Red Faction

I am loving this game.... Multiplayer is where it's at although I'lll probably finish the SP eventually. I mean MP is, rock the house, fun... I must laugh out loud or grunt or scream at something really cool once per match. :D

Siege is incredible, damage control and CTF wow.... most FUN, sans frustration, I've had playing online in a long time. :D

Incredibly well balanced and polished experience all around online

so nobody else picked this game up?

most fun I've had online EVER. It's be a great Friday night B3D crew game. :D

I'm so tempted. Is there a multiplayer demo? I tried the single player demo, and I liked the physics and everything, but not the missions.

And? Seriously considering clearing out some older games to grab this. . .

It's pretty good. The story missions are great, and in between them you get all the freedom you want to lower the EDF's control in an area, to unlock the final story mission before moving to the next area. You can destroy their target buildings, or do smaller missions for the Red Faction, like freeing hostage's, destroying a convoy, riding shotgun and blowing stuff up, ect.

It's a nice mix of driving and shooting action, and of course the destructable environments are brilliant. Taking buildings apart never gets old.

There are also som nice references to the first game which I thought was cool.

All and all it's been a great game so far. I still have 4 areas to liberate, and a lot of weapons to unlock.

The only thing I didn't like was when my PS3 locked up while saving, ruining both my save games, forcing my to start all over again. Luckily this is a great game to vent some anger.

The only thing I didn't like was when my PS3 locked up while saving, ruining both my save games, forcing my to start all over again. Luckily this is a great game to vent some anger.

You know it'll be a success when you vent your anger for the game by playing the game.

Last night I almost threw my controller across the room because of this game. In fact I would have done it if my wife hadn’t been there.

This might be a bit of a spoiler for the sensitive type.

So I was making my way through the final stages of the game last night and hit the final level where you drive a massive tank up the side of a mountain. It was chock full of massive explosions, overwhelming odds, white-knuckled excitement and...extreme frustration! Why the frustration you ask?

Well for the final level Volition decided to create a protracted and tricky road up the side of a mountain that eventually leads to the final boss. It’s filled with the meanest the EDF forces have to offer—but there isn’t a single checkpoint! That’s right--if you die you must start completely over at the very beginning of the level. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say it took me 3.5 hours to beat this one level. In fact my very LAST effort of the evening is when I finally beat it.

Certainly Volition isn’t the first developer to do this in the last level of their game, but playing it did stir up old feelings on the issue. I find it absolutely maddening when a developer does this in an effort to increase “game play time” or difficulty.

If you want to provide a more challenging experience then throw more bad guys at me, increase their toughness, pose ammo limitations, use a different vehicle, or even take away the protagonists legs (kidding)--but don’t take away checkpoints in a long and difficult level like this. I’m not the gamer I use to be when I was 13 having 80 hours a week to dedicate to gaming. I might be completely alone here—and I’m betting I’m not—but there is nothing amusing about playing the same frustrating level over and over and over and over and over and over again because of poor design choices.

Get this--roughly 2.5 hours into replaying the level I had finally made it all the way to the top of the mountain receiving the "Mission Accomplished!” Pausing the game I then cheered mightily--SUCCESS! I called my wife into the room to prove to her games will, in fact, one day bring the world closer and possibly cure cancer! I hugged my cat assuring her everything was one again right with the world and that she would one day end up in a painting above the fire mantel! Unpausing the game I found myself standing in front of the final boss’s tank and was instantly killed by two attacking jets from behind. I wasn’t too worried though--I had reached my checkpoint right? Mission accomplished? No?

No.

The game then started me waaaay back at the beginning of the level again. Man I've not reached a level of frustration since one of the final races in Burnout Paradise where my cars exploded because I was 1 inch way from another car.

This game does a decent job of saving the game often enough while placing you in the right spots if you die during a mission, but drastically changing that very system just for the last level is infuriating and honestly feels a bit cheap! It completely goes against what the game taught the player what he/she should expect since the beginning. Heck I’m surprised Volition didn’t take away all our guns too.

Look, overall I do really love this game for everything it has to offer in both the single and multiplayer experiences—but that design choices with the last level left a bad taste in my mouth unfortunately.

Here is a tip for that last level.

Try to make sure no vehicle's explode next to the tank. That will do the most damage to it by far. So instead crashing through barricades, try driving around them. You should be able to drive all the way up the mountain in one go like that. It's a bit counter intuitive for a tank to be able to stand up against all that enemy fire, and not be able to drive over their vehicle's, but that's the way it seems to have worked out in this game.

Also, if you want to complete every side mission. Do it before beating the last level. After that any remaining side missions have their difficulty increased.

Here is a tip for that last level.

Try to make sure no vehicle's explode next to the tank. That will do the most damage to it by far. So instead crashing through barricades, try driving around them. You should be able to drive all the way up the mountain in one go like that. It's a bit counter intuitive for a tank to be able to stand up against all that enemy fire, and not be able to drive over their vehicle's, but that's the way it seems to have worked out in this game.

Also, if you want to complete every side mission. Do it before beating the last level. After that any remaining side missions have their difficulty increased.

I actually used that strategy, and you're right it does help a lot, but I never really had that issue. It's good advice though.

I'm into my third area (Badlands?). Anyone have any pointers to which weapons are worth the cost and which should be avoided?

The game is decent enough, the graphics and music are great. The story is pretty thin so far and the missions get repetitive fast.

I'm into my third area (Badlands?). Anyone have any pointers to which weapons are worth the cost and which should be avoided?

The game is decent enough, the graphics and music are great. The story is pretty thin so far and the missions get repetitive fast.

It's strange, I haven't had the urge to do missions at all, I mostly run over to green dots and find blue dots to blow up.

I would say buy that electricity gun. It allows you to kill enemies inside vehicles, why blow up a tank if you can kill the driver and take the tank. It's also very good taking on multiple enemies at close range because it will immediately stun everyone it hits.

My favourite was the nano rifle though. It should be available to buy the badlands. With enough shots it can dissolve almost anything. You can take buildings appart piece by piece with it. It has great accuracy and range.

I would say most weapons you can buy are worth it. But also be on the lookout for weapons the EDF and Marauders leave behind. As soon as you pick a new weapon up it'll be available for you in the weapons locker.

I am almost done with SP but the real fun and genius in this game BY FAR is multiplayer. best new multiplayer experience in years

Back