Recommendation: PS Vita games

Steer well clear of Akiba's Trip on the Vita. I like the premise, and I like how you win fights by stripping your enemies down to their undies. It plays like shit, though. The Vita version is just a complete mess from a technical point of view. If you want anime games you may think the Vita has you covered. Well, quantitavily speaking, that is most definitely true. Most of these games hail from the weird lolicon school of anime, though. More importantly, most of them are cheaply thrown together garbage you're not gonna like regardless of whether you can deal with that subject matter or not.

I couldn't get on with Ys unfortunately. Mostly due to how awful it looked. (which is not something that usually bothers me to such a degree. I finished Nier and I have 1000 gs in Bulletwitch :))

Here's a bunch of stuff I enjoyed:
Dragon's Crown: cannot go wrong with that one really. It's basically a side scrolling Diablo, but with a bigger emphasis on player skill. Looks gorgeous on the vita too.
One Piece Unlimited World Red: Another brawler type game. Love the boss battles and I also dig the visuals. This was primarily developed for the 3ds I believe, but an upgraded 3ds game seems to suit the Vita better than a crippled console port. It's colorful, quick and well optimized.
Both Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru: saccharine as shit, but also genuinely sweet. The ever present time pressure is probably a huge turn off for most gamers.

I think if you want a trafitional jrpg your best bet is still the FFX collection.

hmm...the One piece game seems to be not available on psn.

As for Ys, I really liked the time i had spent in Ys Seven, in fact thats what I plan on starting the moment I get my Vita tomorrow ( i hope) so I AM going to get celceta, just that I thought it would be better to finish Seven first. Otherwise I might not be ablet to go back to Seven because of the older gfx.

Each person I talk to seems to have a different view of these games, there seems to be no universally loved game other than Persona 4. So many ppl love Hyperdimension and Sword Art Online games while no one here suggesting them. People swear by Soul Sacrifice but I trust B3D views more. Its pretty confusing, this vita library :p ! I hope there are demos to test out on psn !

So many people love them? Who? I don't think a single HN game (and there are plenty to go around by now) managed to get as much as one positive review thus far.

I bought the One Piece game on PSN, by the way. So unless they got rid of it, it should still be there I guess.

Every anime-like game on the vita, other than persona and Ys, seems to be over sexualised ! What happened to cool anime ? -_-

As for One piece Unlimited Red, maybe it's on US Psn but not EU? Since I cannot switch accounts on the vita, I can only access EU content and it doesn't show up in the search there :(

I Bought it from the German PSN store. Doubt the EU one is drastically different. It's still there, by the way. Are you accessing the store straight from the Vita, or did you use a browser? (the latter is what I did when I was looking for it) I also don't really wanna oversell it here. It's a fun, colorful, flashy and relatively simplistic brawler that feels very much at home on a portable system. It's not going to win awards, but I really enjoyed it for what it was. Some degree of appreciation for the trademark zaniness of One Piece obviously helps.

Last edited:
Weird...then why can't I find it ? I haven't received my vita yet, I too am browsing on PC and just cannot find it :( on the Indian store (replica of EU, including release timings and all). I like its colours and style , the non serious vibe and button mashy gameplay for chilling out...I want it :( !

Last edited:
What do you mean? I'm basically saying that the Hyperdimension Neptunias, Monster Monpieces and Criminal Girls of this world (and the Vita section on the PSN is literally being flooded with this kind of cheaply produced crap) all share a weird obsession with little girls in skimpy outfits. I have zero problems with sexualization in general (Go DoA girls!), but that kinda stuff I do find rather off-putting.

Last edited:
Ya all i see is that on Psn. I was so looking forward to playing anime stylised games, looks like I will have to stick to Ys and Persona games.

Each person I talk to seems to have a different view of these games, there seems to be no universally loved game other than Persona 4. So many ppl love Hyperdimension and Sword Art Online games while no one here suggesting them. People swear by Soul Sacrifice but I trust B3D views more. Its pretty confusing, this vita library :p ! I hope there are demos to test out on psn !

Sword art online and soul sacrifice looks like shit, and sounds like shit.

The animation also horrendous. Dunno about the gameplay.

But sword art online is really making me annoyed. It have beautiful 3d videos that looks like real-time rendered but the game 3d is super shit looking.

Maybe you could try the Danganronpa games. Supposedly they're great. I'm just not into the whole visual novel/game genre, so I wouldn't know. Just don't get the one they've made exclusively for the Vita (Ultra Despair Girls I believe it's called). It's a weird shooter/visual novel hybrid, and as far as I can tell from what little I played of it, both halfs seem equally bad. And like I said, the Atelier games are cute too, and in a good way.

What do you mean? I'm basically saying that the Hyperdimension Neptunias, Monster Monpieces and Criminal Girls of this world (and the Vita section on the PSN is literally being flooded with this kind of cheaply produced crap) all share a weird obsession over little girls in skimpy outfits. I have zero problems with sexualization in general (Go DoA girls!), but that kinda stuff I do find rather off-putting.

Yeah, Japan seems unable to get out from 'skimpy weird outfit'... And ps vita game is full of it.

@RenegadeRocks
tales of blah blah blah R looks ugly, super slow story, horrible audio quality, ridiculous woman outfit.

But the battle is fun.

@ridiculous outfit
It seems Destiny has spoiled me that, woman can have proper outfit. Can have proper role.

Man and woman also can wear ridiculous outfit while not overly sexualized.

And the most important thing, SWORD DOESN'T HAVE TO BE AS BIG AS CONCRERE PILLARS

Soul Sacrifice doesn't look like shit at all. It entertained me for quite a while too. Like most boss hunt type games, the repetition and the need for grinding eventually killed it for me. Too bad because it's telling a rather compelling tale while also being quite the departure from your average Monster Hunter clone in many ways.

Maybe you could try the Danganronpa games. Supposedly they're great. I'm just not into the whole visual novel/game genre, so I wouldn't know. Just don't get the one they've made exclusively for the Vita (Ultra Despair Girls I believe it's called). It's a weird shooter/visual novel hybrid, and as far as I can tell from what little I played of it, both halfs seem equally bad. And like I said, the Atelier games are cute too, and in a good way.
What exactly is the gameplay of the Atelier series though? I don't get much, all I see is ppl doing things in menus. Tried to watch random videos from walkthroughs but all I see is menus/inventories.
As for Soul Sacrifice I am downloading the demo for that to chk it out.

As for Danganrompa, I was watching its videos while on the go to chk out what the gameplay is about. Never played a visual novel ever, so have no idea what to expect.

@orangepelupa: I don't think tales game is on Psn though. I would have just picked up one piece Unlimited Red for now if it was available.

I wish Dragons crown had a demo, I don't want a serious game, that's all. Have enough on ps4/3. That's why I was looking towards anime.l,also to explore new stuff. I just see myself running in circles as of now ...lol

Dragon's Crown is about as serious as Final Fight was back in the day.

Atelier games are light rpgs with fun albeit rather simple turn-based combat and with a heavy emphasis on crafting items (like, let's say, bombs you can use during combat) via alchemy. The biggest usp of the series is that it's also a time management game. Your quests usually have expiration dates (especially your main quests), and everything you do in the game, whether it's brewing stuff in your trusty cauldron, traveling, fighting, looting, or sleeping, takes up fixed amounts of time. While this puts a good deal of pressure on the player, it also conveys a sense of urgency that's usually lacking in most rpgs. That said, the time limits have grown more and more generous with each new game in the series. I hear it's a mostly cosmetic touch now.

I really like Trails in the Sky. It is one of the best JRPGs I have ever played. It doesn't matter that it is a PSP game, it feels really good on Vita as well.

Soul sacrifice delta looks ugly to my eyes. The rpg where you are a prisoner with 1 million years jail time looks better (forgot the game title).

Btw one of the most fun I had on vita was on simple games like Thomas was alone and solar powered futuristic car race thing (forgot the title). Much more fun than need for speed lol.

Agh my vita now only act as a pedestal to put a glass of tea. Usually I used it as remote play device but since I also want to hack it, I can't update.... Remoteplay no longer works.

lol Maybe thats why u have a negative view of most games :p ! WHo knows.

anyways my Vita just arrived and turns out transferring games from ps3 to vita takes a lot of time ! WTH ! and why in the world can't we do this with the ps4?

Anyways, I am gonna load up everything and then jump into my Ys seven and Persona ! I am also excited for Bastion and NFS, honestly.

also, guys it just came to me, how bout the Jak trilogy ! I never played a Jak game on the ps2, played RnC 1 mostly and then all RnC games that came on the ps3. Hmm....that sets me thinking, will these ps2 games hold up the test of time. Can I enjoy Up your Arsenal or Jak 3 now? Neer played RnC 2 and 3 and never played a Jak game before !

Back