Real Time Blue Dragon Trailer

Shifty Geezer said:
Like I've said, if this game is like standard turn-based JRPG fare, mostly you're walking around empty scenery with but a couple of characters. You do that a lot in FFX but I don't remember anyone complaining about a lack of things on screen. That has to be likely. I can't see that this is an action game with lots of characters and monsters all over the place when we have seen a single screenshot to suggest as much.

yes you have right. I dont know why but i was under impression that BD will be more like fable .

To be quiet honnest, I'm not impress at all. The only thing that look good is the water, everything else looks pretty bland. Just IMO

I hope you're looking at more than just that one screen...

blue-dragon-20060523093557691.jpg

The artwork and style is fantastic; even if not your tastes you should be able to see how well it all works together and creates a feel of it's own. The trailer showed great city scenes. This to me is a real example of next-gen, with a class and fidelity that current-gen couldn't match. I think the DOF is very well implemented and adds a lot to the artistic view too. I can't see anything to fault the visuals on myself.

Shifty Geezer said:
I hope you're looking at more than just that one screen...

blue-dragon-20060523093557691.jpg

The artwork and style is fantastic; even if not your tastes you should be able to see how well it all works together and creates a feel of it's own. The trailer showed great city scenes. This to me is a real example of next-gen, with a class and fidelity that current-gen couldn't match. I think the DOF is very well implemented and adds a lot to the artistic view too. I can't see anything to fault the visuals on myself.

Nice , that certainly looks impressive but the art style reminds me to much of A . Toriyama style.

edit

bah the art is from Toriyama.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly nice, but just not my type of.....setting? I'd prefer a more "mature" game, but then I'd probably end up with DBZ anyway. :p

Makes me sad that Toriyama gets so much damn play, but we don't see the likes of Masamune Shirow creating massive game landscapes to revel in. (Plus we'd get to see some more sci-fi! :p )

Hell, I'd prefer Johji Manabe (Outlanders, Caravan Kidd) over Toriyama as well in that same direction. (Cutesy and cartoonish and plenty of anthro, mixed with the propensity for violence and humor simultaneously, only Manabe could also draw amazingly complex scenes, nice super-deformity, and his facial features aren't so damn offputting. [I find Toriyama's always too severe and angular.] )

Admittedly there's probably some anti-DBZ stigma in his art for me now (Dragonball was hilarious, but DBZ is an exercise in prolonged torture), but still developers... C'mon! There are plenty more and plenty better out there!

Akira Toriyama also does the artwork for the Dragon Quest series. It's not terrible, but it has become the stereotypical Japanese animation style. And Dragon Quest is as big as Final Fantasy (if not bigger) in Japan. I don't think hiring the artist that designs characters for such a popular series, though, will win you a blockbuster.

And I'm sure that the game is highly anticipated in Japan, by the hardcore gamers who fill out these surveys. I doubt the general Japanese populous is frothing at the mouth for such a game.

OtakingGX said:
Akira Toriyama also does the artwork for the Dragon Quest series. It's not terrible, but it has become the stereotypical Japanese animation style. And Dragon Quest is as big as Final Fantasy (if not bigger) in Japan. I don't think hiring the artist that designs characters for such a popular series, though, will win you a blockbuster.

And I'm sure that the game is highly anticipated in Japan, by the hardcore gamers who fill out these surveys. I doubt the general Japanese populous is frothing at the mouth for such a game.

Well, what they've done is reunite the lead designer, artist, and musician from Chrono Trigger, while that still might not guarantee anything, it's not like they just 'hired an artist.' Sakaguchi has made game or two in his time, and the musical score should also be top notch.

scooby_dooby said:
Well, what they've done is reunite the lead designer, artist, and musician from Chrono Trigger, while that still might not guarantee anything, it's not like they just 'hired an artist.' Sakaguchi has made game or two in his time, and the musical score should also be top notch.
I really don't like this kind of thing... OMG IT'S CHRONO TRIGGER!! It's not folks, stop deluding yourselves. It CAN be a good game without having a super amazing pedigree, so relax about having to talk it up like that.

Yasunori Mitsuda was the musician in charge of CT, Uematsu and another composer (the name escapes me) were brought in near the end of the project, due to Mitsuda getting sick, to finish a few remaining tracks, ~10. Also, what's with this they didn't just "hire an artist" stuff? That's what Toriyama is, what's so wrong about that? OR are you suggesting that because Toriyama is involved, it suddenly takes on more meaning? He's an extremely well known artist that's also extremely well respected, but he's not magical, you know. By the way, where does Sakaguchi fit on the compendium of importance with respect to Chrono Trigger...? the man served only as a supervisor...

cthellis42 said:
Hell, I'd prefer Johji Manabe (Outlanders, Caravan Kidd) over Toriyama as well in that same direction. (Cutesy and cartoonish and plenty of anthro, mixed with the propensity for violence and humor simultaneously, only Manabe could also draw amazingly complex scenes, nice super-deformity, and his facial features aren't so damn offputting. [I find Toriyama's always too severe and angular.] )
Isn't manabe doing H stuff now under studio katsudon? I dunno how well he'd go over with the public, but I sure as heck would love to play that game!!!! :devilish:

Mefisutoferesu said:
I really don't like this kind of thing... OMG IT'S CHRONO TRIGGER!! It's not folks, stop deluding yourselves. It CAN be a good game without having a super amazing pedigree, so relax about having to talk it up like that.
I think the idea is getting the name noticed in Japan. Like movies from unknown directors, if it has a popular big-name actor it might get more attention than otherwise. This game is on a platform that is next to meaningless in Japan, so all the attention you can get for it is worthwhile. If the developers are name synonymous with quality and games worth having in Japan, that'll garner interest in this game. Whether the game is actually good or not is entirely a different matter!

I don't know if it will actually work, of course, but this sort of thing does frequently work, in Japan. It's a very brand-conscious, theme-addicted socety, compared with America. Although there are many similarities, in that we have our own icons, just differently-styled, the Japanese tend to be more tolerant of repitition, "classic" look and feel, and of simple, less 'gritty' themes, whether it's a young boy's quest to find his parents, surrealist, nonsensical, but addictively cute/hyper/bouncy games, or the (perhaps more sociologically complex, but equally camp) games that are basically excuses to look up virtual girls' skirts. They're NOT the same as Americans and they DO need to be pandered to, in their own way. They're fine with sequels, they're fine with reminiscence, they're fine with cartoony, and they're GREAT with toriyama and anything in Shonen Jump. This is a great step by MS. My only complaint -- they should have done this four years ago, at least. How this managed to elude them for this long baffles me, and they are indeed liklely to need more than one 'kliller app' to sell enough x360s to compete with ps3.

Shifty Geezer said:
I think the idea is getting the name noticed in Japan. Like movies from unknown directors, if it has a popular big-name actor it might get more attention than otherwise. This game is on a platform that is next to meaningless in Japan, so all the attention you can get for it is worthwhile. If the developers are name synonymous with quality and games worth having in Japan, that'll garner interest in this game. Whether the game is actually good or not is entirely a different matter!
Right... I don't really have an issue with that per say. That's mostly the reason why (IMO) Sakaguchi chose Toriyama... he works on Dragon Quest and this is supposed to be Xbox's Dragon Quest, so they want the association and big name reference. That's perfectly reasonable.

What I have a problem with is, basically, just making stuff up and heaping credit on those who don't deserve it, espically (and, yeah, this is probably just my cynical self popping up) when it seems to be done in order to push a specific agenda. Scooby's talking like it's the Chrono Trigger reunion team working on this game, and thus it's gonna be brilliant and so on. That's just not the case at all. Uematsu's role was very small in the overall scoring of the game, as was Sakaguchi's role as supervisor, but he makes it out to be like they're the creative force behind the game when that's not the case, completely ignoring Horii, Aoki, Kato, Mitsuda, and Kitase's (to name a few) importance. It's the equivalent (well, being a bit egregious here) of saying, "standing man #1 and #2 from Citizen Kane are going to be in White Chicks, that movie's gonna be AWESOME!" It's just a ridiculous comment that totally insults everything about the work and its crew.

Blah, I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill here, so I'll just stop, but the point I was trying to get across this whole rant is don't go saying XYZ game will be good because it's being made by ABC dev when it's being made by QRS dev just so you can justify and hype the game. Have some faith, it's demeaning to both devs ABC and QRS. I hope my point's a bit clearer... it's probably more confusing now... :cry:
poopypoo said:
I don't know if it will actually work, of course, but this sort of thing does frequently work, in Japan. It's a very brand-conscious, theme-addicted socety, compared with America. Although there are many similarities, in that we have our own icons, just differently-styled, the Japanese tend to be more tolerant of repitition, "classic" look and feel, and of simple, less 'gritty' themes, whether it's a young boy's quest to find his parents, surrealist, nonsensical, but addictively cute/hyper/bouncy games, or the (perhaps more sociologically complex, but equally camp) games that are basically excuses to look up virtual girls' skirts. They're NOT the same as Americans and they DO need to be pandered to, in their own way. They're fine with sequels, they're fine with reminiscence, they're fine with cartoony, and they're GREAT with toriyama and anything in Shonen Jump. This is a great step by MS. My only complaint -- they should have done this four years ago, at least. How this managed to elude them for this long baffles me, and they are indeed liklely to need more than one 'kliller app' to sell enough x360s to compete with ps3.
:mad: Please, they NEED to be pandered to? Excuse to look up virtual skirts? Ugh! Human beings are human beings. Just because they have a different cultural background and tastes doesn't suddenly mean they don't think like a human. People need to stop using Japanese videogaming subculture as measuring stick for their entire culture. Or maybe they should take a look around at their own subculture? Ask any western videogame geek whether he'd look up a virtual girl's skirt. The noble westerner will deny it, I'm so sure. Or, hey, ask the tv sitcom writers about repitition, I'm sure they have nothing favorable to mention. Don't forget to chat with EA and Ubisoft about originality. I'm really sick of how people treat other cultures like they're freaking aliens.

Mefisutoferesu said:

Yasunori Mitsuda was the musician in charge of CT, Uematsu and another composer (the name escapes me) were brought in near the end of the project, due to Mitsuda getting sick, to finish a few remaining tracks, ~10. Also, what's with this they didn't just "hire an artist" stuff? That's what Toriyama is, what's so wrong about that? OR are you suggesting that because Toriyama is involved, it suddenly takes on more meaning? He's an extremely well known artist that's also extremely well respected, but he's not magical, you know. By the way, where does Sakaguchi fit on the compendium of importance with respect to Chrono Trigger...? the man served only as a supervisor...

Isn't manabe doing H stuff now under studio katsudon? I dunno how well he'd go over with the public, but I sure as heck would love to play that game!!!! :devilish:

Ya ya, we know you have absolutely no respect for Sakaguchi and what he's done in his career. You must have made your point about 12 times by now.

My point is not "OMG it's CHRONO TRIGGER!1!1!" it's that, it's not like some unknown developer just hired Toriyama and that's it, You got Sakaguchi at the helm, Toriyama doing art, and Uematsu doing the music. That is a recipe for a great game, I know you are extremely pessimistic, but I'm not. FF2 & 3 were my favourite FF's ever, and the art style in Chrono Trigger is also some of my favourite of all time. Uematsu's music is trademark SE style too which should really add to the feel.

So please, excuse us if we're a little excited for this game.

p.s. You've stated about six times how I keep claiming this game will be "fantastic" and "brilliant." The fact is I've never ONCE claimed this game will definately be good. That's just you, coming up with things I've never even said, so you can go off on your 15th tirade about how useless sakaguchi is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mefisutoferesu said:
Yeah, trust me, Manabe pissed me off more than enough when he "went rogue." :p I used him as an example from his classic goodness, and in a way wanted interested people to look him up some. Heh...

Caravan Kidd is almost unheard of, and it and Outlanders (the manga, not the craptastic anime) are way too good to be unheard of! <snf>

Like I said, it just makes me sad. I know of very few mangaka who get used in games outside of games directly based off their series, and certainly none who get the play Toriyama does. At least not in games that make it across the border.

Mefisutoferesu said:
:mad: Please, they NEED to be pandered to? Excuse to look up virtual skirts? Ugh! Human beings are human beings. Just because they have a different cultural background and tastes doesn't suddenly mean they don't think like a human. People need to stop using Japanese videogaming subculture as measuring stick for their entire culture. Or maybe they should take a look around at their own subculture? Ask any western videogame geek whether he'd look up a virtual girl's skirt. The noble westerner will deny it, I'm so sure. Or, hey, ask the tv sitcom writers about repitition, I'm sure they have nothing favorable to mention. Don't forget to chat with EA and Ubisoft about originality. I'm really sick of how people treat other cultures like they're freaking aliens.
I'm trying to see things from their (Microsoft's) point of view. 9_9 Americans aren't intrinsically different from Japanese, no, but if you're going to sit there and tell me MS should try and win them over with Madden, Madden, and more Madden (and a new Myst, for an RPG?), then, I wont' bother talking to you. This is obviously an exaggeration I'm working with here, but to get back on topic, we have a thread full of a few dozen US and European gamers, mostly, who are complaining that the art style of Blue Dragon is too kiddy and cartoony, that the style looks hackneyed, and that MS did the wrong thing by assembling a team of top-flight jRPG designers. Humanism aside, the fact that I don't like hackneyed jRPGs aside, the fact that a thousand pretty screenshots has never a good game made, aside -- don't you think that all the kids in Japan (not to mention all the jRPG fans aroudn the world) will love this formula? Even if the game is terrible, it will still probably be better than MS's next-best effort, IMO. :p

poopypoo said:
I'm trying to see things from their (Microsoft's) point of view. 9_9 Americans aren't intrinsically different from Japanese, no, but if you're going to sit there and tell me MS should try and win them over with Madden, Madden, and more Madden (and a new Myst, for an RPG?), then, I wont' bother talking to you. This is obviously an exaggeration I'm working with here, but to get back on topic, we have a thread full of a few dozen US and European gamers, mostly, who are complaining that the art style of Blue Dragon is too kiddy and cartoony, that the style looks hackneyed, and that MS did the wrong thing by assembling a team of top-flight jRPG designers. Humanism aside, the fact that I don't like hackneyed jRPGs aside, the fact that a thousand pretty screenshots has never a good game made, aside -- don't you think that all the kids in Japan (not to mention all the jRPG fans aroudn the world) will love this formula? Even if the game is terrible, it will still probably be better than MS's next-best effort, IMO. :p

No, not at all... I'm not suggesting that Japan has the same taste as the west, I never even implied that. How do I put this clearly... just because one may have different tastes/aesthetics does not mean their mentality towards things is different, let alone inferior/superior. Your entire post basically came off as reading that Japanese gamers need panty shots and like repetitive game play, while we westerners are above all that. That's silly. Look at western gaming, we've got female characters with quintuple D breasts shooting dinosaurs and endless "yet another generic FPS where you just shoot things", yet it's only the Japanese that need the repetitive game play and boobies? Come on, it's the same story just with different actors. That's all I'm saying, gamers are gamers are gamers.

As to people complaining about it being kiddy, is that because they're westerners or because they don't like the kiddy stuff? Do you think if it was more Disney-ish they'd suddenly be OK with it? I doubt it. Also, checking the thread... I think Silenti is pretty much the ONLY one here complaining about the aesthetic.

As to the formula being a sure win, I think that's more precept ion than reality. If that was the case, all the anime to game ports that get 5s and 4s wouldn't sell like the garbage they do and are.

System seller, or a seller for a system ;)
I think it'll have a hard time convincing Japanese non xbox360 owners to get the console with the Wii and PS3 already being available by then.

Back