Is it worthwile/worth it?

• full of adware/crap-not worth it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't use it for whatever reason

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The549

Regular
The last time I used real player was years ago on my iBook...and if you don't know apple os's, then i can say it's extremely easy to tell when a program puts a shit load of extensions and adware/advertising on your mac.
But now, I keep coming up with many sites that use .ram (mainly sites regarding drumming). For the past years I have never even though about touching that program....but it's been a while, and I never actually tried it on my own pc.
Are there any alternatives, and is it worth it either way? Thanks!

I was messing around downloading realplayer only yesterday,got cheesed off with all the details required just for trial copy so I deleted it.

Just tried the 'real alternative' & it works o.k. had a minor lockup on one or two videos playing, possibly because remnants of original still on my system.

'Edit'Now got it running perfect

Will it work with something like NFL Field Pass, where you browse the content within Real player?

Personally I use MPC (Media Player Classic), which has now builtin support for realmedia and quicktime (although you still have to install quicktime, but don't have to use the player then - it only needs the codec. i'm not sure if you need realplayer installed to be able to play realmedia files.)

Rambler said:
i'm not sure if you need realplayer installed to be able to play realmedia files.)
MPC comes bundled with Real Alternative as the default player, so you never need to instal Real Player itself. I've used Real Alternative for ages and it works great - and automatically installs plugins for Opera, FireFox, Moz etc. too.

It doesn't seem to work for me.....It always tells me that the requested file was not found; the link may be be outdated or inaccurate.
Any suggestions?

I already installed real alternative, rmc, and a k-lite codec package and it's not working. And yes I found them on google before posting.

I bought RealOne a year or so ago and haven't had any problems with it. No spyware or anything like that. No popups either. Yea, you have to dig through a lot of settings to avoid that stuff, but it's ok. :)

Natoma, what exactly did you do to RealOne? My friend put it on his laptop (with 1GB of RAM) and everything just went to crap almost immediatedly after. :?

Personally I say avoid RealOne like the plague. It's horribly bloated and in the fine AOL tradition its tendrils will reek havoc throughout your system. MPC/RealAlternative is your best option.

akira888 said:
Natoma, what exactly did you do to RealOne? My friend put it on his laptop (with 1GB of RAM) and everything just went to crap almost immediatedly after. :?

Personally I say avoid RealOne like the plague. It's horribly bloated and in the fine AOL tradition its tendrils will reek havoc throughout your system. MPC/RealAlternative is your best option.

I just uncheck everything. I made it a barebones player with a bunch of plugins. No sharing data, even "anonymously," with Real. Nothing, nadda, zippo. Runs like a charm.

Back