RE4 announced for PS2.

Yeah, if Nintendo leaves Capcom in the dust, Capcom will only have Xbox, PS2, PC and PSP to develop for. I'd be surprised if Capcom could manage to scrape together a living from those markets.

And how many Xbox and PC games have Capcom sold?

The point is that its not a good idea for Capcom to cut themselves off at this time just because of one game's possible profits on another platform. Re4 would have sold extrememly well just on the Cube if marketed well, but Capcom had to get cold feet.

I guess we will see if it was a good decision or not in time, but until then I think that they have shot themselves in the foot.

Inane_Dork said:
Yeah, if Nintendo leaves Capcom in the dust, Capcom will only have Xbox, PS2, PC and PSP to develop for. I'd be surprised if Capcom could manage to scrape together a living from those markets.

Hmm.. Have you seen RE4 recently? Have you any idea how much it costs to find/build and keep such talent? Not that I do, but I'm sure Capcom will be in for a big disappointment loosing a team like that and all the know-how they've been investing in in the last couple of years.

There's no doubt its a very stupid move from Capcom. Not neccesarily to bring Res Evil 4 to PS2, although I don't think that will be a particularly good move either, but to announced it just months before the GC version releases. After all what does it accomplish? It merely hurts the release of there own game for no good reason, sheer stupidity. I thought it was crazy enough when they delayed the game from Christmas to just over a week later (missing the big shopping season by a few days is insanity). But now this.. it seems that Capcom are doing everything in there power to screw up the release of a great game (there biggest game in a long time).

Still just to bring some people back down to earth here. Res Evil 4 is still exclusive to GC for a year (a lot longer then a lot of exclusives on other systems). By the time it comes out for PS2 this generation will either be on its death bed or completely over.

RE games were always whored around anyway.
The timing of the announcement though, did no favors to Capcom and Nintendo. How will PS2 handle the port is up in the air, in addition to the long 1 year wait, the blow is not that bad.

Teasy said:
There's no doubt its a very stupid move from Capcom. Not neccesarily to bring Res Evil 4 to PS2, although I don't think that will be a particularly good move either

Bringing back the RE serie to the Playstation might be the smartest move Capcom did in ages. Though the serie slowly went under. Is it because of the game itself of because of the GC, we cannot be categoric about that.
But we can be categoric about the fact that to help bringing the serie back on track they have to port it to the Playstation too (and maybe Xbox, since the RE are a strong franchise in the west).

Teasy said:
Still just to bring some people back down to earth here. Res Evil 4 is still exclusive to GC for a year (a lot longer then a lot of exclusives on other systems). By the time it comes out for PS2 this generation will either be on its death bed or completely over.

Bring who back to earth? I didn't see anyone going all out in this thread?
BTW the problem is not the temporary exclusivity or not, it's the fact that some people that were about to buy a GC just for RE4, won't do it.
Not that it'd change GC fate, though.

Also when this version wiil come out the PS2 will be nowhere but on shelves and in +75M homes, just like the PSone a few years ago (more actually). Just for the record, Harry Potter for the PSone (released, really, after PS2 launched, not the game, but the console) sold millions (Even EA didn't see that coming).

Teasy said:
After all what does it accomplish? It merely hurts the release of there own game for no good reason, sheer stupidity. I thought it was crazy enough when they delayed the game from Christmas to just over a week later (missing the big shopping season by a few days is insanity). But now this.. it seems that Capcom are doing everything in there power to screw up the release of a great game (there biggest game in a long time).

a believe the above sums up things pretty well on this whole account. somebody at capcom should be decapitated and then his head should be hung in the company hall of shame - the guy managed to incur quite some losses to his company with a single act of stupidity. a year from now customers will care much less about today's RE4, it's just that the interest of customers now has been lowered as well.

Vysez said:
Also when this version wiil come out the PS2 will be nowhere but on shelves and in +75M homes, just like the PSone a few years ago (more actually). Just for the record, Harry Potter for the PSone (released, really, after PS2 launched) sold millions (Even EA didn't see that coming).

harry potter's target market has nada in common with RE's target market. RE is not the sort of game most parents would buy to their children for christmas. when it comes to game customers differentiation there's a category called 'hard core gamers' and then there's 'holidays shoppers' - guess which group RE was originally targeted at, and how those potential buyers would react to this 'but wait, there's more!' announcement.

Vysez

It is a good idea to bring Res Evil back to Playstation, and every other system yes. But only after its been released as the big new Res Evil with hype aplenty (exclusitity is part of that hype as it often is). The series should only have been annoinced to be coming back to other systems after it was released on GC, not before.

Also the current series started to go under well before it moved to GC. Res Evil 4 was the big change in the series and if its as good a game as has been reported then that would be the game to judge GC and Res Evil by. To change tak now based on sales of 'the same old res evil games with new graphics" is a rushed panic decision. Its a bad one as well (especially since those games sold as well if not better then some previous games in the series).

Bring who back to earth? I didn't see anyone going all out in this thread?

BTW the problem is not the temporary exclusivity or not, it's the fact that some people that were about to buy a GC just for RE4, won't do it.

Well some people are blowing the situation out of proportion. To the point where some are talking almost as if the game is now multiplatform and not an exclusive. One year of exclusivity is still a big deal and its a lot more then a lot of 'exclusive' games get.

The notion that nobody will buy a GC for Res Evil 4 just because its on PS2 a year later is another exagerations. The kind of people who would buy a system for a single game are not usually the type of people to wait a year for a game they really want when they could have it straight away. Especially since these kind of people will be early adopters of next gen systems and considering the cheap price of GC (likely to be $70 around the time RE4 is out).

This announcement will effect Res Evil 4 sales on GC to some degree, it will also effect GC sales to some degree. But it will not stop Res Evil 4 having any effect on GC sales.

Teasy,

We'll just agree to disagree, then. ;)

darkblu said:
when it comes to game customers differentiation there's a category called 'hard core gamers' and then there's 'holidays shoppers' - guess which group RE was originally targeted at, and how those potential buyers would react to this 'but wait, there's more!' announcement.

:?: RE just like GTA is a pure mainstream product, the PSone versions solds Millions. There's no such thing as a Multi millions seller "Hardcore gamer" game. Because it's nowhere Hardcore, it's plain and simple mainstream.
"Family games" are no more the best sellers.

For the records, and to backup my claims, here the 10 best seller on PS2 in the US (source NPD):

Grand Thert Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto 3
Gran Turismo A-Spec
Madden NFL 2004
Madden NFL 2003
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs
Final Fantasy X
Medal of Honor Flontline
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Need For Speed: Underground

BTW, i choosed the HP example to deny the idea that a game can't sell boatload after the next-gen consoles entered the market. :D

Since you apparently know the sales of past Res Evil games Vysez. What were the sales of the few Res Evil games released before Res Evil and Res Evil 0 on GC?

Teasy,

Where are you getting a "year" between releases idea? The GC version comes out in January, and the PS2 at the end of the year. End of the year, can mean anywhere from october to december IMO. Whatever way you spin it, it's going to be less than a year.

It's a timed exclusive now. Just like how splinter cell was a timed exclusive. I don't understand why you want to spin it into "it's a better exclusive deal than other exclusives" for. That just seems like you're trying way too hard to make yourself happy.

Capcom made a good move. If you look at the target demographics of a title like that, you'll find WAY more people willing to buy it on PS2 than you would GC. There won't be any hurt feelings at Nintendo (they aren't in a postion to hold grudges anymore), and this won't canablize sales for those that really want it. Capacom doesn't care if it moves gamecube or not. They just want sales of that game to be worth MORE than the cost of development. We all know the 3rd party woes on GC.

Capcom needs to make money, and as I said when the capcom titles were annouced, I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't stay exclusive. In the end, It's all about the money. If you don't agree, then I can see why you aren't making games ;)

It started going bad with Code Veronica (A little more than 1M copies WW, most of the sales were made in the US), the PS2 version did a little better (~1,5M).
We can also argue that RE3 Nemesis wasn't on par with its 2 predecessors, but still it manage to sold around 2M, IIRC.

The Code Veronica example shows us that Capcom shouldn't have made the RE serie exclusive to one console. IMHO, of course.

Quincy

Capcom said end of the year, not fourth quarter. I take end of the year to mean Christmas 2005. But lets assume for a second that Capcom actually meant 4th quarter when they said "end of the year". Lets also assume it will actually release then (and not be delayed). That would mean we would assume November, which is still 10 months. Either way its basically a year so lets not get pedantic.

Yes Res Evil 4 is a timed exclusive, as I said. Some people need to be reminded of that, it is still exclusive and its exclusive for a good while. The fact that its a longer exclusive then a lot of other exclusive games is nothing to do with spinning anything. Its fact and helps remind some people in this thread that they are blowing this situation out of proportion.

BTW I am not making games for a simple reason. I am not a computer programmer and never wanted to work for a games company ;) The fact that I disagree with you, or you disagree with me has nothing to do with it. If you think that announcing that a game won't be exclusive to a system 2 months before its release for that system is a good idea then I fear for whatever company you work for. It only distracts from the initial release of the game, which is bad for the game and bad for Capcom. There's no other way to look at it.

It was a stupid idea to make RE a Cube exclusive to begin with. What was Capcom thinking when they put Maximo on PS2 and RE on Cube. It should have been the other way around. It's smart for them to reverse their earlier poor decision and put RE on PS2.

It's pretty sad that Cube's 3rd party exclusive support is almost zero now. Geist and Baten Kaitos are basically irrelevant.

It'll be interesting to see whether Cube can avoid getting completely buried this year by Halo 2 and GTA:SA/MGS3/GT4.

Revolution better be more than a microphone attached to a board game if Nintendo wants to compete next generation.

Teasy said:
Yes Res Evil 4 is a timed exclusive, as I said. Some people need to be reminded of that, it is still exclusive and its exclusive for a good while.

On a side note, we don't know if it still a real exclusivity, understand that there's a contract and the "Only for" on the box, or if it's just a forced exclusivity. Forced by the fact that the PS2 version is not ready for a simultaneous launch.

I must stress the fact this side note doesn't change your point about the fact that the GC has a 10 month exclusivity in NTSC territories.

Bohdy said:
The point is that its not a good idea for Capcom to cut themselves off at this time just because of one game's possible profits on another platform. Re4 would have sold extrememly well just on the Cube if marketed well, but Capcom had to get cold feet.
Given past trends, there's only good reason to believe RE4 would be a solid seller for the GC. RE games on the GC never sold as well as expected, and RE4 has to compete with all the previous titles, too. There just is not good reason to expect RE4 would have been an extremely good seller on the Cube.

Kalin said:
Hmm.. Have you seen RE4 recently? Have you any idea how much it costs to find/build and keep such talent? Not that I do, but I'm sure Capcom will be in for a big disappointment loosing a team like that and all the know-how they've been investing in in the last couple of years.
I don't see why Capcom must lose employees to make a PS2 port. Can you explain that, please? Any reports about Mikami's extreme disappointment are premature at this point.

Teasy said:
There's no doubt its a very stupid move from Capcom. Not neccesarily to bring Res Evil 4 to PS2, although I don't think that will be a particularly good move either, but to announced it just months before the GC version releases. After all what does it accomplish? It merely hurts the release of there own game for no good reason, sheer stupidity. I thought it was crazy enough when they delayed the game from Christmas to just over a week later (missing the big shopping season by a few days is insanity). But now this.. it seems that Capcom are doing everything in there power to screw up the release of a great game (there biggest game in a long time).
Shareholders. Capcom needed to show they are serious about making money. This move does not damage RE4 sales really. Everyone who's turned off to it is either a flaming GC fanboy or will wait and buy the game on the PS2. The real loser here is Nintendo, and Capcom cares more about its shareholders than it does about Nintendo.

It's pretty sad that Cube's 3rd party exclusive support is almost zero now. Geist and Baten Kaitos are basically irrelevant.

Res Evil 4 is still GC exclusive you know. As is Killer 7 for a while as well (Viewtiful Joe 2 is also out on GC first but that's only by a month).

Given past trends, there's only good reason to believe RE4 would be a solid seller for the GC. RE games on the GC never sold as well as expected, and RE4 has to compete with all the previous titles, too. There just is not good reason to expect RE4 would have been an extremely good seller on the Cube.

Never sold as well as who expected? I don't remember anyone here thinking games like Res Evil and Res Evil 0 would sell much better then they did. As I've said before, those games were just the same old Res Evil with new graphics. While they were still reasonably big games, and sold like it too, people did not expect them to be smash hits. Res Evil 4 was the real Res Evil game people were waiting for.

Of course there is every reason to expect that it would sell extremely well. Its not just the most anticipated game on GC but its consistently been in the top few most anticipated games on any system for a while now (according to actual stats on sites like gamestats).

This move does not damage RE4 sales really. Everyone who's turned off to it is either a flaming GC or will wait and buy the game on the PS2.

I don't believe that's the case. Hype is important for the more mainstream gamer and exclusivity is often a big part of that. This announcement takes focus off that and will inevitably damage sales of the game to some degree. It could make up for that when its released on PS2, even at the end of the generation. But it could have sold the same number on PS2 then with our without this extremely poorly timed announcement.

Vysez said:
:?: RE just like GTA is a pure mainstream product, the PSone versions solds Millions. There's no such thing as a Multi millions seller "Hardcore gamer" game. Because it's nowhere Hardcore, it's plain and simple mainstream.
"Family games" are no more the best sellers.

we must then have different ideas of what's hardcore and what's mainstream. in my book neither RE nor GTA are mainstream products - check their esrb ratings for starter -- you won't able to buy a GTA series game here in toronto if you're 16 or below effective from this spring -- how's that for a 'mainstream' game? if you're twenty-year-old and you play console games to a degree where you invest enough hrs a week so you could actually finish a game like GTA in a reasonable time - that could easily qualify you as a hardcore gamer. of course that does not mean that GTA does not have a fair share of its sales coming from the mainstream shoppers, but that has other factors involved than it being hardcore or not.

anyways, we're getting way too far from the subject: i say that this genius 're4 going ps2' announcement will affect RE4 sales negatively for the whole of its lifetime. if you think otherwise then share your reasons.

BTW, i choosed the HP example to deny the idea that a game can't sell boatload after the next-gen consoles entered the market. :D

harry potter sold a boatload _only_because_ it was a classic case of a big mainstream title. comparing it to RE still makes no sense -- the majority of parents will not be getting RE4 to their teen kids no matter whether you or i think it's a mainstream title.

Back