Red Dead Redemption

Well, I am so happy today. My brother got married yesterday and I just wanted to say that seeing him in the most spectacular groom's suit ever was an amazing sight.

His classic suit reminded me of Red Dead Redemption and its outfits, based upon the clothes of the Wild West days. Great times, I think.

He is a die hard fan of Call of Juarez -he is a casual who never plays games, although he loved Call of Juarez and RDR (he played this one slightly less 'cos it was released later-) :smile: but I felt like mentioning this in this thread because the groom's suit resembles the suits of some people in RDR.

RDR is a masterpiece, imho, and I am not even into Rockstar games except this one.

That's really cool. Like this one...?

elegant-suit.jpg

Tommy McClain

That's really cool. Like this one...?

elegant-suit.jpg

Tommy McClain
Yes Tommy!!!!!!!! Almost spot on, it's very similar. The waistcoat (vest) was kind of bluish like the necktie and the jacket of the suit was longer -at the height of the knees or so-.

The thing is that I fell in love with the suit --it was love at first sight for me. I saw it yesterday after he put on the suit and I NEVER ever expected he would put something like that. :oops:

He was the source of so many laughs -sometimes to the point of laughing out with tears rolling down- and happy moments when playing those old west games (he is Fonydan in Xbox Live).

I dedicate this unique, wonderful -another song to fall in love with- to my brother Fon.

How can't you love a game which has a song like this?

Darn, listening to the song gives me the goosegumps. Btw, this is a photo of me -close-up- and my brother Fon -the fair haired guy by the left curling his hair- and some other people in an old place.
555757_251956654921421_1829378358_n.jpg

6071321981_c4738a6297_z.jpg

Love that song & every other one on that soundtrack.

Tommy McClain
That's an excellent and very original image, thanks for sharing.

I would also like to share something, a couple of fan trailers I really love.

That hope you are holding, throw it away, GTA5 port is what it will be.

That's the sort of complete non-announcement that wouldn't make anybody very happy. Taking the commentary from what I assume was the results from an Investors conference for Rockstar, I don't know how they can think they are going to get the bump for fiscal year 2015 (ending March 2015), by just releasing a next-gen GTA5.

Especially considering that everybody already knows there's references to PS4 in the code of GTA5. Or so the rumors say.

It looks like RDR took about 5 years to develop and was released in 2010, so I think it's very possible that something could be announced and shown at E3.

Then again, Diehard pretty much told us absolutely it was not going to happen and I'm wondering what he knows? Surely RDR2 is in development, the only question is whether or not it is far enough along to actually reveal.

That's the sort of complete non-announcement that wouldn't make anybody very happy. Taking the commentary from what I assume was the results from an Investors conference for Rockstar, I don't know how they can think they are going to get the bump for fiscal year 2015 (ending March 2015), by just releasing a next-gen GTA5.
This. GTA V sold over 30m copies on 360/PS3 which is a crazy amount. How many more copies would Rockstar expect to sell on nextgen?

We're probably closing on around 15m One/PS4 consoles in customers hands now and perhaps 25-30m by 31 March 2015. So how many of those folks will have missed GTA V on 360/PS3 and are looking to buy it on One/PS4 or are willing to buy it again? I really don't think there is a massive market to justify what will have been around 18 months development (GTA V shipped September 2013, the nextgen Rockstar title is due by March 2015).

Of course it could be new IP but I still really hope it's RDR2.

GTA5 will have strong legs on PS4/XB1, it won't sell another 30mil but it will do 5mil+ within the first year.
It's easy money.

GTA5 will have strong legs on PS4/XB1, it won't sell another 30mil but it will do 5mil+ within the first year.
It's easy money.
18 months development for 5m sales vs. 18 months development into something new that will sell perhaps another 30m. That's how publishers look at things. Rockstar and Take Two have never chased the low-hanging fruit.

GTA5 for nextgen will most likely be released together with new SP DLC pack for both oldgen and nextgen. That will fuel the sales on both generations.

GTAV on PC would sell very well on Steam as well, I think it's definitely worth a PC + Nextgen release.

18 months development for 5m sales vs. 18 months development into something new that will sell perhaps another 30m.

You realize that the development effort for a nextgen port of GTA V is in no way comparable to that of a complete game, right? It shouldn't require more than a few dozen engineers and technical artists, compared to the army of people who were building an entire game world and animating it and so on.

The investment in time and money is both a fraction of the cost of a new game, let alone another giant open-world RDR title.
And they did release a PC version of GTA IV also...

You realize that the development effort for a nextgen port of GTA V is in no way comparable to that of a complete game, right?
I'd debate that. The current engine is PPC based XB360 and PS3, so you'll need a complete engine rewrite. If you don't create new assets, they won't cost and extra, but if you are adding more stuff, you'll need just as much effort to create that stuff whether for a port or a new game. A next-gen version could be the same assets reproduced from source at a higher quality and then a lick of shaders and GI on top, but it wouldn't be a true next gen. A complete next-gen game that looks comparable to the others out there is going to need a lot of work from pretty much the ground up.

The absence of a PC version is perhaps proof positive that a port isn't that cheap, otherwise they're ignoring easy profit.

Now if a PC version did exist, then I'd agree that a next-gen console port would be a relatively cheap option. Up-porting from last-gen to this, and doing a good job, can't be all that cheap though.

The effort should be similar, but probably more simple, than it was porting GTA 4 to the PC. And the potential market is much bigger. Also, releasing a PC port before the nextgen consoles would work against their sales IMHO. It'd make more sense to release them all at the same time, and then they could leverage the engineering work across three platforms.

The new consoles should be strong enough to handle 2x the pixels with a bump in LOD levels for the scenery, and maybe better shaders, shadows and post or particle effects. PCs, I dunno, depends on a lot I guess.

As for the actual content, GTA V is a game that could really shine at 1080p native resolution, capable of displaying even more detail. No need to upgrade the assets for closer inspection IMHO as that's like 5% of the visual appeal. The large cityscapes and vistas full of people and cars and such look amazing just from the resolution bump. I'd argue it could look even more impressive than, say Watch Dogs, at least on stills.

Back