch.

Yeah the hype machine got out of hand. I don't really follow the gamer news at all though. I want to try it even though it doesn't look like my sort of game really. Way too expensive for that right now.

Maybe Epic will give it away someday :)

Last edited:
The main failure from MS' side is that they hyped the game. If Redfall was marketed as a cute little project hanging around after the acquisition that they pushed out like a Grounded or Pentiment, then they might have got away with it, but this was the big early 2023 game hyped at their last big show. Fiasco ensued.

Grounded in particular makes Redfall worse by comparison. A multiplayer UE4 title from a smaller team, with a higher degree of interactivity and some really nice visuals to boot. Oh, and over 10 million people have played it.

Hard to think it’s not being abandoned. I doubt enough people bought it that it’s worth spending time on,
They do have the extra content from the Bite Back Edition to release still. I can't see them ditching that unless they want to refund all of the people who paid for that upgrade.
Also, impressive to see Jason Schreier squeeze an article out of Redfall, without being able to use "ThE cRuNcH" to spit out another hitpiece on the game industry. It must have been disappointing to find out the rumors were true that Microsoft was hands off. But he found a way to pivot. Bravo.
I found the fun in Redfall. He finds the problem with everything.

The main failure from MS' side is that they hyped the game. If Redfall was marketed as a cute little project hanging around after the acquisition that they pushed out like a Grounded or Pentiment, then they might have got away with it, but this was the big early 2023 game hyped at their last big show. Fiasco ensued.
They should have had all the teams at bethesda present current builds of their games and time lines. I can't believe that a years ago when the purchase was completed that this game looked like it would be ready any time soon. Hopefully going forward with any studios they purchase they have them present and then create accurate time lines for the games. They should have enough studios shortly that any added company can have games pushed back without leaving empty holes to fill

Grounded in particular makes Redfall worse by comparison. A multiplayer UE4 title from a smaller team, with a higher degree of interactivity and some really nice visuals to boot. Oh, and over 10 million people have played it.
I spent a week with grounded last Christmas and it was great.

I don't do MP or co-op and anything with a GaaS design generally doesn't work well for solos adventurers like me, but the wealth of options to setup a game how you want, e.g. customising the scarcity of items, to reduce or eliminate item grinding for crafting, let's anybody dive into the world/concept and play how they want. it doesn't feel like GaaS at all, because Microsoft/Rare did a really smart thing with Grounded, and rather than make the game that incentivised you to spend money in the game, it's there to improve the quality of games on GamePass and keep your coming back with new content.

Game that are the service, are tricky to pull-off effectively which is why so few succeed and why you spectacular failures like Anthem. The service Microsoft needs to incentivise is GamePass. Given people a reason to continue to keep paying for GamePass. If you can make a genuinely good GaaS as I assume Destiny is, then great, but trying to monetize games is a tightrope.

Microsoft/Rare

Just to correct you, it was a small team at Obsidian. Neither their typical genre or art style and they pulled off something that worked. They did benefit from Gamepass, as you point out, but also using early access to refine the game.

Redfall would have faired better as an early access launch at least, instead of the big Q2 one it was marketed as.

Just to correct you, it was a small team at Obsidian. Neither their typical genre or art style and they pulled off something that worked. They did benefit from Gamepass, as you point out, but also using early access to refine the game.

Redfall would have faired better as an early access launch at least, instead of the big Q2 one it was marketed as.

And Obsidian has extensive experience working with extremely limited budgets and still managing to turn out very compelling content. That might be the best studio that MS has picked up during the past few years of acquisitions (IMO, even higher than iD Software WRT output per dollar spend on budget). And I say that even though I really like Brian Fargo and what he's done at InXile. Obsidian is just on another level with what they can accomplish with a very limited budget.

Regards,
SB

On the other hand, I didn't follow the hype, and still disappointed by redfall.

Well a patch has finally dropped for Redfall. 19.5GB of it.

Had a little play with it and the streaming issues seem a lot better now. You can still get a bit of a delay as textures load but I haven't encountered any examples of really fugly low-res textures hanging around for 30s or so. Can't say for sure what else has changed. I'd guess that the enemy response is a bit better now, but I can't say I've played enough before or after to know for sure.

Arkane Studios detailed everything new in Redfall’s Game Update 2 in a blog post on its website. In addition to the performance mode, the update adds things stealth takedowns, more enemies in the open world, some changes to controller settings, improvements to screen narration, and a lot more. It seems like a pretty substantial patch.

Lol, game update 2? The game came out in may

Edit: It would actually be kind of awesome if they pulled a No Man's Sky with this game and turned it into something good, but I doubt there's enough money behind it, or people playing it.
On Steam, the game has had less than 50 players peak for months.

I look forward to hearing the story behind the game's development someday.

Last edited:
Back